May we be Wellness Warriors

Options
HoneyBadger302
HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
Post here for your May 2023 accountability! Let's keep going ladies, spring is when things tend to fizzle as the chaos of summer begins - we need to prioritize ourselves, too!

Replies

• k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great title for a Motivating May @HoneyBadger302 ! Thanks for the launch. I got a 45mins weight session done this morning, so feeling virtuous so far.

But I've broken the strap on my Garmin vivo. Im without a watch or step/pace/mileage/calorie counter. Ack. Feeling rather lost! Anyone with a fitness watch the highly recommend? I have a Samsung Android if that is a consideration. Have a great day ladies!
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    @k8richly I just have a FitBit Inspire, nothing too fancy but I like the app and small size of the device. I still wear a regular watch though...I'm hard on watches though so have been resistive to buying an expensive device that would do it all.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks @HoneyBadger302! Excited to start May and in my teens!! Yay. It’s a lot for my size but hope to reach my goal weight of 115 this month!

Crazy last few weeks. I was castatrophisizing - had abnormal mammogram which led to x then y then z then wait and wait - all’s good - but my anxiety levels were off the charts. Had convinced myself that not concentrating on my own health was coming back to bite me!

When is your 50th @k8richly? Next month, right?

I have a Fitbit HR 3 - I can’t recommend it - I’ve only has Fitbits and after a year they tend to malfunction.
  • mandycat_florida
    mandycat_florida Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit 5. It was okay for the price; Costco had it on sale for about $79. I use it primarily to measure distances run/walked but I'm not all that confident about its ability to measure effort expended. I've worn it huffing and puffing on my rowing machine as though pursued by bloodthirsty pirates: not a peep. On the other hand, it congratulated me on my good work as I walked back to my car after a recent hair appointment. Apparently 90 minutes in a salon chair gets you a pat on the back. Could have been the spike in my beats per minute when I got the tab.
  • Cora0477
    Cora0477 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    5’4” 47 y/o

5/05: 135.2

I’m struggling to stay consistent. Last week ended a bit off the rails. And then my husband took me for a weekend getaway for my birthday and I didn’t count anything for a few days.

I have not done strength training at all this week, but did finish my 5K running program on Monday and started 10K Pacer today. I’m not fast, but I am progressing.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @RobinAlex666 You look great! Abs City, Gir! You have no problem hitting your goal this month! Keep up the great work!

Happy Birthday, @Cora0477! You’ll get back on track soon I’m sure. Progression, not perfection.

Yeah, @mandycat_florida. I don’t get my Fitbit at times either.

Yeah so, does colonoscopy prep weight loss count as weight loss? 🤞😬🤪
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back on track for a cut/lean out. Glad this group is going strong!

Since puffing up from stress snacking 2020 - 2021, I’ve started most weeks / days out strong but by the days end… ugh. So my maintenance skills are ok, it’s only 10 lbs and I’ve been strength training the whole time.

I have to get in the right mindset again and stay motivated and consistent.
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Day 1, Phase 1 for me today. Was supposed to be a horsey riding day, but they just had adjustments done, and while I could go lunge him, lunging would only be about an hour and way less of a workout for me, and with it being a 2 hour round trip drive, will probably grab le floof dog and go hiking instead (if the drive was less I'd go do the horsey stuff for an hour and just get something else done later indoors, but not worth 2 hours of driving for a 20-30 minute lunging session).
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm back from the diving trip. Unfortunately, I probably caught the flu or Covid (my doctor doesn't test anymore) on the way there. I've had 4 amazing days and then on day 5 I started to have a sore throat and it just went downhill from there. I had to stop diving (of course the rest of the group did see the most amazing things those days (a giant sunfish, a group of hammerheads hunting sardines, etc...). Then I got on the plane back feeling like a pile of snot and I had the privilege of being both landsick and ill with flu at the same time. And guess what I do when I really feel ill: I eat! Somehow I start to think that I need a lot of nutrients to get over sickness sooner. It doesn't work that way, but my brain is wired strangely when it comes to being sick and eating (thanks Mom!) So yeah, during the trip I probably lost but then back home I put it all back on. :#

But now I start to feel better and it's back in the straps I say! I've started to eat right again, fill in my eating logs daily and as from Monday I'm back at the gym. Hopefully my lungs will feel ok again to start diving next Thursday. I'm always on the safe side with those, one has only one pair of lungs...

