How was your day??

Options
A space to:
  • 📷 post your sweaty selfies or beautiful hiking scenery (safe for work obviously)
  • 🏋🏼‍♀️share today's workout details / health improvements / wellbeing activities
  • 😡 vent about a crappy day
  • 🥳celebrate a great day
  • 💓Reflect on the day e.g. gratitude, etc

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I will start with mine for yesterday.

🏋🏼‍♀️ I was dog-sitting my buddy's Collie this weekend for the first time in our new place - a bit of a challenge because of A: The heat & humidity B: The pet cats we acquired with the house C: The garden is not secure.

📷 So we had to do early morning or late evening walks. So myself & Skye have been out for a few forest walks over the weekend and exploring the village at night.
    wx64uybqjpop.png

💓My weight is back down after a bit of an uptick last week so I am grateful for that and for the good weather after a very wet Summer so we could tackle some of our garden. My other half had great fun playing with his new wood chipper to make mulch out of all the overgrown borders of the garden (we have reclaimed around 2 metres in places.

😲 Challenging few work weeks ahead as I am covering my Supervisor's absence whilst he is on holiday, so will have to keep emotional eating in check if I feel stressed.

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    📷 Active rest day today (Around 8000 steps done). So instead of activity selfies you have the rare cattimus treeus bird I found in the garden today.

adh3ainxin85.png

💓Grateful for a mini-date night meal out.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    🏋🏻‍♀️ / 💗 No workout today as one of our kitty's had a bad leg and I had to go get a pet carrier in case I needed to take her to the vet, letting her rest it for another night before I make a call on it as she is able to walk on it but a bit gingerly so might just need a night off from hunting all the mice. I had my first tutorial of this semester this evening in my Psychology introductory module, nothing too taxing and it's nice to see it's a large group online as previous course I was sometimes the only student or one of few.

📷 Pet pic again today as i have only around 4500 steps done and no sweaty betty pics but is taken in my gym / office so has context :lol:
    315pyu518tym.png

😵 Supervisor is back today so the workload should be a little lighter at work the next few weeks which I am extremely grateful for, it's been quite stressful trying to keep on top of it all and had a few supply chain issues to deal with that were unexpected. His problem now ha but he has great support staff (that'd be Me, just so we are clear) so he will be fine.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    in my Psychology introductory module
    This is exciting news. I think of you as a Psychology savant. Perhaps your Uni will let you test out, and grant you the degree directly.🤞🏽
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    🏋🏻‍♀️ Work out for today was leaf raking 🍂
    📷 Spooky season - put my halloween decorations up
    xw6ipw52icmh.png
    💗 My other half has managed to dig 3 outhouses out from the undergrowth in out house, so we should be able to convert one of them into a decent storage shed / workshop space to store bikes, etc, might even get around to fixing mine up properly (came off it 2 years ago and brakes still need looked at properly - way too many hills around here to take a chance).
    😵 Haven't really taken much time for my routine recently, due to buying the house, etc. But since my studies have started again I need to try and figure out a routine again.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I'm a fan of you adjusting your brakes and riding. On my one vacation to Cork I got a bike and rode all over. It was the highlight of Europe for me.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I'm a fan of you adjusting your brakes and riding. On my one vacation to Cork I got a bike and rode all over. It was the highlight of Europe for me.

It's an ebike so I don't mind it either although I would probably be taking my life in my own hands on our local roads ha
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    30 days of yoga to start off the year? Yup, I'm giving it a try.
    https://youtu.be/0et6I930LaU?si=sUzrHkmDs0zxzfRK

(I know I'm late...but what are you going to do?)
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the 30 day yoga challenge!

I finished Day 2 of the FLOW series today, even though I was so sore from lifting yesterday, and I'm so glad that I pushed through. I warmed up by going for a 15-minute walk with my dogs and then came back and did the video. One of the main challenges I had during this was confronting some of my limiting thoughts and taking the time to look at where my resistance and negative feelings were coming from. The acknowledgment and reframing of those thoughts really reinforced that this is the practice I need in my life right now. Plus, it was a fantastic workout :)

Also, my hound was very adorable and very unhelpful during this process. At one point, he laid down on my mat and then was startled when I did a plank over him lol. After the video was done, we had a wonderful cuddle session.

Here's the Day 2 video if anyone else wants to join!

https://youtu.be/4rZAQ2LfDAs?si=4l0BGtBHl7jCfgBi
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    I finished Day 2 of the FLOW series today

Me too. Though "Day 2" is actually my first time in the series, as I am picking it up in process.
    One of the main challenges I had during this was confronting some of my limiting thoughts and taking the time to look at where my resistance and negative feelings were coming from. The acknowledgment and reframing of those thoughts really reinforced that this is the practice I need in my life right now.

I was wholly unfamiliar with the teacher, looking at a monitor, and this style she taught. I will get the hang of it, but I felt like a small kid getting dragged along somewhere and not really sure what was happening. Then it was over.

