HOME› GROUPS› SEPTEMBER 1 START FOR MIDDLE AGED PEOPLE...WHO IS WITH ME! I WELCOME THE COMPANY AND S

Options
Middle aged here. Yes, I am wanting to get my weight down further (my doctors want this too), but I am more focused on how I feel and my overall health. I was on MFP years ago, but I eventually stopped keeping up with it. Sometimes life gets in the way, and priorities change, and not necessarily for the better. I am thinking I have sabotaged myself on my diet, and I am needing to be held more accountable.

I am coming back to MFP at the encouragement of my trainer to help with tracking my diet. She is also encouraging me to increase my intake of just plain water. This is going to be a work in progress because I have a habit of mixing in crystal light pkts, drinking bottled diet tea or decaffeinated coffee (yep, with added splenda and probably too much creamer). However this is a huge improvement because sweet iced tea, diet soda, regular coffee were my go to drinks.

Although I have a supportive husband, sometimes I like hearing input from unbiased people who are working on similar goals. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Replies

• Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Jenny!
    I used this app and sparkspeople years ago too. I'm proud to say, I lost 45 pounds, but life got in the way and I've put the 45 pounds back on. I put most the weight on last year when I quit smoking. However, I kept some good habbits, drinking unsweetened tea, and avoid sugary drinks, like soda. Although, I also want to increase my water intake. I think it will help with my appetite, so I am not hungry all the time. As for exercising, I'm not motivated. I don't like cardio. In addition I've been dealing with an aching body, do to inflammation. I strongly believe that it is what you eat that makes the most difference. We can do this!
  • Jenny013072
    Jenny013072 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Veta,
    Congratulations on the fact you quit smoking! That is big challenge too! I don't smoke, but I have family who do. I also have problems with emotional and mindless eating. So I am looking to use MFP to help me keep track of my intake.....so I will be more aware of what I am eating....and perhaps stop me from eating when I am not truly hungry. Exercise.....yea, I know I need to do better on this....more on that at another time. LOL ;)
  • 55isfly22
    55isfly22 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good Morning😊

I’d love to join your group….Hello Jenny & Veta!
    Im Marie.
    Age 56, Height 5’4’ TW 156.4
    Goal Weight…..somewhere close to 136.4 - 20lbs

I used this app back in 2021 and was amazed that I actually lost 10lbs. I have never believed it was possible, but then again I never really made an effort or used any sort of tracking system.
    Full disclosure I have developed a binge eating issue ver the past 15+ yrs and would really like to get a handle on that!
    It seems to have become possible to stop this behaviour and as a result I have gained around 20-25lbs and am having issues with Liver, gallbladder, arthritis. (My drug is sugar over course….when is it ever broccoli or spinach!?)
    Anywayyyyy I look forward to having some company on this journey.

Congrats on quitting smoking Vetta - quitting any addictive behaviour is tough, so kudos to you👍

Jenny….The ONLY way I started drinking water( about 3 yrs ago now) was to get 2-3/32oz water bottles and fill them up. I manage to get 3 of those finished in my day and now I can’t go with out that water! I have never been able to grab a glass and drink the suggested amount per day.
    After a while it just becomes habit.
    Maybe this would work for you?

Have a great day!
  • Veta2018
    Options
    Welcome, Marie!
    Thank you for the encouraging words. It's been since Jan 5, 2022 since I had a cigarette.
    I know all about binge eating issues too. I don't have to be hungry to eat. I even binge eat healthy foods. I was thinking to myself "how can I stop eatting...I used to just have a cigarette." It's like trading one addiction for another. Now, I guess I'll drink water. I agree it's helpful to have this tracking system. It keeps me accountable for what I put in my mouth. I feel like this is going to be a good supportive group. I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.
  • petekimclaire
    petekimclaire Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The water has been an issue for me. I agree about getting some bottles and fill them up. I was a huge Diet Coke drinker (6-8) cans a day. I’ve cut down to one or some days none. I have my one cup of morning coffee and make myself drink 8oz of water before each meal and drink between bites. It will go down faster than you think and you tend to not over eat. My biggest issue is eating when I’m bored or sitting at me desk working.
  • Veta2018
    edited September 2023
    Options
    :)
  • Jenny013072
    Jenny013072 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a night shift worker. Anyone else a night shift worker or work rotating shifts? I know I run into a few problems working nights. Anyone else notice this causes one or more problems for them?
  • Veta2018
    Options
    Jenny - I don't work nights. However I do get most my cravings and binge eating at night. I can only imagine what you are going through. I set up a routine for my awake hours and try to stick with it. Like by eating something small every 3 hours and keep drinking water.