Anyway, here are the last stats of April and the goals for May:

* I got seriously behind with steps, being sick in bed. I'll have to make up for it but I know that is manageable.
    * continue to read Becks flashcards: check
    * 2 fitness sessions / week: as from Monday I hope to be well enough to restart, I'll have some catching up to do there.
    * Lose a bit: I've gained around 1kg/2lbs and I now still need to lose 2 kg/4lbs. I think this will happen somewhere around mid june. My goal end of May is 71 - currently 72,5
    * Biking and diving: I still had 15 dives in Egypt, no biking of course. Hubby has his new car which has a bike rack, so if I feel well enough, we'll drive somewhere to do a long bikeride. The weather is still fall instead of spring here with loads and loads of rain, but the coming weekend would be dry.

Sorry for the long post. I wish you all a fab weekend ladies!! :kissing_heart:
  • Antiopelle
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Ah, and one pic. I've done my 2.000th dive while on the trip and the crew baked a special cake for me B)

q6mgll7i8lhl.png

• Antiopelle
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @k8richly: I am very happy with my fitbit Charge 4. I find it very reliable, also for my expended calories.
    I've kept an excel file with my expended cals, my eating cals from MFP and my weight trend, and it is pretty amazing to see that it is really spot on. Sometimes with a glitch from one week to another, but assuming that is water weight shifting around I'd say the science is right.

@RobinAlex666: wowzy girl, you rock it!!

@CeeBeeSlim: ow, the mammograph rollercoaster... I've been there as well. All turned out allright but I still need an exam every 6 months. The waiting for the results is the worst part. I'm glad for you it is all good.
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Ugh, scale is not being friendly to me this week - of course back to the workouts, and wasn't sure what diet I wanted to stick with since I'm switching up my lifting to a more intermediate training program, but would also like to cut this fat down a bit more (yes, I got impatient with the recomp since just a few days of eating without tracking and a few pounds piled right back on - grrrr. Definitely a little sore, too, so while I know that's part of it, kind of feeling like I'm ready to try a bit of a cut....I've just never done bulk/cut cycles before, although I understand the concept.
    So far, so good on my Phase 1, although work has been quiet this week which kind of makes it feel like a cheater week. I won't lie though, those 5 minute cold showers are AWFUL. I'll do them to get through the phases and just to make myself uncomfortable and help build that "mental toughness" but they are a miserable experience for me LOL.

• mandycat_florida
    mandycat_florida Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @RobinAlex666

Yeah so, does colonoscopy prep weight loss count as weight loss? 🤞😬🤪

I went to pick up my own colonoscopy prep kit today. The pharmacy tech and I had a good giggle when I told her that after I ordered a kit two years ago my prescription drug plan sent me an email with the cheery news that I could save money by having one of these sent to me every month. I told the tech that over the years I've done some pretty wacko things in the name of weight control but even I would draw the line at this 12 times a year. Eeeeeee-yuuuuuuk!

• ZaraSwe
    ZaraSwe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here and hope to get lots of motivation and encouragement from you all in this group. I started gym training five weeks ago. I'm skinny fat and need to put on a lot of muscle. Some days the hate for my body feels enormous, other days I feel stronger. So far, I don't see a big difference in my body, but I understand that patience is key.

Does anyone have tips on how to build muscle and lose fat at the same time? I've heard of body recomp.

Cheering for all of you!!!!
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    Welcome @ZaraSwe! You will find this group very supportive. However, for body recomp I think you will find more info on the general forum.

