LC Boot Camp: Active August 2023

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member

All right, troops!
Whether you're a beginner, in your stride, or a long-time maintainer, we all have things to work on. And if you're anything like me and this last month has been BONKERS, time to get more active on your challenge.

It's time for a Bootcamp. To focus hardcore on your plan's basics and to keep your body mobile, two essential focal points for the successful low-carber, or healthy human in general.
With just LIFE itself basically being unnecessarily hard sometimes and making a nuisance of itself, things are harder to do. And life can just be unpredictable and just plain stressful. Despite....NO...INSPITE OF all this nonsense we have to deal with, we can do this! Dig deep this month and laser focus on your plan basics and figuring ways to be active.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

And right now PERSISTENCE is the key word for a lot of us. It is for me for sure.

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice or support, you'll find that here.

A daily post could look something like this.

Wed 8/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
7/7

Or maybe if being really active is your focus:
8/1:
Activity: :+1: Got up and moved around every hour during the day. Dripping-sweat yard-stomp and angry garden weeding. 13k steps.

Or you can do something less rigid and give us a verbal description of how you are faring in your pursuits. But this is your show. So focus on your basics. Whatever they are. Make this month count! Tear it up! You've got this![/quote]

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,419 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    My Goals for August are:
    *Log food daily
    *Log water daily
    *Stay with keto and IF
    *6 hours of sleep a night
    *Meal prep on Sunday's with my daughter's help
    *Home gym for 30 minutes 5 days a week
    *Drink 140 ounces of water a day
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I actually started LC boot camp last Monday as I was utterly unhappy with how I was feeling. Amazing what a week back on the LC wagon can do, I feel less bloated, have more energy and am less cranky. My August goals are in line with Megan's except the meal prep and water LOL. My garden has given me some lovely zucchini so I'll be making keto chocolate zucchini bread this afternoon and maybe some breakfast muffins.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Goals for August
    • Track food daily
    • Track water daily, Goal 96oz per day
    • Bonus if Prelog
    • Stay under Calorie Goal
    • Resume IF (18:6/16:8) with low carb focus
    • Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes daily
    • Minimum 8,500 steps per day

8/1
    • Track food daily ✅
    • Track water daily, Goal 96oz per day ✅
    • Bonus if Prelog X
    • Stay under Calorie Goal ✅
    • Resume IF (18:6/16:8) with low carb focus 🚫
    • Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes daily ✅
    • Minimum 8,500 steps per day 🚫
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I am very frustrated with this darn foot of mine ... I saw my podiatrist yesterday and I have yet another infection where there screws are in my ankle and my ankle is broken again ( I haven't done anything for this to be broken again) so I have not yet used my home gym ughhh I am not sure what is going on but I am not a happy camper
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’m late to the party this month being busy with life and darn it, I need to get this butt in gear. My focus will be 5:2 fasting and getting back to serious low carb.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    I did well all week until Friday. Had some pizza and it triggered a really bad digestive reaction so I did not eat much or log all weekend. Felt better enough to go kayaking yesterday. Back to business today.
  • taylok23
    Options
    I got through a 23 hour fast and ate mostly protein and fat for dinner. Then hubs broke out chips so I did have a few but really wasn’t feeling it. I think that is habit more than anything. Tomorrow I’ll eat when hungry which normally hits at about the 16 hour mark. My husband was supposed to be onboard with me today but he was hungry and had lunch and snacks. My guess is he’ll fast tomorrow and we’ll be out of sync. I have to remember we don’t have to eat at the same time and need to listen to our own hunger cues.
  • taylok23
    Options
    Small victory yesterday by not snacking after dinner. I felt satisfied so must have had enough fat and protein at dinner. Did a 17 hour fast before having lunch. Trying another 24 hour fast today but am feeling hungry this a.m. already so hopefully work distracts enough.
  • KetoGammie
    KetoGammie Posts: 20 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Almost 4 weeks in, 16 pounds down.
    Every day so far:
    Logged foods ✅
    Steps goal (usually met)
    In ketosis (ketostix) ✅
    In bed at a decent time ✅
    Lots of water/no sugary drinks ✅
    No processed foods (except carb tortillas occas.) ✅
    Salad (almost) every day for lunch ✅
    Weight training - beginner (new goal)

