2023 Fall Week 1 Montevideo, Uruguay 6,000 Miles & Food Diary & View BMR Calculator

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,261 Member
edited October 2023 in Social Groups
This posting is for information only. PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS ON YOUR CHALLENGE TEAM PAGE. And post questions and comments on your team’s discussion board. Thanks!

Buckle up, this first week may be a little bumpy. Please weigh in on October 7th. If you are a little late in joining your challenge team, you will still be able to record this important information. If you have not joined a team, please send a message to Ceriusly1.

🌎️Challenge #1 Saturday, October 7 - Friday, October 13🌎️

✈️DESTINATION - Montevideo, Uruguay 6,000 Miles & Food Diary & View BMR Calculator

The challenge begins on Saturday morning. Exercise & Food Diary & View BMR Calculator done before SATURDAY DOES NOT COUNT!!!!

Uruguay is tucked in between Brazil and Argentina, and has 410 miles of coastline. Montevideo the capital is on the bay and revolves around the Plaza de la Independencia, once home to a Spanish citadel. This plaza leads to Ciudad Vieja (the old town), with art deco buildings, colonial-era centers and landmarks including the towering Palacio Salvo and the neoclassical performance hall Solís Theatre.

The culture is strongly European with 90% of Uruguayans of European origin. Simply walking the streets lets you experience the city's diverse cultural activities. The tradition of the gaucho (cowboy/ranch) has been an important element in the art and folklore. Enjoy the beautiful beaches that border the Atlantic Ocean and offer up sun, sea, sand and surf.

8ejbnzsi8xr6.png
s8a626np500x.png
Fun Facts

Is the smallest Spanish speaking country in South America.
Uruguay means “river of painted birds”
It has the longest national anthem in the world.
Vintage cars from the 40's & 50's are cherished and maintained.
Only country in South America situated entirely south of the Tropic of Capricorn.
It is a unitary state: justice, education, health, security, foreign policy and defense are all administered nationwide.

Race - You must exercise to earn air miles to get your team to the destination.
1 minute of exercise = 1 air mile

🚴‍♂️DAILY MAXIMUM 120 exercise minutes/air miles.

📝Living the Good Life - Exercise & Food Diary & Basic Metabolic Calculator

Tough love week! We are here to lose weight! To do that we need to 'Eat Less & Exercise More!’ Excess calories eaten will be stored as fat, and consistently eating more than you burn will cause weight gain over time. When you expend more calories than you take in, it's a calorie deficit which results in weight loss. Any weight-loss plan that includes regular exercise is not only more successful — it's also healthier. By eating a healthy diet and exercising, you're keeping your bones, muscles, and heart strong. But you can also lose weight without exercise, just reduce your calories.

We need to know our daily calorie goal, which is the number of calories to consume to reach our desired daily/weekly weight loss. Eating less can mean eating smaller amounts and eating fewer calories. This week let’s tip the scale in your favor by understanding your calorie deficit, and how to use a daily Food Diary.

Firstly, let's see how many calories we need to maintain our current weight. Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is how many calories you would eat each day to MAINTAIN your current weight. It is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed for 24 hours (idling); the minimum number of energy/calories needed to keep your body alive/functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating. Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise.

Look at how many calories you burn a day (for 15 points!)
Link to the BMR Calculator. https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html (click on US units)

When you joined MFP, you input your information and Your Daily Goal (calories) was determined. In MFP click on your “Food Diary” and scroll to the bottom to see it. As you lose weight and record it in MFP this number is updated. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/

When you add up the number of calories per serving of all the foods and drinks that you consume and factor in what you burn through activity, you can calculate your goal calorie deficit. For example, if you burn 2000 calories a day but only eat 1500, you’ll be in a 500-calorie deficit, and in a week that would be a total calorie deficit of 3,500 calories. Understanding this relationship should help you make better food and activity choices. Will this food or activity get me closer or farther from my daily weight loss goal? For the best success, record your meal BEFORE you eat it so you can adjust quantity or type of food.

Note: 500 calorie deficit per day X 7 days = 3,500 calorie deficit per week = 1 pound weight loss per week.

Here are some videos to learn how to use MFP Food Diary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9RKqlmD1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oro5W85oRRM

Keep track of the calories you eat by measuring and weighing your portions, and recording the food for these calculations. When you look at your daily MFP Food Diary calories today – ask did I lose? Gain? Or maintain my weight? What can I improve on? On special occasions if I exceed my planned calories, I will be careful not to exceed my Daily Calorie needs based on my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) activity level; no loss but no gain. Note - Do not eat under 1,200 calories a day unless on doctor’s orders.

Examine your habits – both in the kitchen and gym – and decide where you can make sustainable changes to have long term success for weight loss. If you are already pushing yourself 2 hours a day at the gym, but don’t pay attention to your diet, it might be time to cut out junk food, make better food choices and reduce your portions to see weight loss changes.

✔️To score points this week

1. Food Diary daily calorie tracking 10 points a day
2. View your BMR Calculator, calorie needs based on your activity level 15 points, one time this week

Note: your Food Diary can be MFP, WW, pencil and paper, or whatever else you choose.

Summary

Record all exercise minutes. It's 6,000 Team Miles Exercise Minutes/Air miles. DAILY INDIVIDUAL MAXIMUM 120 exercise minutes/miles.

Scoring: 1 minute of exercise = 1 air mile

1. Living the Good Life: Food Diary record all your food for the day = 10 points (all or nothing) Maximum 10 points daily
2. View Basal Metabolic Rate Calculator 15 points one time this week

We will record this on one thread. (example)

My Exercise: 30
My Food Diary: 10
My BMR: 15 (only record once during the week)

****Remember if for any reason your health does not allow you to participate in a challenge please do not attempt it. Always follow your doctor's orders.

Replies

This discussion has been closed.