Fell off the wagon big time - but climbing back on!

Options
HoneyBadger302
HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
Hey all!!
I have no idea when I was last really active here, I know it's been a few months. A lot was happening for me over the summer, and while much of it was good, I let it really derail my fitness and eating habits. Some of it was valid excuses, but much of it was just an excuse or outright avoiding what I knew I should be doing.
So last May I had picked up my puppy - that's when things really started to fall apart. I was living with my bf and his roommate still, and I was not quite ready for the amount of work a puppy would be in that environment!
My business client was rolling along, day job was rolling along, and finances were improving, but my race season got sidelined due to an essential piece of gear being on backorder until most of the season was already done - so I just did a few track days and went to a school I've wanted to do for years.
Late summer/early fall, I was in a position to, and found, a house to buy! Thanks to VA loan qualifications, I'm now finally living in my own home! Moving and all of that was it's own thing, as was getting settled into my own place, but it's been great overall.
Puppy is now nearly 80 pounds and 10 months old, so while still a raging teenager with teenage 'tude thrown around, it's more like having a "dog" than a "baby." We're settled into the house and have a plan to keep moving the business along and some next steps in that regard. Recent promotion at the day job as well giving my resume a big boost too.
SO, doing my annual goals review/year over year comparison, and setting this year's goals, bringing my fitness and weight to the forefront is my top priority for the year. Of course I have other goals to keep my business going and grow that, and racing goals, but those are more "keep the momentum going" while fixing my relationship with food and the scale and activity once and for all is the top "new" priority.
Kicking off with the last phase of my Live Hard year (day 7 of 30 today), which is a good push to start things off.
Between phases, between puppy, moving, settling in, and work/business stuff, I fell off the bandwagon BIG time. Over indulging and eating crap day in and out.
I came into 2024 nearing in on my heaviest weight ever - didn't quite get there, but dangerously close with the way I was going (last time I weighed that much was 10 years ago). I was/am disgusted with myself - I look and feel gross. Huffing and puffing just going for a walk if there's any elevation change. Cravings for junk and not properly fueling myself. Flabby and barely able to squeeze into my pants (which should be loose and require a belt to stay up - now they need a belt so they don't get squeezed down my booty by my fat rolls).
So - HERE I AM. Fixing what needs fixing, and figuring out how to STAY where I will be, not just get close and then fall off the wagon again. The years have taught me a few things, so trying to put all that I've learned to work for me and make sure I rock my goal for this year!
Puppy pic for tax LOL
sllmiddwd42v.jpg

And one from a trackday last year
f0hc6ypd4c7s.jpg

Replies

• plainpixxel
    plainpixxel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @HoneyBadger302 Welcome back.
    I'm sure you will reach your goal.
    I'm also getting back on the band wagon as well.
    Can't wait to see what you get into.
    Riding Motorcycles seems so cool.

Congrats on the house and the doggo
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    @HoneyBadger302 Welcome back.
    I'm sure you will reach your goal.
    I'm also getting back on the band wagon as well.
    Can't wait to see what you get into.
    Riding Motorcycles seems so cool.

Congrats on the house and the doggo

Thanks - yes, we got this, one day at a time!
    Puppy will keep me on my toes - my pet sitter even commented today that of all of her dogs, he is the highest energy by a lot LOL. I think we found a Schutzhund club to start training with, which will help us focus that busy little brain a bit more than the casual work I've been doing with him. He makes it easy to get my steps in each day though, so that's always a win!
  • plainpixxel
    plainpixxel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I never heard of a Schutzhund club before. I had to google it lol
    I hope that works out for your doggo. I'm still waiting to get a house before I get a pet.
    I couldn't stand to keep them in the house all the time.

I'm also not sure what bred to get. I run a lot so I need a little road runner puppy.

Also @HoneyBadger302 I'm so curious about motorsports.
    I'm not really knowledgeable on them. What type of stress does it put on your body?
    What kind of conditioning do you need to be good at it? Cardio? Strength training?

Also I've always wanted to ride, just in general.
    Outside of lessons, whats the best way to learn?
    I live in a beach town in Florida so I don't worry too much about traffic, but I'm always worried about getting stuck in the rain.
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    I never heard of a Schutzhund club before. I had to google it lol
    I hope that works out for your doggo. I'm still waiting to get a house before I get a pet.
    I couldn't stand to keep them in the house all the time.

I'm also not sure what bred to get. I run a lot so I need a little road runner puppy.

Also @HoneyBadger302 I'm so curious about motorsports.
    I'm not really knowledgeable on them. What type of stress does it put on your body?
    What kind of conditioning do you need to be good at it? Cardio? Strength training?

Also I've always wanted to ride, just in general.
    Outside of lessons, whats the best way to learn?
    I live in a beach town in Florida so I don't worry too much about traffic, but I'm always worried about getting stuck in the rain.

Re: Doggo - if you're looking for a running partner, I'd recommend looking at adopting one around 2-3 years old. They are VERY limited on how much running like that they can do the first couple years. Lots of puppers out there who love to run! Definitely good to have a yard though - my sister lives in an apartment with her dog, and I was in a yardless townhome for a few months with my older dog as well, but it really was a pain.

Re: motorcycles. I'd say start out with a MSF (or similar) course. Then, plan on going and practicing in a parking lot for a while before you're trying to deal with traffic. Once you've pretty comfortable with basic operations and have approximately 1000 miles under your belt, you could consider a more advanced street school or a novice track day which is a GREAT way to learn and refine your skills without worrying about traffic or other hazards along that line.

As for physical requirements - racing has a ton. All the top racers you'll see are extremely fit - some of the most (all around) fit athletes in the world. It takes it all - explosive strength, refined control, cardio, endurance, focus - a lot of it is mental, so that is huge as well. As a woman, I find the upper body strength can be an issue, so tends to be a focus on my training, but still trying to find the best way to get the results I need in a way that I will stick with doing it, too. I was trying weight lifting, which I love doing, but that was causing other issues (arm pump and tendonitis) while trying to ride. I'm not a fan of most calisthenic type workouts, so going to try some higher rep with much lower weights to see if that's a happy medium.