Homemade Pork Rinds

Options
rileysowner
rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
I am trying my hand at making homemade pork rinds. I picked up some pig skin at an Asian Market labeled rather dubiously as "Meat". It was actually pig skin, so step one was achieved. It had a lot more fat and meat on it than I expected, so step two was removing as much as I could. My technique improved greatly as I worked through the pieces. The fat and meat got chopped up and put in a slow cooker to render off the lard. The pig skins are currently boiling in salted water. They will boil for 2 hours or so. When they are done I will drain them off, cool them in cold water, and remove the remaining fat. Then I need to chop them into pieces and dehydrate them for 14 hours until they are hard. Then I can store them in a freezer bag and pull them out when I want fresh pork rinds. A quick fry, likely in the lard I am rendering off, and I should have pork rinds. Better yet, I will know exactly what is in them,.

Replies

• prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of work. Can’t you just buy a bag?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of work. Can’t you just buy a bag?

Sure, I can and I do. However, there are several things at play here. First, the challenge of doing it. Second, knowing exactly what is in the ones I make. Third, the freshness factor. I am not sure if the cost would be less, but lately I am finding the ones in stores here in Canada are getting rather expensive, and I eat a lot of pork rinds either as a snack or ground up as a breading.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I have now made up a couple of batches of homemade pork rinds. They are worth the work in my opinion. They taste excellent fresh out of the tallow. I know what I have fried then in, and can use the tallow or lard that I have for it.