New to Plant Based and Heart Disease

Options
About 3 weeks ago I had a heart catheterization and 2 stents placed from a 95% blockage that had branched off. This was the right side. 11 years ago a had 100% blockage on the left side. What is called the widow maker. That was open heart surgery. Im 56 and have fibromylgia. My cholesterol is high. The cardiologist suggested I look into a plant based diet. What are your go to snacks during the day when in between meals?

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Hi @flossie28570 welcome to the group! Wow, that's scary and I am so glad that you are doing better and looking at a plant based diet.

I would highly recommend you read Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. I do not even have heart issues and it's one of my favorites of the many books put out by the WFPB docs. Dr. Essy has done amazing work with heart patients and it's an easy read not too technical.

As for snacks, I try to stick with fruit or raw veggies. If you want something crunchy try some rice crackers (check to be sure no oil and low salt) or wasa bread. You can dip in hummus or salsa.

We have a monthly thread where we all check in with each other and you are welcome to join in there if you'd like. Things sometimes get a little quiet here everyone seems to be one thing after another in our lives lately.