Pre-Challenge Activity #4: Exercise Plan

Options
2Β»

Replies

• Kristen525c
    Kristen525c Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My activity level is currently very low. Like, nearly zero, and when it's above that it isn't intentional. I work from home, rarely leave my house, and don't get many steps in. I live in a rural area and don't have a safe outdoor area to walk, but I do have a treadmill out in the shed (insulated, air conditioned, and with a TV!) collecting dust. My plan is to start small and spend at least 15 minutes per day, 3 days/week walking on the treadmill. As the weeks progress, I will add a little time, speed, and incline. By the end of the 8 weeks, my goal is to be up to 30 minutes/day, 5 days/week. I really want to be able to walk through a parking lot without losing my breath.

Well...my treadmill bit the dust tonight. Figures I finally WANT to use it and can't. I will have to rethink my exercise plan.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I am on an exercise plan set up by rehab post surgery. I have added a few of my own and will gradually add more as I feel my knee is ready. Walking is a major part of the plan , so will be increasing my steps as I get comfortable with what I am doing, then push for the next level , but gradually is the key.
    I do weights and exercise bands on alternate weeks. Living rurally the journey to town to a club or fitness center just is not feasible. I have set up an exercise room in a spare bedroom and intent to put it to good use.
  • 1AncientSage
    1AncientSage Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is to do more walking, practice my Tai Chi more and to add strength training in the mix. Simply put I plan to move more and intentionally.
  • 15Katharina06
    15Katharina06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    my plan is:

3 times a week i want to go swimming for an hour
    in the middle of july i start with 2 times the week additional running of 5 km
    10 000 steps a day
  • ThursLins
    ThursLins Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Most of my planned activites are 40-60 minutes each.
    Line dance, 1d-2x weekly.
    Water aerobics, 3x weekly.
    Walking, whenever possible.
    1-2 rest days weekly.

• mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Pre-Challenge Activity #4: Exercise Plan

Thanks for a thoughtful way to frame an exercise plan, Kali!

This one is easy ... and intimidating for me. Easy because I've maintained a 10k/day goal streak for over 18 mos now.

Intimidating bc I know I need to add strength training and stretching or yoga to my weekly exercise diet ... but I've thought about it for more than a year now, but haven't done it.

I'm going to strive to make some inroads on those areas this summer, while maintaining my daily steps goal streak πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈβœ¨

On edit -

Well, looking back at Pre-Challenge Activity #1, I wrote this:

My goals and hopes for the challenge are:
    (snip ...)
    2.) To add strength training and or stretching/yoga to my daily exercise. I really need to do more than walking.

And, looking back at Pre-Challenge Activity #2, I wrote this:

(snip ...)
    2.) I will strive to add 1 strength training session, and 1 stretching or yoga session, to my weekly exercise diet. Any length of time! Just beginning and maintaining something regular will be a good launching place to be at, for the next Seasonal 5% jaunt around the world! πŸ€—πŸŒπŸŒŽπŸŒπŸŒπŸ—ΊοΈ

So I guess I'll do more than 'strive to make some inroads' with adding strength training and stretching or yoga to my exercise diet πŸ˜‰. I will, more specifically, add 1 of each of strength training sesh, and a stretching or yoga sesh, to my weekly exercise diet. πŸ˜„πŸ‘βœ¨

Geez, I was already getting a bit fuzzy in my intentions in this regard! 🀣

Cheers!
    - mk :): (Maine)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pre-Challenge Activities
    #1 thru #3 :

Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT!
    Thanks for posting the history of the challenge, and the link to the SparkTeams blog article. Interesting reading!

(I also signed up at one of the other challenges mentioned, that also migrated from SparkPeople 😎)

Stopping at that point for now. I'll be back for the actual Pre-Challenge Activity #1 πŸ‘

Cheers!
    - mk :) (Maine πŸŒ§οΈβ˜”)

I am back to finish.

(I really did enjoy reading that history, ty for posting it!)

I have been in an 18-mos 10k/day steps goal since Dec 4, 2021 thanks to a really great bunch of people I was lucky enough to stumble upon at Fitbit. We had a daily goal day challenge every day until the day Fitbit killed their challenges and open groups in March 2023 😩😑.

I am here at MFP for the food logging tools (which are vastly better than Fitbit's, btw!). I joined some challenges hoping to reinforce that, bc I need it. While I did manage to lose 30 lbs over about 18 mos at Fitbit (started 6 mos before steps goal streak started), I regained it all plus 5+ lbs more this fall and winter 😬.

1.) To maintain/reinforce food logging habit that I restarted on Apr 30 (May 1?) of this year

2.) To add strength training and or stretching/yoga to my daily exercise. I really need to do more than walking.

Cheers!
    - mk :)

Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
    So, I did write my Goals and Hopes in Pre-Challenge Activity #1. Copying it here:
    Thanks for posting the history of the challenge, and the link to the SparkTeams blog article. Interesting reading!

(I also signed up at one of the other challenges mentioned, that also migrated from SparkPeople 😎)

Stopping at that point for now. I'll be back for the actual Pre-Challenge Activity #1 πŸ‘

Cheers!
    - mk :) (Maine πŸŒ§οΈβ˜”)

I am back to finish.

