Sept 9 2023 - my intro

Options
Hi, my name is Marilyn, am 75 soon to be 76 and on this journey of changing my eating habits. Nice to see a group of ladies around the same age working on this together.

@Veta = have you considered making up a 'chat room' for each month where all the posts can be in one place. Something to think about

About me. I started losing weight in 2016 = and am down 70 pound since then. I have a long way to go as the total to lose is still over 100 pounds. But have gotten serious now - it is life or death for me.

September 2022 was in the hospital re emergency and was told I am in stage 4 kidney failure - not nice. So this past year has just been about keeping me alive and trying to make changes. They told me back then I was in serious condition and would be on dialysis before Christmas. Well a year has come and gone - and still here and without diaylsis. Kidney function is low and a concern as some other things have shown in the blood work which we are working on. I am holding my own.

They now have told me that if I want to stay of dialysis that I really need to change up the food and also move more. So since September 1 is what I have been doing. I am staying away from processed foods, lots of fresh vegetables and fruit with a little red meat once a week, chicken, turkey the other days and only 2 oz at a meal. Red meats put acid into your blood and vegetables and fruit brings the acid down - so I need to eat more of the vegetables then the meat.

Anyway it is a slow process but have also changed my thinking. I don't say 'it is hard' anymore I just do it. I dont say 'I will try' anymore I just do it. Getting rid of those 2 phrases from my speech is really helping. Oh and also absolutely no soda pop but plenty of water = 72 oz daily is what they want me to drink.

Anyway nice to read the different messages here - it would be nice if we could post on one thread for the month rather than having to scroll down to read all of them separately. Just a suggestion though.

Bye for now

Replies

• Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi Marilyn!

We are on a similar journey. I'm working towards avoiding sugar and flour too. I'm also, drinking 2 or more liters(68 oz.) a day of water. I've lost 45 pounds in 2014, but have put it back on. So here I go again.

You sure have been through a lot and kidney failure is a very scary situation. You are doing well on your journey, losing the 70 pounds, is very inspiring. And your positive attitude does make a world of difference.

I've been do my daily accountability check in here, but there was no activity, and I felt like I was in a ghost town...lol. So I tryed posting in a dicussion group but it hasn't seen any action and several days now. Now my daily check-in's are all over the place. I'm just looking for an active group for tips, support, and a place for my check in, to blend in with everyone else's. I'm not too familiar with mfp. I used mostly sparkspeople app on my last journey. So, I'm not confident in starting my own new group.

I love the suggestion of starting one thread. Since, the owner of this group is MIA, I'll start one. "September's Daily check in for support and accountability"