Options
2»

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,229 Member
    Options
    Day 16

-1 relative to starting weight

Much better day than the previous day. Got a LOT of movement.

Still struggling a bit at the end of the day.
  • misterhub
    Options
    Day 17, Day 18, Day 19, Day 20

My weight range went from -2 to -1 to -4 and back to -1.

Little movement due to the storm...which, honestly, was just laziness on my part since I can walk in the comfort of my place.
  • misterhub
    Options
    Day 21

-1 relative to starting weight.

Pretty good day. Didn't eat a lot. Didn't want a lot.

• misterhub
    Options
    Day 22

-3 relative to starting weight.

Yeah...I went off the rails yesterday. I did not sleep the previous night. At all. And, I've realized that my decision making process is greatly affected by how exhausted and clear-headed I am. Not my best day.

That said, I still have some time to mitigate those actions.
  • misterhub
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Day 23

+/- 0 relative to starting weight.

The day before caught up with me. But, I got back on track immediately.

• misterhub
    Options
    Day 24, Day 25, Day 26, Day 27

Overall, -4 relative to starting weight.

Tempted to call the experiment early, as I have pretty much drawn my conclusions. But, I will see it through to the end (08/31/2023).
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    28 days of data is pretty good, but I’ll wait to hear your conclusions. I appreciate to taking us along vicariously (another polysyllabic word) on this experiment. I’m curious whether you conclude there’s magic in the timing of eating or whether the time limit simply increases the awareness and attention to choices. Also curious about any rebelliousness at having a time limitation, and whether that sort of reaction is more likely in the absence of an end date to the process.
  • misterhub
    Options
    Day 28

-4 relative to starting weight

Very busy day at work. However, I still managed to get some steps into the routine.

I find myself craving crunchy, salty food throughout the day. That was interesting.
  • misterhub
    Options
    Day 29 and Day 30

-4 relative to starting weight.

I declare this experiment closed.

Conclusions to follow shrotly.
  • misterhub
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Conclusions:

All conclusions are my opinion only and reflect my experience.

BLUF: Intermittent Fasting is not a magic bullet for losing weight - in and of itself. However, Intermittent Fasting, if done correctly, does cause one to focus on what the individual is eating - resulting in awareness and control.

I did not intentionally change the nature of the food I was eating. I pretty much ate the same food I would have eaten regardless, just in a time constrained manner.

What I noticed for myself is that I ended up being much more aware of my satiety levels. I'd eat as soon as 11am rolled around. I usually ate something small, like a breakfast sandwich or breakfast burrito. Then, I wouldn't be hungry again until 1:30 or 2:00. I'd eat my lunch then, and I quite honestly was not hungry until around 5pm or 6pm.

Intermittent Fasting did not resolve my issues with cravings. Nor, did it make it any easier to NOT want to nosh in the evening while watching television. Those issues remained. 11am is too late for me to eat breakfast - I generally like to eat within 2-3 hours of rising. I get up at 5am most days; so, eating in the 7am - 9am timeframe is optimal for me to start the day's consumption. Quitting at 7pm was, cravings notwithstanding, a perfectly fine time for me to stop consuming.

I did not feel any rebelliousness to the time constraints. I voluntarily committed myself to the time constraints, and when I commit to something I am pretty good at following through with it. Because the nature of my food choices did not change, there was no recalcitrance in that regard, either. I will say that, fudging the start and end times of the consumption hours became a bit easier as I neared the conclusion of the experiment.

There is nothing wrong with Intermittent Fasting. It can be a tool used to limit food consumption, and it is neither good nor bad. While it may seem a little faddish, there is recent scientific evidence that shows it to be as effective a tool as strict calorie/point counting. But, to be effective, it must be tailored and adjusted to meet the requirements of the individual using it as a tool. A certain discipline is required, and that, along with the awareness of what one consumes, is probably the key to success with Intermittent Fasting.

That said, it is not a magic bullet on its own. So, if you want to use it as a tool, use it. If you don't, then don't. It's sort of like choosing WW versus Noom versus MyFitnessPal. All choice.

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the update on that. It sounds like the magic - to the extent magic exists - is in the discipline and focus it takes.

I assume you didn’t opt to re-enlist in the Intermittent Fasting army going forward?