Week 2 Lillehammer, Norway & Hara Hachi Bu & Meet Your Cheerleaders

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,191 Member
edited January 21 in Social Groups
This posting is for information only. PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS ON YOUR CHALLENGE TEAM PAGE. And post questions and comments on your team’s discussion board. Thanks!

🌎️Challenge #2 Saturday, January 13 - Friday, January 19🌎️

✈️DESTINATION - Lillehammer, Norway 6,000 Miles - Hara Hachi Bu & Meet Your Cheerleaders

The challenge begins on Saturday morning. Exercise & Hara Hachi Bu & Meet Your Cheerleaders done before SATURDAY DOES NOT COUNT!!!!

Lillehammer is a ski resort town in southern Norway. It has hosted the Olympic Winter Games in 1994 and the Winter Youth Olympic Games in 2016. From the logo-emblazoned manhole covers to the Lysgårdsbakken ski jump towering over the town, there are many reminders of these sporting events. The many venues are in continual use by the local community and for national and international athletic training, sports teams and events like the annual World Cup.

Also of interest is The Maihaugen, an open-air museum that displays 200 historical and authentic buildings from the 1200s to the present. You can even see houses from each decade of the 1900's.

And note in summer you can still enjoy Nordic sports or dry land mushing. Have a thrilling experience on the biathlon simulator at the Norwegian Olympic Museum. Over at the Olympic Bobsleigh and Luge Track you can experience these thrilling rides with Bobs - bobsleighs on wheels. In the Ski Jumping Arena ride the chairlift to the top and see the amazing view of the whole park and stare down the ski jump. Are you tempted to come back in winter and do the ski jump?

hb9y8x9sb0vu.png
w5sd8a6dz8fr.png
Race - You must exercise to earn air miles to get your team to the destination.
1 minute of exercise = 1 air mile
DAILY MAXIMUM 120 exercise minutes/air miles.

📝Living the Good Life - Hara Hachi Bu & Meet Your Cheerleaders

Okinawans practice Hara Hachi Bu, a Confucian teaching meaning "belly 80 percent full". It translates to, "Eat until you are eight parts full". An Okinawan elder begins the meal saying hara hachi bu — a reminder to stop eating when their stomachs are 80 percent full. This cultural practice of calorie awareness and mindful eating is part of the reason that Okinawa has a higher percentage of centenarians than anywhere else in the world. The secret to eating in moderation is emulating the habits of the Okinawan people. There is a significant calorie gap between when an American says, ‘I’m full’ and an Okinawan says, ‘I’m no longer hungry.’

How to put Hara Hachi Bu into practice. Learn to eat only until you are 80 percent full.

A) Eat more slowly. Eating faster results in eating more. Slow down to allow your body to respond to cues, which tell us we are no longer hungry.

B) Focus more on your food so you’ll eat more slowly, consume less and savor the food more.

It takes 20 minutes between the time you start to eat till your brain gets the signal that you are full. Practice mindful eating - slow down and increase your awareness of what you are doing and you will eat less. Focus on your meal and make eating a very pleasurable and deliberate event; appreciate how your food looks, the aroma, flavor and texture of each bite. Anticipate and enjoy each morsel.

How to Eat More Slowly

a) Sit at the table
b) Pause before you begin eating to think about how to eat slowly and stop "Eat until you are eight parts full".
c) Eat harder foods like raw veggies ie. carrots
d) Use smaller spoons and forks, or chopsticks
e) Take smaller bites
f) Focus on chewing each mouthful about 20 chews
g) Put your fork or spoon down between bites
h) Take a sip of water before lifting your fork again. This also helps fill you up
i) Eat one at a time eg. Blueberries - one blueberry at a time.
j) Eat like a gourmet, pause and really taste each bite. Notice the smell, texture and taste of each food.
k) Eat your food in courses ie. salad first, then side dishes, then your entree
l) Set a timer. If you are eating too quickly, stop, get up and tidy the kitchen, do the dishes, then return to your food and see if you will eat less.

Hara Hachi Bu. At some point in the process of eating a meal, most people stop briefly and lay down their forks or put down the food they're holding in their hands. After this pause in their eating, people will often glance down at their food and decide to stop eating or push on and clear their plate. At the pause can you say ‘I’m no longer hungry, I am at 80%?' Regardless of what you do next recognize The "Pause".

Slow down so you notice The "Pause". Recognize how much you've eaten, and whether you've had enough. Aim to stop eating when you are satisfied or just right at 80%. Don't eat till you are stuffed.

Watch carefully for the eating pause, and then use it as a guide to STOP EATING!!"

Tip - if you only eat at the kitchen table, you'll be less likely to think "snack time!" every time you settle down on your couch.

✔️To score points this week.

1. Hara Hachi Bu - When you recognize "The "Pause" and say to yourself "I’m no longer hungry, I am at 80%". Regardless of what you do next - stop eating or continue eating you score 5 points for recognizing the pause and stating "I’m no longer hungry, I am at 80%". 5 points per meal. Daily MAXIMUM 15 points
2. Meet the Cheerleaders = 10 points for the day. No chat no points.

We will record this on one thread. (example)

My Exercise: 40
My Hara Hachi Bu: 15
My Meet the Cheerleaders: 10

🌟Build healthy forever habits - Practice "belly 80 percent full".

****Remember if for any reason your health does not allow you to participate in a challenge please do not attempt it. Always follow your doctor's orders.
This discussion has been closed.