I'm in it. See you tomorrow.
  • LenGray
    Options
    Here's the link for Day 3! https://youtu.be/SZF7Jp6SyPI?si=XbGQlt8d3B0YlR40

Day 3 is in the books, but I really struggled with this session. Those transitions from cobra to plank to downward dog to lunge were kicking my *kitten* today. Even so, I showed up and did the best I could. There were a lot of poses that I wasn't able to get in without breaking the transition and that's okay. There were times when the video was a bit too fast and I just rested until the next bit, which was also okay.

Before the session, I was feeling tired and a bit worn down. I've been increasing steps and doing yoga and it's all a bit more activity than I'm used to. I don't want to take a day off, but I'm thinking seriously about moving my yoga tomorrow to the evening, since that will maximize my rest and recovery time.

@chris_in_cal It does take a little while to get used to! The things I mentioned above are usually how I deal with it, but pausing the video, slowing the video speed, and even watching the video all the way through first are also methods I've used in the past to set myself up for success with this instructor's videos. That said, the most important thing is to just show up and breathe, imo :)
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    pausing the video, slowing the video speed, and even watching the video all the way through first
    Brilliant, I turned it UP to double speed and watched it all the way through. Then set it to normal and conducted the practice.

Yup that one two three up, then back was fast.

Synchronicity: I like drinking and decided to commit to "Dry January," after a long day at the office today I got home and a friend called with issues. Typically I'd pouring a beverage, tuck in and hear out my friend. After the call tonight I remembered 30 Day Flow. Without having kept my DJ commitment my 30DF commitment would not have happened. Things sync'd up to support me.
  • LenGray
    Options
    @chris_in_cal Glad it worked out for you! And also, congrats on using healthy habits to reinforce other healthy habits! :D Good luck with your Dry January goal!

Day 4 is officially done. Today's practice was pretty smooth, and reminded me more of a recovery yoga practice than the high-energy ones we've been doing. So far, I'm feeling pretty strong and keeping up well, though I credit that more to stretching and warming up than any skill on my part :)
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Very likely the first time I've ever done three consecutive home yoga practices.

I'm becoming more familiar with the teacher and her mannerisms, so today was less distraction wondering what the teacher was doing, and more following along with the practice.
  • LenGray
    Options
    Day 5 is done! I did the practice first thing in the morning, since I felt pretty loose and wasn't sore. This was another slower practice, but it felt really nice to do some good stretching poses. During the breathing section, I had a giggle fit because my terrier wanted to play and kept dropping his toys in my lap more and more insistently lol It was a really fun time :)

Here's the link if anyone needs it: https://youtu.be/GFY356-1K-Q?si=UktA7G46LLWyaaJC
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    A few months ago I started attending a Saturday neighborhood yoga class. I attended today. I told my teacher I had brought a third into the practice and she thought it was good.

Mixing it up and staying limber.
    🧘‍♂️
  • LenGray
    Options
    Day 6 is done! Today was a core workout and oh my goodness, I am tired! I think this was the first session so far that I had to take breaks during the practice. Even so, I did it! As hard as it was, I had a lot of fun and it also got me thinking that I should try to incorporate more core sessions into my days next week.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Mixed day yesterday:

🏋🏼‍♀️I went to a 3 hour mini yoga retreat at a community centre that's not too far away. Did 2 hours of meditation, journalling & yoga, then we had afternoon tea.

🥳 6th Jan is also Nollaig n Mban or Women's Little Christmas, an old Irish tradition, mostly lost to it's old fashioned roots - it's a 'Day Off/Night out' for the ladies after all the work of Christmas, still true in a lot of homes but not always just the ladies pitching in, anyway it's still popular in County Cork. One of the ladies from my old rowing club organised a dinner party in it's honour at her house with a lot of the female members, many of which I hadn't seen for a long time, I couldn't stay the whole evening but it was great to catch up and the food was very wholesome and delicious.

😡 After dinner I had to head home to drop my other half up to Limerick for his airport coach as he has headed home to Romania for a few days. Unfortunately the weather was very bad in Limerick - thick freezing fog and icy road conditions, his travel went ok, but I ended up spending the night in a hotel in Limerick as the visibility was too bad to safely drive whilst already tired and dark. I didn't sleep great and I am feeling the effects of some of the more challenging yoga poses and the long super-alert drive, so have a bit of a tension headache.

💓Weather was still bad this morning but got safely back to Cork early enough in the day that our cats didn't die of starvation (not that you'd believe it if you heard them once I was through the door haha)
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    if you heard them once I was through the door

Ah, poor kitties.

I once went to a yoga retreat and it was pretty meaningful. Yours 'a mini' sounds expansive...with more than only hours of poses. With danger, weather, poses, displacement from you bed, headaches, and dispatching partners, you certainly deserve a day off/night out. The Irish are doing it right.

I did day 6 of this yoga challenge. The teacher has grown on me, I'm glad @LenGrey encouraged this, they are the reason I'm in the midst of a committed home practice. Thank you.

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    if you heard them once I was through the door

Ah, poor kitties.

You wouldn't think they'd had 4 meals the day before, for sure.