(I really did enjoy reading that history, ty for posting it!)

I have been in an 18-mos 10k/day steps goal since Dec 4, 2021 thanks to a really great bunch of people I was lucky enough to stumble upon at Fitbit. We had a daily goal day challenge every day until the day Fitbit killed their challenges and open groups in March 2023 😩😑.

I am here at MFP for the food logging tools (which are vastly better than Fitbit's, btw!). I joined some challenges hoping to reinforce that, bc I need it. While I did manage to lose 30 lbs over about 18 mos at Fitbit (started 6 mos before steps goal streak started), I regained it all plus 5+ lbs more this fall and winter 😬.

1.) To maintain/reinforce food logging habit that I restarted on Apr 30 (May 1?) of this year

Cheers!
    - mk :)

To zoom in on that further, the logging is sticking this time (yay!), so I'll sharpen that goal by stating:

1.) I will strive to come in under my calories budget for the week (average).

And I'll really put myself on the spot with the second goal/hope of adding strength training and/or stretching (or yoga) to my cardio 10k/day (& 20-min+ daily) of tracked exercise per day. I've mumbled for over a year about adding those elements, so I'll drill down on that, and hopefully bring it to reality, by stating that:

2.) I will strive to add 1 strength training session, and 1 stretching or yoga session, to my weekly exercise diet. Any length of time! Just beginning and maintaining something regular will be a good launching place to be at, for the next Seasonal 5% jaunt around the world! πŸ€—πŸŒπŸŒŽπŸŒπŸŒπŸ—ΊοΈ

Cheers!
    - mk :) (Maine)

Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

My eating plan would tie into my #1 goal:

Assignment #1:
    1.) To maintain/reinforce food logging habit that I restarted on Apr 30 (May 1?) of this year.

Assignment #2:
    To zoom in on that further, the logging is sticking this time (yay!), so I'll sharpen that goal by stating:

1.) I will strive to come in under my calories budget for the week (average).

My 'eating plan' started back in July '21. It started out focusing on fiber. I tried first, to eat >20g fiber per day. Then I tried to tie it to a benchmark (the RDA, actually), of 14g per 1,000 calories consumed.

I realized it was difficult to hit my fiber goals without eating veggies and fruits, so I added a goal if 3 cups of veggies per day, and 2 cups of fruits per day, or their equivalent.

Then I started noticing my protein intake was always near the bottom range of the US RDA. So, I read up on optimal protein intake, and learned fir the first time, that women over 50, as well as anyone trying to lose weight, has protein daily requirements that are significantly higher than the US RDA bottomed range. So I started aiming fir 100g of protein daily. This I never hit, until I started adding protein powder and nonfat dry milk powder to my morning tea, instead of a splash of nf milk. Then, as I went along, and started losing some weight, I changed this to trying to get >=20% of my daily calories from protein.

I also had long ago stopped using salt at the table, and only in limited quantities when cooking, so I did try to use lower sodium things.

And ... I tried to keep fats to below 30% of calories, and really limited saturated fats. For example, I stopped using butter to fry, sauteed, or broil. I used olive oil instead. Yep, even with eggs - try it, it's fine! πŸ‘πŸ˜„

So, anyway, that dll went great as long as I was food logging, which I did daily for almost 6 mos. I kept losing weight - slowly - so I thought I was good without logging. But ... creep is real! Little by little, I stopped hitting my targets, or even really trying, except I still only used olive oil to cook, rather than butter, I didn't use added salt, and I had protein tea every day.

Annnnnnddd .. I gained back all 30 lbs that it took me 18 mos to lose. So, her I am, starting again. I 'sort if' have the same meal plan targets in mind, but for now, I'm just concentrating on daily logging, and trying to stay within calories goal. Fine tuning, and that other stuff will come later. I promise! πŸ˜„

Cheers!
    - mk :) (Maine)

• amberlinamk1
    amberlinamk1 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My plan is:

To workout at least 3 times a week…

I also researched the best workout to do to lose weight and keep my curves. So I will be doing HIIT with weights.

2-3 times a week I will walk. I already walk 2 miles 2x a week at work so I will add another day or two at home walking on the beach which I feel will hopefully also increase my mood.
  • bbonet3
    bbonet3 Posts: 2,387 Member
    Options
    I was going to the gym 3/4 times a week but due to back problems I am on restriction. I’m currently doing PT so I will do that and incorporate as much walking as I can without pain.
  • Chubbynomore10
    Chubbynomore10 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I did rehab for my pelvic floor last fall and continue those exercises which were gradually increased to the end and take an hour daily. I plan to continue those daily and the second hour will consist of some form of weight training for at least 30 minutes and some form of aerobic exercise for at least 15 minutes with at least 15 minutes of stretching as a cooldown. I will vary those exercises to work different muscles daily.
  • tech_hunter
    tech_hunter Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Exercise:
    1. Weights, full body, 3X a week (M-W-F). I already do this.
    2. Yoga T-Th. So, I am doing something good on my off days. It helps with my balance.
    3. 30 minutes a day of walking added to my daily routine. I am inside at home working, and I need to take breaks to get exercise, but also to rest my brain.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,757 Member
    Options
    bump