Shape Shifters Team Chat - FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,668 Member
    edited February 11
    Options
    @Itadakimasu7 Happy birthday! Sounds like you had a lovely day.
    ahadzi2t6dnf.jpg

• Pupowl
    Options
    Good morning Shape Shifters. It is Sunday morning here and I just slept for nearly 10 hours! I needed it though. This week was pretty busy so I was exhausted. Today will be a slow day. I am going to take it easy and skip my naturewalk; still getting my steps in of course. My tracker looked pretty good this week. Happy Sunday everyone <3
    kihiw6rx1g2a.png
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    gm yall. @PatriceFitnessPal, I has no clue there's a declutter group here in mfp land? I'll have to check it out as I'm decluttering as well. And ty to @pupowl for the inspiration as well.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 11
    Options
    Cyncia85 wrote: »
    Greetings Shape Shifters!

What mini goal is motivating you right now?

For me, my goal is to run a minimum of 35 miles during the month of February!
    40 or more miles would be great!
    As someone addicted to the pursuit of my Garmin watch challenges, I have quite a few mini goals. 😆

Garmin has a challenge to run 50 miles each month. I first earned that last November, then in December and January, so February will be my fourth time, if I succeed. But I'm finding it challenging. I was hoping by now I'd find running (really a slow jog) easier, and I guess it is, but it still seems a bit of a chore. I have improved my pace, but it's still rarely better than 17 min/mile.

I have over a dozen challenges for February, but there's a lot of overlap. For instance, for walking/running/swimming, there's a challenge for going a certain distance but also a challenge for going for a certain amount of time. And nearly everything contributes to the step goal challenges.

Here's a list of my current monthly challenges:
    • four hours of yoga
    • four hours of strength training
    • four hours of swimming
    • fifteen hours of walking
    • ten hours of running (easily achieved if I run 50 miles, given my pace)
    • complete 50 miles of running (at my slow pace, this will take more like 15 hours)
    • complete at least one mile of walking for 30 consecutive days
    • complete at least one mile of running for 30 consecutive days
    • complete a minimum of 10k steps/day for 30 consecutive days
    • complete 300,000 steps (10k/day usually guarantees this one)
    • 30 for 30: complete at lease one 30 minute activity daily for 30 consecutive days (piece of cake, comparatively)

The yoga, strength, swimming and 30 For 30 are the easy ones. The consecutive day challenges are more difficult because it's a daily minimum that's required, not a daily average. It's the daily walk and run especially that's more of a challenge for me. I need to walk at least a mile a day and average roughly 1 ½ miles/day, plus run at least a mile a day and average ~1.7 miles/day. For this old geezer, that's a challenge. If I weren't running too, the walking would be no problem. Before I started running, I often walked for an hour a day. I hope running gets easier and more enjoyable.

• minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png

kpukitqbemo1.png
    yw25hlbfubkt.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    2e5mqxp4rtr0.png

By Pounds
    h5hub7guj5dm.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    4rumtw6dkzuv.png

By Pounds
    pz981lefgnxl.png
    6xqdgpjoepa1.png

Team Winners
    2i6an052e8s7.png
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,153 Member
    Options
    qstyts4xhr6a.jpg
    Congrats to all of the team winners and to those with honorable mentions from last week! WTG y'all!!

zn0w9a7zlpwz.png
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Hi Cyncia85 Nice catching up with you earlier!!! I just set my goal for intentional walking for the month. Last month, I did 65 miles, but that was really hard to complete with my schedule and all the stress lately at the office, looking for a new position, etc...plus I had a couple of days where I didn't feel well...hard to walk when you're sick...SO...for February I'm still doing 10k steps a day, but for intentional walking, I'm hoping to complete 50 miles. Good luck on your running goal! Do you try to do a certain number of miles per week on a set schedule, or just try to fit it in a certain number of days a week?

Good question!
    Jessica

@jessicakrall8 Hi!
    I think the walking will help ease the stress. It is hard to walk when you don't feel well, best to truly rest. How many miles have you hit so far?
    I've been having a rough couple weeks and I know I will feel better once I get a run in.
    My running goal for this week is 12 miles. Run on Tues, Wed, Fri, and Sat.
    I have classes on Tues and Thurs after work; so it will be hard to get a workout in on those days. If I can, then those will be bonuses. :smile:
  • Cyncia85
    Options

That’s a great goal! I used to be a runner (pre-babies) and ran 10K almost daily, but I honestly haven’t run in over 5 years.

My mini goal would be to get back into running (or at least jogging) this spring.

@tatilove1988 Hi!

6 miles a day! Wow!

Have you heard of SMART goals?
    Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound.

Spring starts March 19th. Is there something specific and achievable you can do in the next month to get back into jogging/running?
  • Cyncia85
    edited February 11
    Options
    Zaxa2021 wrote: »
    Steps

2/7: 4,147
    2/8: 5,896
    2/9: 9,356
    2/10: 5,718

Not too proud of these numbers. I've been struggling lately. It's been a while since I went to the gym. Walks have been sporadic. I've just been feeling extra rundown lately.

