Currently Reading "Next Level" by Dr. Stacy Sims

Options
dcresider
dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
Hi there. I'm Nancy and am currently post menopausal. I literally gained 20 lbs. the last 1-2 years. Granted Covid didn't help, but now I'm on a mission to nip this in the bud before it gets out of control. I started to get back to activity starting in May where I lost 3 lbs. but then ended up gaining again. I track so not sure what is happening.

I started doing some research recently and came upon a book by Dr. Stacy Sims call "Next Level", a good read on active menopausal women. Apparently, we have to work out quite differently then the way we used to, i.e. strength training and lifting HEAVY, HITT/SIT Cardio for heart health, eating more protein, and eating the right amount of calories.

Replies

• vicky_lehmann
    vicky_lehmann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know this is an older post but I read this book too. Been changing the way I eat and workout as well. More protein, weights and things as simple as walking for cardio. Managing stress and sleep are helpful as well.
  • Lagertha6
    Lagertha6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also reading this book - impactful! Prior to I was avoiding heavy lifting as I misunderstood/inherited the belief from my mom that I should not lift heavy things. Also checking into pelvic floor strengthening. Our physiology is fascinating!
  • GracePiercy
    GracePiercy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just picked this book back up this morning as I’m working on getting in more protein and strength training again. I went plant based for the last 6 months but now adding back in eggs / egg whites, and fish. I definitely lost muscle and it’s been very hard for me to get in all the protein without daily shakes or bars.
    As far as pelvic floor work, I am convinced that’s been a lifesaver for me - physically and emotionally. I see a pelvic health PT, but there is a YouTube channel called Dr. Bri’s Vibrant Pelvic Health and she is awesome as well 🩷