Ellieover Fresh Start September

Options
Hello! It's is my first time ever joining the monthly challenges and I am excited for the accountability and support!

SW 155 (some water weight after vacation) I was 152 last Friday
GW 150

I am more concerned with fitness at this point since I am in a healthy BMI range. Over all I am trying to improve my diet by making healthier choices and improve my fitness by exercising and staying active.

Some goals for this month;

I would like to figure out my average burn for the day through my bodymedia armband to find out how many calories I really need to keep myself at a healthy deficit. I find that by he end of the day I have burned far more calories than I had assumed and my deficit is usually closer to 800 than 500.

I am going to exercise 6 days a week with at least 20 mins of vigorous activity and at least 45 minutes of moderate activity 7 days a week. Along those lines I am going to branch out from my usual cardio and start to incorporate strength exercises 3 days a week to try and tone up my arms and back flab.

As far as calories go, I would like to continue working towards meeting my macros of 40/30/30. My protein intake needs to go up a bit since as of now I usually hit around 47/33/20 range. This one is hard for me because I always seem to go over in fat and carbs. In addition I am giving up redbull for the month of September to see if some of my stomach upset will go away with out all that caffeine and chemicals.

I do not have a measuring tape with me to take my measurements but I plan on adding them in by tonight so I can watch my progress.

I hope you all will be there for help and encouragement and I look forward to taking this journey with you all!

Replies

• NiceSpydr
    NiceSpydr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Way to g Ellieover! Those sound like great goals.
    I'm not quite to the level of tracking my protein ratios, but it gives me something to think about. I may even go back and see how they've been (having not set personal goals) to see how I've been doing.

You've got this!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Nice goals! If you can't put your hands on a measuring tape just use a smaller size of pants!
    Works wonders! Good luck!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day! I kept my sodium down and have already lost 2lbs of the water weight I gained and was 153lbs this morning! I managed to fit in 20mins work on my arms, 50 sit-ups, and a 40 min walk through the park. I packed some yummy things for lunch today and the kids and I are outside enjoying the pool and backyard! I have a measuring tape but I seem to get extremely different measurements each time! Up or down half n inch makes such a difference!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    I've decided one of the best ways to show my progress would be to give some stats off my bodymedia arm band.

Yesterday I burned 2448 calories and consumed 1716 for a deficit of 732. I was at a much larger deficit as of 8pm so I ate a banana with peanut butter to try and get some more calories in. I really don't subscribe to the eat to little to lose lots of weight club so I am actively trying to get my deficit closer to 500 give or take a little for inaccuracies. Again, I went over my sodium a little bit which worries me because I wonder if that's the culprit behind the stagnant weight loss. I really need some one to show me the correct way to measure myself because every time I take a measurement the numbers are way off from each other.

I did not hit my exercise quota, aside from the 453 extra calories I burned at work because I wanted to see if working out late at night has been the reason for me not sleeping well through out the night. On Wednesday night my BMF said I only has 4 hrs sleep after a late night work out but last night I only got 5.5 after laying for for a little over 8hrs both nights. Tonight I'm trying some relaxing yoga to see it that helps.

I did take 6791 steps but like I said that was mostly while at work chasing the kids around. (I'm a full time nanny to 4 small children under 4)
  • NiceSpydr
    Options
    It seems like you're doing some great tracking! Good job picking a healthy end of day calorie boost, to keep your body nourished!
    I also have a hard time with my measurements, so don't feel too bad.

Does the Body Media have a sleep tracker? I'm in the market for an HRM, and I'm highly interested in one of the devices that also tracks sleep, since that's a common issue I have as well. (I also usually work out at night.)
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Yes, it tracks my sleep, that's how I know how many hours I actually slept. You wear it 23hrs a day, 1hr off to charge.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Yesterday's progress;

Burned. 2561
    Ate. 1816
    Deficit. 745
    Steps. 7707

I balanced out my macros fairly well but I seem to have a hard time eating enough for my burn. I'm the one dieting in my family and I eat more than every one else! Granted my choices are healthier but at dinner last night my plate was more full than my husbands and all he had eaten before hand was jack in the box. I can't figure out how he can eat so poorly and still not be over weight. It really messed with my mind that I need to eat more to lose wight but I am definitely getting closer to my goal each day. I know a lot of people think eating less calories is the answer but it really isn't, if your active and already eating at a deficit it's important to fuel your body so that it can work properly. Tomorrow I'm swapping my treadmill for my mothers elliptical so today will by my final run on it!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Weight. 152.8
    Burned 2148. (Day off)
    Ate. 1859
    Deficit. 279
    Steps. 6984

Yesterday was a lazier day as I had repairmen over for most of it working on my fridge and bathroom. I decided to take my measurements for the first time since August.