These are the things I’m focusing on with around 20-30 carbs (gross) a day and “ingredient food” meaning eating things I can pronounce.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Food has been harder to stick to a plan this week. Will make up for it the rest of today through Sunday and get in some more kayaking and hiking.
  • taylok23
    Options
    I ended yesterday with a 23 hour fast and today with 17.5 hours and low carb for lunch and dinner. No urge to snack the last couple of days so my focus on protein and fat has definitely worked. Tomorrow is a flex day as we agreed to meet the in laws for pizza. Not ideal but I’ll try and not completely go off the rails and fast on Saturday. Hope everyone is feeling some success this week!
  • LemonLizard
    LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    General August Goals:

- Go to the grocery store once a week [to encourage regular cooking of whole foods] (on track so far!)
    - Use up all groceries by end of each week [I'm forgetful; trying to avoid food spoilage] (on track so far!)
    - Brisk walking for 45 minutes x3 times a week (on track so far!)
    - Tracking all food via food scale (on track so far!)
    - Logging water daily (on track so far!)
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    You are doing fantastic!!!
    beat diabetes ytube
    Mr. Reverend Pollack
    Dr. Berry
    Dr. Hampton
    Dr. Jason Fung
    Dr. Berg
    Fully Raw Kristina
    Daily Walking/Exercise
    Intermittent Fasting
    ? One meal per day?
    25 to 100 gram carbs per day
  • taylok23
    Options
    Hey all, I’m still hanging in. I lost a little over a pound last week after doing a couple of 24 hour fasts and then doing between 16 and 18 on the other days. I’m watching carbs more closely and am making protein and fats my priority. I don’t have a lot to lose so know it will be slow going but I’m pretty sure I can keep this type of schedule with eating windows. As football season approaches the carbs may start to flex a bit more.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Really low energy some brain fog after my camping trip. I know I ate too much even if most of it was keto friendly. I feel like my electrolytes are off. The rest of this week will have to be hard core getting back into my routine. Humidity is my enemy more than any food.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Just got back from my new foot Dr yesterday ... I am allergic to the screws my old Dr put in ... 6th surgery is happening on 8/25... he is going to put in stainless steel screws and he is going to try to infuse the 2 breaks in my ankle and take out the 2 old plates and put in 2 new ones in ... I really hope this is the last surgery so that I can get my life back ughhhhh
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 that's makes so much sense now! So glad you sought a second opinion.

My work is starting a 6 week intentional movement challenge next week and I committed to 150 min per week. I really do need this kind of structure to motivate me and keep me going. I find I'm much less active without it and boredom eating creeps in.

Cheers to next week's new beginnings 🍷🍷
  • taylok23
    Options
    I had a pretty good week last week. I’m two weeks back in the saddle of low carb, no snacking and being dedicated to fasting. I did 3 days of 22-24 hour fasts and then 16-18 on the other days. I’m down about 3 pounds. Could be water so in the coming weeks I hope to make that fat loss.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I am a whole mess. Perimenopause has my body betraying me at every turn. I just keep gaining weight and not doing well. I need to start forcing myself to do the hard things. The sacrifices. Throw out the bad habits I've let creep in. I have to log my food and weigh daily to lose weight. I need accountability. I have to make this a part-time job. I need scaffolding. A lot.

So, I have a camping trip over the Labor Day holiday and the day after we return, I'll be in the September challenge, nose-to-the-grindstone. I have to. My joints are starting to hurt and my forgiving clothes aren't going to forgive me any more. I'm formulating my game plan and goals. This is the point of no return. I'll be back later in the week to put up Sept's challenge.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    @baconslave I feel you, I'm at the other end of menopause. Despite my best intentions, I also have clothes that don't fit (gained size over the summer not on the scale), joint pain is intermittent and my energy level is in the basement. Nothing I do seems to be working but I keep trying. I have to because I AM NOT BUYING MORE CLOTHES!!!!

Just put a lunch workout on my office calendar. It's a start.