What other exercise do you do??

Options
I have finally found commitment and willpower I have never had before since starting Insanity and I am eating well (although not sticking to the diet) and have just started week 5!!

I am desperate to keep my daily exercise calorie burn as high as possible so have started the 30 Day Shred as well as Insanity - which I must say is nothing in comparison to what Shaun T puts us through!! :D

I wonder what you all do, or can advise I try to keep burning as many calories as possible!

Elaine

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have finally found commitment and willpower I have never had before since starting Insanity and I am eating well (although not sticking to the diet) and have just started week 5!!

I am desperate to keep my daily exercise calorie burn as high as possible so have started the 30 Day Shred as well as Insanity - which I must say is nothing in comparison to what Shaun T puts us through!! :D

I wonder what you all do, or can advise I try to keep burning as many calories as possible!

Elaine

Frankly I think that is a bad mindset to have, do workouts that you enjoy and will stick with vs just chasing a high cal burn. A legit strength training program wouldn't hurt either
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    ^what he said. I got tiny burns and happy with my results. Lift heavy.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Er, I lift heavy. That's it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Elaine

Frankly I think that is a bad mindset to have, do workouts that you enjoy and will stick with vs just chasing a high cal burn. A legit strength training program wouldn't hurt either

Agreed. You basically get diminishing returns re calorie burn from endurance type routines also.

Good read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Re the specific question - I just lift weights and go for occasional walks.
  • Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your feedback, I recognise a couple of you from other very very good forum postings I have read and know already that you know your stuff so thank you again.

Would any of you be able to suggest a suitable starting point for home strength workouts? I do not have the access to a gym or space/money for a great deal of equipment but already own a set of dumbbells and have been following a few websites with different moves for use of dumbbells on them.

I would love to know if what I can do with dumbbells could be enough to sort me out :)

Thanks again and my apologies for being one of these much hated naive people of MFP! :laugh:
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your feedback, I recognise a couple of you from other very very good forum postings I have read and know already that you know your stuff so thank you again.

Would any of you be able to suggest a suitable starting point for home strength workouts? I do not have the access to a gym or space/money for a great deal of equipment but already own a set of dumbbells and have been following a few websites with different moves for use of dumbbells on them.

I would love to know if what I can do with dumbbells could be enough to sort me out :)

Thanks again and my apologies for being one of these much hated naive people of MFP! :laugh:

You are not much hated!! We ALL started out naïve!! The only people much hated are those unwilling to keep an open mind and try new things!!

I have a lot of weight to lose so I lift heavy 3x a week. I also do turbo fire or the elliptical 2x a week. Instead of my old hour long workouts that I dreaded, I do high intensity interval training. I am done in 25-30 minutes and am sweating like I had run an hour on the elliptical.

Get New Rules of Lifting for Women. Awesome book!! Or stronglifts is good from what I have heard. Google bodyweight exercises too. That will get you started at home. Good luck!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No apologies necessary - it really is not annoying/hated/whatevs...you have valid questions that many people want to know the answer to.

What dumbbell weights do you have? There are a lot of things you can do just dumbbells and bodyweights.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you want to do the cardio for the sake of cardiovascular fitness then sure - go ahead. But for weight loss purposes, burning calories is redundant. If you didn't want those calories in your body, you could've just not eaten them in the first place. Why eat them just to burn them off - they cancel each other out so you may as well have saved the time, effort, and money and done neither.

So, we're all agreed, you need to lift some weight.

If you don't have much home workout equipment that's fine. You obviously will have a much wider range of options to workout if you join a gym but you can certainly make a good start at home with nothing more than the dumbbells you have and some bodyweight exercises.

Have a look on bodybuilding.com - a lot of the workout plans on there will, obviously, be far too advanced for you. Don't get bogged down in any of that stuff just yet. But they have a really good part of the site where they list hundreds of different type of exercises, each one tagged with the equipment needed, the muscles targeted, and the difficulty level. You can filter it down to the Nth degree and that's where it becomes very useful because you can filter to just the equipment you have and the muscles you want to target.

Here's a search I've saved, filtered down to only stuff that can be done with dumbbells, or bodyweight, and is at beginner level:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/saved/id/7570/main-muscle/abdominals-abductors

You should be able to do anything in that list with what you've got. Cherrypick a few that you like and go for it.

Use the top left filter to select which muscle groups you want to target, sort by rating, and and follow the guides. They have videos, diagrams and descriptions for almost every exercise. It's very useful.

Hope this helps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking for admin purposes so we can track active threads. Please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel to unlock if you have further questions, including a link to this thread, and we will unlock so you can pose them.
This discussion has been closed.