Sept 8. August 18th.

Waist. 35.5. Down. - 1.5in
    Hips. 38. Down. - 2.0in
    Bust. 37.5. Down. - 0.5 in
    Thigh. 23.5. Up. + 0.5
    Calf. 14.5. Down - 0.5
    Bicep. 13. Up. + 0.5

I'm dissapointed my arms are bigger since I doubt it's muscle. Now that I have started some strength training I'm hoping all the numbers will go Down by the end of the month! I can't figure out why my thighs are bigger since I do so much cardio on them!
  • ampherz
    ampherz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's progress;

Burned. 2561
    Ate. 1816
    Deficit. 745
    Steps. 7707

I balanced out my macros fairly well but I seem to have a hard time eating enough for my burn. I'm the one dieting in my family and I eat more than every one else! Granted my choices are healthier but at dinner last night my plate was more full than my husbands and all he had eaten before hand was jack in the box. I can't figure out how he can eat so poorly and still not be over weight. It really messed with my mind that I need to eat more to lose wight but I am definitely getting closer to my goal each day. I know a lot of people think eating less calories is the answer but it really isn't, if your active and already eating at a deficit it's important to fuel your body so that it can work properly. Tomorrow I'm swapping my treadmill for my mothers elliptical so today will by my final run on it!

My boyfriend manages to stay skinny while eating terribly. I figure it'll catch up with him sooner or later, and it'll be really funny when he decides he needs to start an exercise regime. (He likes to say things like running is stupid unless you're being chased.) Unless you eat all your meals with your husband, it's hard to tell what's going on. My boyfriend apparently skips a lot of meals when he's busy at work. So, the fast food isn't so awful (though I'd hate to measure the nutrient intake there.)
  • ampherz
    ampherz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As far as calories go, I would like to continue working towards meeting my macros of 40/30/30. My protein intake needs to go up a bit since as of now I usually hit around 47/33/20 range. This one is hard for me because I always seem to go over in fat and carbs. In addition I am giving up redbull for the month of September to see if some of my stomach upset will go away with out all that caffeine and chemicals.

Way to go. Good goals! What are your favorite high-protein snacks and such? I try to keep my protein up, too, because it helps with hunger. I love hummus and Greek yogurt. I've also experimented a little making lentil granola bars. I need to make another batch of lentil crunchy snacks, too.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Way to go. Good goals! What are your favorite high-protein snacks and such? I try to keep my protein up, too, because it helps with hunger. I love hummus and Greek yogurt. I've also experimented a little making lentil granola bars. I need to make another batch of lentil crunchy snacks, too.

I'm still working on improving my protein intake last week I hit 49/32/19 so I still need adjustments. But, I like Greek yogurt, protein powder, lean meats and nuts. I bought some canned beans at the store yesterday to mix with rice as a side dish, I'm hoping that will add some protein and cut back on the fat. I've decided a more realistic goal for me would be 50/25/25 as I feel a lot better with a little more carbs in my life. I haven't been getting as many headaches or been as tired since I uped my carb intake.
  • NiceSpydr
    Options
    Great job! Perhaps you could look at some Paleo diet tips for extra protein.
    Quinoa is my favorite way to sneak in a little extra when I have the chance to get it. :happy:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Other proteins like chicken and shrimp are good for protein snacks, too.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Great job playing around with your macros to see what works best for you!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Sorry for not updating more, I have continued on my track pretty well. No redbull so far this month, which was very difficult while my BF enjoyed 3 in front of me :-/. I am down to 149.5 as of Monday and m pretty much hitting my macros every day! And yesterday I ran my first 10min mile, two months ago it took me 18mins so I'm happy with my progress! I'm signed up for photo bucket so I'm hoping this image will work.

image_zps9c8387f0.jpg
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Well, that's huge, need to learn how to do this! Haha
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options