Atorvastatin and sense of taste

Options
One change in my medical treatment is that my doctor has put me on a high dose of atorvastatin. I was on 10 mg for many years, but now I am on 80 mg.

It has dawned on me slowly, but I realize my sense of taste is now dulled. I suppose this could possibly be some Covid thing, but my sense of smell doesn't seem obviously affected. Google says that this can be a side effect of statins. And I suppose it could be another medicine (clopidogrel/Plavix). It especially seems that the sour and bitter sensations are reduced, so for example wine now tastes insipid and faintly sweet.

Anyone else experiencing this and any insights into the impact? I am wondering if I will end up eating less because it no longer is as much fun, or if I will be tempted to eat more sweet/salty snacks trying to get sufficient stimulus.

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,280 Member
    Options
    I don’t have an answer to your question, but it is a fascinating one. I hope someone can provide some insight.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I got nothing. My one prescription drug (Myrbetriq) impacts th8ngs well south of there.