@zaxa2021 - Hi!
    I can relate. I've been struggling recently. I've been reminding myself that self-discipline is the highest form of self-love. Discipline means doing something hard right now for my goals and values. It has a higher reward that doing something easier in the moment. I ask myself, what can I do in this moment to move the needle toward my goals?
    I also have to be kind to myself when I falter. <3 Wishing you the energy you need to get to the gym this week!
  • Cyncia85
    edited February 11
    Options

As someone addicted to the pursuit of my Garmin watch challenges, I have quite a few mini goals. 😆

Garmin has a challenge to run 50 miles each month. I first earned that last November, then in December and January, so February will be my fourth time, if I succeed. But I'm finding it challenging. I was hoping by now I'd find running (really a slow jog) easier, and I guess it is, but it still seems a bit of a chore. I have improved my pace, but it's still rarely better than 17 min/mile.

I have over a dozen challenges for February, but there's a lot of overlap. For instance, for walking/running/swimming, there's a challenge for going a certain distance but also a challenge for going for a certain amount of time. And nearly everything contributes to the step goal challenges.

Here's a list of my current monthly challenges:
    • four hours of yoga
    • four hours of strength training
    • four hours of swimming
    • fifteen hours of walking
    • ten hours of running (easily achieved if I run 50 miles, given my pace)
    • complete 50 miles of running (at my slow pace, this will take more like 15 hours)
    • complete at least one mile of walking for 30 consecutive days
    • complete at least one mile of running for 30 consecutive days
    • complete a minimum of 10k steps/day for 30 consecutive days
    • complete 300,000 steps (10k/day usually guarantees this one)
    • 30 for 30: complete at lease one 30 minute activity daily for 30 consecutive days (piece of cake, comparatively)

The yoga, strength, swimming and 30 For 30 are the easy ones. The consecutive day challenges are more difficult because it's a daily minimum that's required, not a daily average. It's the daily walk and run especially that's more of a challenge for me. I need to walk at least a mile a day and average roughly 1 ½ miles/day, plus run at least a mile a day and average ~1.7 miles/day. For this old geezer, that's a challenge. If I weren't running too, the walking would be no problem. Before I started running, I often walked for an hour a day. I hope running gets easier and more enjoyable.

@frankwbrown Hi!
    Those are amazing goals and Garmin does a great job at helping us track our progress.

From the MFP group posts a few months ago, I decided to upgrade my smartwatch to a Garmin. I had an ancient FitBit. I love the Garmin challenges. I plan on engaging with them more in the coming months after I finish my Spring I semester. I look forward to joining you in some of these challenges.
  • Cyncia85
    Options
    Cyncia85 Sun Feb 11 Weigh-In

PW = 203.4
    CW = 203.4
  • FWSWCindy
    FWSWCindy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    FWSWCindy
    Friday steps 10,295
    Saturday steps 10,140
    Daily Average = 10,140 - Goal met!
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we also have some de-cluttering mini goals happening with the Shape Shifters!

@pupowl - I'm in the USA. There are a few charities that take donations and will pick-up. Is that an option in your area for the stuff in your garage?
    Another idea - in my area on Facebook, we have a community neighborhood group that is a free swap.
    Or maybe you can have a garage sale?

I have a few piles of things I need to take to Goodwill.
    My brother left some furniture in my garage. My cousin recently bought a house. I offered her the furniture my brother left; it's a china cabinet and buffet. She will pick it up soon. I'm looking forward to all of these things gone.
    I noticed several of us are doing the declutter bug. I myself have been doing it for awhile now. I'm a 100 disabled veteran but I go a couple days a week normally to work in a thrift store. I bring in stuff there all the time prior to this knee surgery. I'll be glad to get back there in a month.
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 318 Member
    edited February 12
    Options

That’s a great goal! I used to be a runner (pre-babies) and ran 10K almost daily, but I honestly haven’t run in over 5 years.

My mini goal would be to get back into running (or at least jogging) this spring.

@tatilove1988 Hi!

6 miles a day! Wow!

Have you heard of SMART goals?
    Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound.

Spring starts March 19th. Is there something specific and achievable you can do in the next month to get back into jogging/running?

I’m a get up and go type of person, which I guess is great when I have motivation and willpower to do it. Not so great when I’m not motivated and feel completely drained after a day with my 3 preschoolers lol

I’ve never heard of SMART, but I’ll google it for sure. Right now I’m trying to do the atomic habits (the book) method in my personal life. Could work for running as well.

I had a major setback the past few weeks (illness), but I’m so ready to get back.

I think the specific thing I can do to help me reach my running goals would be to carve out a specific time each day when I know I’ll have the energy to run/jog. Start slowwww (maybe nice long walks for the next month) to build up my cardio and get my legs ready to run.

What do you think?

• Pupowl
    Options
    @Cyncia85 The garage has stuff that just needs to be thrown out, it is not stuff that is good enough to sell or give away. You can arrange for a trash pick up, but that is really expensive. I use a Dutch website to sell or give away things. I don't have Facebook and my tiny town doesn't have a group like that either. My dad said he could loan a van from someone so we can take all the trash to the waste station. Still have to pay of course, but should be cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.