Ketosis

bennyg1973
bennyg1973 Posts: 42 Member
I was wondering... I do the 16:8 fast and still don't hit ketosis. I'm also under my calorie limit. So I was wondering what the best way to get into ketosis is? I have the keto sticks to measure.
Tagged:

Replies

• bennyg1973
    Should I just stay under 50 g carbs? Or even more strict? Or should I fast longer like 18-24 hrs?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    How are you measuring whether you are in Ketosis or not? How long have you been eating under 50 grams of carbs? How much fat and protein in a day?
  • bennyg1973
    Keto strips to measure. I’ve just been doing the 16:8 IF, but I’m starting to think that that’s not long enough. I know my carbs have been relatively high though I’m under my calorie goal. Protein? No clue off the top of my head. Fat is higher than I want it to be.
  • Dmunyan2693
    Dmunyan2693 Posts: 31 Member
    50 grams of carbs is too high. I stay at 25. I get into ketosis within three days when I first start. Good luck
  • djbaier21
    djbaier21 Posts: 2 Member
    These guys are correct, too high on carbs. Thanks for your input, guys.
  • Awegg05
    Awegg05 Posts: 150 Member
    edited March 26
    bennyg1973 wrote: »
    Keto strips to measure. I’ve just been doing the 16:8 IF, but I’m starting to think that that’s not long enough. I know my carbs have been relatively high though I’m under my calorie goal. Protein? No clue off the top of my head. Fat is higher than I want it to be.

I heard keto strips aren't useful if you're not diabetic and worrying about DKA.

"Urine testing strips (commonly referred to by the brand name Ketostix) are intended for type 1 diabetics to monitor for a condition known as diabetic ketoacidosis or DKA. DKA is a Life-threatening condition for diabetics which occurs when both blood glucose and blood ketones are high. However, if you are not an Insulin-dependent diabetic, your body cannot go Into DKA.
    Ketostix measure excess levels of one type of ketone body, acetoacetate, in the urine. While In nutritional ketosis the body produces three Types of ketone bodies: acetone, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB).As the body
    becomes fat adapted two things happen: it becomes better at using ketones and it starts converting acetoacetate into BHB. This means that there will be less excess ketones and less of the only type of ketone measured by Ketostix"