Giving everyone a wave

2t9nty
2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
How are things going for you?

Replies

• JudyValentine3
    JudyValentine3 Posts: 39 Member
    I'm doing pretty good. How about yourself?
    My A1C was down to what my doctor likes. 7%, which keeps me from having lows, and because of the damage to my pancreas, really is the best I can expect without lows.
    I am trying to work my budget in a new and different way. I usually check the sales before I do groceries, then stock up on stuff. But, when I do that, Most of my food budget is shot before the middle of the month. Since I only get paid the first of each month, that can cause issues by the end of the month.
    So, how does everyone else do groceries. I've divided my June food budget into 4 weeks, which gives me 85 dollars per week. The trick I guess is only buy what I need and avoid nonsense purchases.
    Any tips
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I am doing OK. My wife had back surgery, and so I have been helping her as she recovers from it.

I think $85 a week is pretty much a "just in time" strategy. I know for me, the damage control is key. That would be the nonsense purchases.

I am the grocery guy here. My wife and I use an app called Cozi on the phone so if she sees we are running low on something, she can put it on the list and I will have in on my phone when I am shopping.

I have a fairly regular set of things I get. Some things are seasonal like turkey, and I will buy one for the freezer when they are on sale.

In terms of veggies, I am a fan of the Walmart frozen ones. There is no prep (besides 5 min in the m'wave), and we split the bag, so no leftovers there.

Speaking of leftovers - cooking for two is one of those things where I cook a chicken (cheaper whole), and then will have leftover chicken the next day for lunch. This makes for a couple of cheap meals.

Dunno if that helped any...
  • JudyValentine3
    JudyValentine3 Posts: 39 Member
    It does. I am using the same stategies as you I guess. I have stopped stocking up during sales. Honestly, do I really need 10 jars of instant coffee? So, I've limited the 'stock up' to two of whatever is on sales that I use. I'm not a fan of frozen veggies or veggies. When I do cook a veggie, it's either broccoli or asparagus. And, living alone, I cook for two, like you, and use the leftovers the next day. So, I guess, everyone is in the same boat and trying their best. Thanks. I revealing my age, I look at the flyers online, make a list and take that to the store. You see the looks I get from the younger folks.