Thanksgiving

Options
It's Oct. 1 and I was thinking about the holiday meal I usually make for Oct. 31 w/family (we have a religious holiday on Halloween) and how I was gonna low carb-ify it.

Then I realized next month is Thanksgiving. Everyone always comes to my house for the holiday because I really love cooking the big meal and doing it up. So I wanna plan ahead even more than usual because. I'm gonna try to go low-carb for the holiday.

I'm thinking:

- The turkey isn't an issue, I don't put sugar on it or anything.
- I always make appetizers, bacon stuffed cherry tomatoes can stay, sausage stuffed mushrooms can stay, but I'll swap out the dough in pigs in a blanket for flourless dough. Raw veggies w/spinach dip can also stay.
- Of course a nice big garden salad isn't going anywhere.
- stuffing is being swapped out for a low-carb bread pudding made with bits of flourless bread leftovers I've been freezing (egg white breads, nut butter breads, etc.).
- Mashed potatoes is tough because it's an absolute favorite of 2 of my children, so I might just put some traditional mash potatoes out but also put a low-carb cauliflower mash out for me & the other low-carbers.
- Instead of regular rolls, I'm doing cloud bread rolls.
- most people around here are not huge fans of sweet potatoes, I loved them & my mother loved them which was the only reason I put them out (and she's gone). Everyone else can take or leave them... so I'm leaving them out.
- our favorite veggie dish is green beans with mushrooms in a cream sauce with candied bacon, slivered almonds (pioneer woman recipe), I think the only thing I need to switch is not candying the bacon.
- I'm swapping out the sugar in my cranberry sauce & maple pecan pie for artificial sweeteners. I'll also make some nice homemade vanilla ice cream & whipped cream for the side with sweeteners.

I've never gotten thru a holiday sticking to a diet plan, I always took a 'cheat day' which often led to a cheat week or cheat month lol. Even trying moderation didn't cut it for me, because the carbs & sweets trigger me. So I'm staying away from sugar, grains & starchy veggies but other than that I'm gonna loosen up and let myself eat what I want that's on the table.

Anyone gotten thru the holiday season yet? Or have you thought about it yet now that the season is upon us? Love to hear other people's tips and plans for how they cope with it, especially low-carbers.