Ann Patchett

Options
I'm currently reading Run, by Ann Patchett. Bel Canto is one of my all time favourite books, and I also loved the Magician's Assistant.

Any more Ann Patchett fans?

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Seriously!!! If you've never read Ann Patchett, go buy her books! I love her writing!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Love her writing, too.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've just finished Run. She seems to be really good at original plots, and I love her writing. Run was very tight - most of the novel takes place over about 24 hours, so to make a pacy and interesting plot, and create interesting characters in such a short time frame is really impressive! I loved it!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I just read the magician's assistant. Have to say it wasn't my favorite. I felt like she was overly wordy and the plot just never rang true for me. Not bad, just not as good as I was expecting.
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just read the magician's assistant. Have to say it wasn't my favorite. I felt like she was overly wordy and the plot just never rang true for me. Not bad, just not as good as I was expecting.

I agree. I liked Run, though, and loved Bel Canto.
    Who else are your favourites, author-wise?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

I agree. I liked Run, though, and loved Bel Canto.
    Who else are your favourites, author-wise?

Thanks, I'll give Run a try. I think she is very readable. I like a lot of things as long as they are reasonably well written or entertaining, but some of my other favorites are Mark Helprin (especially A Winter's Tale and Freddy and Fredericka), Michael Chabon (Yiddish Policeman's Union), Jennifer Egan, and George Saunders. Probably a lot of others that are escaping me. Any other recommendations along those lines would be welcome!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I havent read ann patchett but will check her out.
    My favorites are
    Jodi Picoult
    Danielle Stelle
    Ann Rule
    Neil Gaiman
    Dale Cramer..., check them out

I am kinda all over the place depends on my mood