Week 4 (9/2/13- 9/9/13)

Options
A new month and a new opportunity to spend daily time with God/ reading the Bible. It feels so good to be in God's word daily. There is a closeness and an increase of faith that comes with it that is hard to describe. Please post what you are reading this week/ anything that you feel could benefit us in our lives with God and others.

Replies

• auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Today I read Ecclesiastes 3-5 and studied translation notes. I discovered Richard Alter's translation and commentary and LOVE it. He is not a Christian to my knowledge, but he is Jewish and knows his Hebrew.
  • Erithil
    Options
    Made it to Lamentations 3 today!

"The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail.
    "They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness.
    " 'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul, 'therefore I have hope in Him.'
    "The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him.
    "It is good that he waits silently for the salvation of the Lord."

Lamentations 3:22-26

<3
  • auntsammy88
    Options
    Today I ready Ecclesiastes Ch 7. Today was also Bible Study night. We read Isaiah 53, which is SUCH a powerful chapter. You should definitely read it. It describes the Messiah so well.
  • auntsammy88
    Options
    Today was Eccl. Ch 8 and 9. It's amazing how different the perspective of the writer is from the rest of the bible about many different things. Learning a lot.
  • Erithil
    Options
    I finished Lametations yesterday... I will start Daniel tomorrow. I have an audioBible on my phone so I've started listening to that to help me fall asleep, since I've been trying to go to bed earlier but my body isn't used to that so it is difficult. Also I listened while I jogged this morning - that was a first for me!
    I've been listening to the Gospel of John and a bit of Acts too, but reading works better for me because I usually catch myself zoning out while the audio is playing. I like the concept of surrounding myself and burying myself in God's words like "NewLife" said a while ago, but reading is better for when I need to focus on them. (:
  • auntsammy88
    Options
    Yesterday I didn't have internet connection, but I did read Eccl. Ch 10. Tonight will be 11 and possibly 12. Not sure what I will read next, but I'm thinking possibly proverbs. I'm loving my new translation and commentary of the wisdom books (eccl., prov., job), so I think it'll be fun to read them all. I love the idea of listening/surrounding yourself with God's word all the time too, though I need to read it to truly concentrate on it. Christian music helps me to do this because so many of the songs use quotes from the Bible in the lyrics.
  • auntsammy88
    Options
    I decided to start proverbs. Yesterday I read ch 1-4 and today my reading was ch 5. It feels really good to read daily. I would like to continue this and add a goal to increase my time spent in prayer. I really want to come closer to a life where I "pray without ceasing". I want to know God intimately through both his Word (bible reading) and our conversations (prayer).