What are you doing to exercise?

Options
appygirl84
appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
Hey riders! What are you doing to exercise?

With my horse currently out on pasture 3 hours away there is no riding for me right now.

I am walking and using an elliptical machine for cardio. My goal is 30 miles in September.

For Strength I am doing Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred?

What are you doing to work out?

Replies

• epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Dressage :)

I am horrible about exercise. Before I lost enough weight to ride again I bought a treadmill and walked on that fairly regularly and did some exercises on the Wii fit.

But since I started riding again, I can't get into doing those other forms of exercise. I also know that when I started riding again I was more winded than my horse from the rising trot.

Pip
  • appygirl84
    Options
    I am hoping to make riding one of my exercises of choice again soon! I am getting an MRI next week and the results may change my equine status as I know it. Basically I may sell two bratty horses and hope I have enough to buy one bomb proof horse depending on what my results are.

In the mean time I am enjoying the burn of machines!
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I work out in the gym twice and week with my Personal trainer.

I also run 2 - 3 times a week.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow horsepeople: I injured my shoulder April 30 and have been unable to exercise other than walking and now physical therapy, so pretty limited. But I am finally to the point of doing active range of motion so things will improve.

My husband and I went to see the stage play of "War Horse" last night. Wow!!:love: What an awesome production. I thought it was extremely well done and the life-size horse puppets were amazing. I cannot imagine the co-ordination needed to make them move the way they did. If you get a chance I would highly recommend seeing it.

Now since this is an exercise thread. How about a small challenge? Squats are easy. They increase leg strength, balance and stability that help you use your legs effectively while posting or cantering. They also increase your ability to establish an effective body position while on your horse. I am going to start with 10/day this week and increase by 5/day each week until the end of September. I will currently do them without weights but feel free to add weights or numbers if you like. Let's all report in at the end of the month to see how we did. Sue in SD
  • appygirl84
    Options
    I loved the book and the movie. It was beautiful.

I like the idea of squats. I do several types in 30 day shred. I need to practice more lunges, I lose my balance on those!

Okay I can do a squat per day challenge. Even if I just do 10 a day all month that will be a good thing. =)

I like to squat and then when standing up do an arm press.... 10 done for the day!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I workout with a personal trainer twice a week, run three times a week, work part-time where I board my horse, and ride four days a week. Whew!
  • thelitas
    Options
    LOL. I want to use the same answer epiphany did- Dressage!

I HATE excercise. HATE HATE HATE. But if my horse is included, it's just that much better. I will take him out to hand walk to make sure I get that kind of cardio in if I don't feel like riding or don't have time to ride, but I will say learning to control your body to sit the trot is way more difficult exercise than just going out to walk too. I know I'm usually drenched in sweat after an hour.
  • SweetIDRider
    SweetIDRider Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been running 4 days a week training for 5k this weekend with my toddlers in the jogging stroller. on the weekends i also hike, at home home i do body weight exercises.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I walk and bike as well. I keep my horse 2 miles from my home, and live in the mountains, so when the weather's nice, I bike over to feed him, or turn him out, or turn him in, or whatever :) Takes about 35 minutes round trip of huffing and puffing.

But now that our six week long bout with abscesses is behind us, we are on the trail again! Best. Exercise. Ever. We had a great hour long ride this afternoon, lots of easy jogging (I'm reconditioning him after our time off.)

I don't know what I'll do when the weather turns. Come here for motivation!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I gave myself bursitis in my knee while posting during a riding lesson last year. I love riding and the lessons were a gift from DH. It took me a while to figure it out, but I was too heavy for my own knees. And that gave me a burning core of motivation to change. I will always have to deal with the knee and do lots of leg strengthening exercises. Yoga is excellent, and so is riding a bike. Everything about horseback riding and horse care burns tons of calories, but you are away from your horses and it seems you will have to make do with other things for a time. Find things you like and work on both strength and cardio endurance. I would avoid knee pounding things like treadmills in favor of elliptical trainers & bikes. Bottom line, whatever you enjoy & causes you to move more is best. Good luck.