New to the group

Options
JuneGem6471
JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
I would love some over 50 accountability buddies if anyone would like to add me. I’m 52f and have about 30 lbs to lose to get back to where I was last year. Looking forward to getting back on track. I walk for exercise and watch calories and carbs. High protein. I’ve had WLS but still struggle. Positive vibes to all!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,270 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our little corner of MFP!

It's been fairly quiet around here lately, but that can change. Stick around and help kick this group into gear. We've all got goals to meet, and a little mutual support can go a long way.

I'm mid-50s and currently on the upper end of my maintenance range after getting to goal then bouncing around for a while. I have found the best thing is to just stick to it because complacency leads to... well, you know.
  • Rxman1971
    Rxman1971 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Well hello @Rxman1971

I take it you're over fifty. If your user name is any indication, you're a few years into it. Ain't it great?

Feel free to share your goals, victories, struggles or anything. It's a friendly but mostly quiet bunch here, but nobody bites very hard.
  • Rxman1971
    Rxman1971 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Well hello @Rxman1971

I take it you're over fifty. If your user name is any indication, you're a few years into it. Ain't it great?

Feel free to share your goals, victories, struggles or anything. It's a friendly but mostly quiet bunch here, but nobody bites very hard.

Yep 52 love it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Hello to both of you, @JuneGem6471 and @Rxman1971!

I'm sorry, I'm a little behind in keeping up with new posts in the group.

It's nice to see some youngsters joining us in here. (I'm 68 ;) .) I'm in maintenance now, mostly, having lost from class 1 obese with MFP back in 2015-16.

I have to admit, I'm a sub-par MFP friend . . . more of a Community forum gal, I guess. I do accept friend requests, but I'm sadly inattentive in that part of MFP.

I've found the Community very welcoming, and helpful, though. I feel like I've learned from people of all ages here . . . seems like with similar goals, we have more in common than we have differences.

Best wishes for success to you both!
  • Mia_Vojago
    Mia_Vojago Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am new to the group too. About two years ago I was an active participant on another website called Spark people that was great! I don’t understand why they closed the site down. It was fantastic for me, and I managed to lose 40 pounds. I’m also looking for accountability partners, so let me know if you are looking to start a separate, smiling group, or are looking for one on one accountability partners.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Mia_Vojago wrote: »
    Hi there! I am new to the group too. About two years ago I was an active participant on another website called Spark people that was great! I don’t understand why they closed the site down. It was fantastic for me, and I managed to lose 40 pounds. I’m also looking for accountability partners, so let me know if you are looking to start a separate, smiling group, or are looking for one on one accountability partners.

Check out a group called "Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off!." It's a private group, so request to join. Then come over and introduce yourself and be prepared to participate!

There's only two requirements. First, enter your starting weight and goals for each quarter of the year. Easy. Second, enter a weekly weigh-in. Also easy. We have some ongoing other challenges, all of which are completely optional. They can be fun. We also try to do a "special challenge" each week, although we don't always get one up. The group is run by a few volunteers, and we're off doing fun things sometimes. The challenge for the upcoming week is to work on NEAT (not-exercise activity thermogenesis - the things you do that aren't exercise that burn calories).
  • mom2muses
    mom2muses Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 3
    Options
    Hello all. I’m new to the group, and new to MFP. (I flirted with using it years ago, but never used it well.)
    I’m 56, a mom of college aged kids, and a widow for three years. Just trying to put my life together after a spectacular implosion in grief.
    I have a long history of yo-yo’ing with my weight, which used to be only 10-20 pounds. My first, difficult pregnancy saw me gaining seventy pounds, though, and most of it on bed rest in my final trimester. Now I have gained and lost that twenty pounds several times, but ONLY about twenty pounds.
    I weigh 215 at 5’2”, am fighting depression, now have HTN, and am borderline diabetic. I have a long list of motivations, but know that I tend to go into things hot, with my drive to change my wellness fluctuating as life gets complicated. I have a long history of disordered eating, and am an emotional eater. It’s my biggest challenge with weight loss. Trying to set myself up for success, and accountability and support do help.
    Am charting my food, already have been using a wearable tracker, and have a meeting with a personal trainer on Monday to set goals appropriate to my body and its current abilities and limits. Will do measurements today. And now I am venturing into one discussion about accountability, so hopefully that is also a step forward.
    Wishing you all wellness and hope.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Welcome to this little corner of MFP @mom2muses!

There have been a few new folks coming over here, so maybe there will be some new life in our group. It's been kind of quiet lately, but it doesn't have to.

You're wise to work with a trainer. If that trainer doesn't match your style, or if they say things that don't seem like good ideas, find another one. For sure some are better than others. The fact that you're just working on appropriate goals is a good sign.

The key is appropriate goals, a good process to achieve them, and then sticking to your process. When you falter, because we all do, just get back going immediately. Not next week. Not tomorrow. Just get back started NOW. It's all we have - now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @Mia_Vojago and @mom2muses!

@mom2muses, I'm also a widow, but with . . . more practice at it? I was widowed when I was 43, am now 68. Figuring out a new life-course for ourselves after something like that is a challenge. I empathize. My experience is that things can be great, but it takes some time to find and get on that path. We need to give ourselves some grace as we figure it out, y'know? There will be mis-steps, and that's OK.

It sounds like you're making some excellent moves. That's so wonderful!

Best wishes for success to you both, @Mia_Vojago and @mom2muses!
  • mom2muses
    mom2muses Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you @mtaratoot and @AnnPT77 . ♥️
  • GettingCut70
    GettingCut70 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ive been on and off MFP for like a decade. I cam eback last May, but didn't participate in the community or add friends. Just used it to track workouts. Now I am coming in full blast. Feel free to add me.