Diet pop (soda)

Options
Faery_Dust
Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
Do you guys following low carb plans drink diet pop? I just wondered how it effects your plan, if at all.

I know it's practically zero calories and no carbs, but do the sweeteners in it effect a low carb plan? Or does the sweetness make you crave sugary things at all (my main worry really).

I've never drank loads of it, but on my previous higher carb diet would sometimes get a can of sugar free 7up inan afternoon if I was wanting something sweet to eat and it would deal with that craving. I quite fancy some but am worried it might set off more sugar cravings?

I'm only on day 3 of keto, I have tried keto before but never really got far enough to banish sugar cravings (longest was 2.5 weeks I think) so am hoping to get past it and eat keto (or at least low carb) forever.

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I do. More than I should, actually.

I drink only diet sodas that are sweetened with Sucralose (Splenda). So I've generally been drinking Diet Rite Zero (okay, not great), Diet Rite Zero Cherry (awesome sauce!), Diet Cheerwine (LEGEND! But hard to find outside of the southeast US)

I avoid Aspratame (Nutrasweet) as that can cause a "stall" to some people in doing Atkins (in ketosis). I don't think I'm one of them, but I try to stay "by the book" as much as possible. So, no Coke / Pepsi products for now...

I've never really understood the "it'll cause sweetness cravings" and I've never had them. Maybe it affects some folks, but the idea of "gateway soda pop" leading to something "harder", like brownies is kind of silly to me. So, no, I don't worry about it.

Congrats on keto, it has burned 41+ lbs for me since June 3rd.

Be well, be safe, have a great day!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'll have some once in a while - usually when eating out I have a diet coke. But when I'm at home I just drink water.

My understanding is that they are a YMMV thing. Another one of those items, that if you're doing everything right and seem to be in a stall, you might want to try cutting to see if that may be an issue.

The best thing for banishing sugar cravings is high fat. I think if you're going to the soda to help with the cravings, then it may be a problem. You're better served having something high fat than drinking the soda. Have some coffee with heavy cream (does heavy cream work in tea?) Pecans, pre-cooked bacon - just find something very high fat, no carbs. Don't worry about the calories right now in these early days - you need to get your body adjusted to this way of eating.

And don't forget to add sodium!!! Drink a cup of chicken broth.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do. We get free pop at work and I drink Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, etc. I usually drink one or 2 cans day, I used to drink more but now they offer bottled water as well so I drink that sometimes instead. Sometimes we'll have some diet pop around the house too or when we go out to eat. I also drink a good bit of those sugar free singles to go or flavor enhancers for water. I'm sure it's probably not the best thing in the world to consume, but it doesn't seem to really have an ill effect on me. I've found that the longer I follow my low carb dietary plan, the easier it gets. Congrats to the great start on your own journey!
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    No
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I drink it from time to time but I know it is not good for me (diet or not). I find it dehydrates me & makes me want more sweet things! So avoid it.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Well I had a can yesterday afternoon and it didn't seem to effect me but think I will just maybe stick to them as a weekend treat or something.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Well I had a can yesterday afternoon and it didn't seem to effect me but think I will just maybe stick to them as a weekend treat or something.

Here's my opinion:

I'm not a low carber but having said that I do drink diet soda occasionally.

At this point in time I'm not convinced that it's harmful under what would be considered "normal human doses" if you don't have PKU (a specific metabolic disorder), although it's apparently not good for tooth enamel.

If you don't have any noticeable negative effects (for example if it makes you hungry instead of full) then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • NJWright731
    NJWright731 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I still drink diet pop. I try to equal the amount of pop I drink with water.
  • yolandaelizabet
    Options
    Any artificial sweetener is bad for your health. Try googling it, there's tons of info on it out there. I never drink soda but if I would, it would be the oldfashioned one with ordinary sugar not that poison called art. sweetener.

BTW you are right, artificial sweeteners are known to make you hungry and start cravings. Not good when you want to be in keto.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Here's my opinion:

At this point in time I'm not convinced that it's harmful under what would be considered "normal human doses" if you don't have PKU (a specific metabolic disorder), although it's apparently not good for tooth enamel.

If you don't have any noticeable negative effects (for example if it makes you hungry instead of full) then I wouldn't worry about it.

why are you in this group if you aren't low carb/keto?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Any artificial sweetener is bad for your health. Try googling it, there's tons of info on it out there. I never drink soda but if I would, it would be the oldfashioned one with ordinary sugar not that poison called art. sweetener.

BTW you are right, artificial sweeteners are known to make you hungry and start cravings. Not good when you want to be in keto.

There are dozens of sweeteners. A blanket statement that "any artificial sweetener is bad for your health" is simply not true.

Consuming sugar is always going to be worse for ketosis than using a sweetener.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Here's my opinion:

why are you in this group if you aren't low carb/keto?

Because I enjoy discussion.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners don't stall me. I use them daily, most often splenda (sucralose). I don't drink soda every day, but up to several times a week with no problem.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda but I will occasionally drink vitamin water zero. I use it when I'm craving something sweet. Works well for me.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking it about a year ago....it did cause me to have sugar cravings and wasn't worth it to me...there are NO positive benefits to drinking it..so why not just stick with water..
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes. Rarely diet soda like Coke Zero but I frequently (daily) drink sparkling flavored water. The brand I get is from Walmart named Clear American. When it's fizzy it really tastes like soda to me