My stats from last week:

* Monday to Wednesday was still no stepping days, but my weekly total is 57k - 23k steps behind yearly goal. But I'm back in the game now and that will easily be fixed.
    * continue to read Becks flashcards: check. I still feel that this is key to stay consistent.
    * 2 fitness sessions / week: I still don't feel well enough to go to the gym, I'll see coming Wednesday./
    * Lose a bit: I've gained a little, currently 72,9 as moving average. My goal end of May is 71, which is still doable I think.
    * Biking and diving: no dives last week, but we went biking in between thunderstorms. Total is 476 km this year.

In general I still don't feel very well: headaches, upset stomach and extremely tired. I'll have to push it aside as I have a ridiculous workload the coming three days. Thursday and Friday are bank holidays here, so basically I have to cram the whole workweek in three days.

Enjoy your week ladies !
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @Antiopelle - sorry you’re not feeling well. Hoping you feel better soon and can really rest Thursday and Friday.

@mandycat_florida Lordy! I always heard how bad the prep was and how disgusting the prep concoction tasted. Silly me thought folks were exaggerating!!

@ZaraSwe - @jbanx256 has been an incredibly knowledgeable and helpful resource for us not-so-heavies. Maybe she can help if she sees this!!💪💪
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    @ZaraSwe definitely do a quick search for body recomp or recomposition threads on here; there are a ton of them.

The good thing is, since you're VERY new to the gym, muscle gain will come (relatively) quickly and easily, but that's assuming you're providing adequate stimulus. Recomp overall is also significantly easier/faster for newbs, so let that work to your advantage.

What kind of lifting program (if any) are you doing? What's your volume look like? How hard are you working (in terms of RIR or RPE)?

Are you logging/tracking everything that passes your lips? What kind of surplus or deficit are you currently running? Were you dieting prior to 5 weeks ago (when you started going to the gym)? If so, for how long & how much did you lose over that period of time? Height, weight, estimated (even if total ballpark) bodyfat? How much protein are you currently consuming/day?
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Day 9, Phase 1. The cold showers SUCK. Minute 1: sucks, but kinda feels good. Min 2: Not too bad! Min 3: okay, this is starting to just plain old suck. Min 4-5: I hate everything about my life right now.

Scale back to where I left off a few weeks ago, 149.4 today.

Transitioned to an intermediate lifting plan, 4x week; horse rides 2x/week (hunter/jumper); moto ride most weekends; and then various other outdoor cardio on alternate days (walks, hikes, spinner bike, weighted vest walks, yoga) depending on the day.

Yesterday I had a big career-based exam scheduled, so my day was busy from the get go, but got it all in without too much stress. Exam was 180 scenario based questions, with a 4 hour time allotment. Took me about 3 hours total - but my brain was OVER IT by the last 1/3 of the test. All my ADHD coping skills were maxed, and it was all my willpower and then some to force my brain to keep refocusing...
    But, I PASSED! "Above Target" in all three categories, and now I can have this to hang my hat on!
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    Luckily, I started to feel much better last week. Also the weather has finally gotten much better!!

My stats from last week:

* Monday to Wednesday was heavy on workload and endless meetings, then from Thursday till Sunday we went diving with friends, hence very low on steps: only 50k which puts me 50k behind from my year goal. I'll have to catch up here!!
    * continue to read Becks flashcards: check. I still feel that this is key to stay consistent.
    * 2 fitness sessions / week: between the meetings and all the diving, there was no opportunity to go to the gym, but I have an appointment tonight. I'm getting back at it.
    * Lose a bit: 72,7 moving average, which is a tiny little bit less than last week. But when I look at it long term, I've been hovering around this weight for the past two months. If I am honest, I'm pretty comfy at this weight, which makes it harder to stay motivated. However, there is a big issue: that is that I' don't want to get too comfy, and start gaining again and that is the big risk at this very moment. So I'll still aim to lose just to make sure I stay in the right mindset.
    * Biking and diving: 5 dives last week, no biking. The last four days were a great break: diving, sunshine, bbq with friends we hadn't socialized with since 2020... It was really great.

Now back to work.
    You all have a great week ladies ! :kissing_heart: