New here. Anyone else on a low carb, high protein low fat lifestyle?

Options
catsch1958
catsch1958 Posts: 9 Member
I did keto for 4 years. Then added intermittent fasting. Got to my goal. Over the past 6 months have put on 30# from stress and eating wrong. Now I'm on high protein. Low carb low fat - not keto. I find it much more in line with my lifestyle than keto. High fat doesn't agree with my IBS.

Wondering if other here are doing this type of lifestyle?
65 year old female
5'7"
165#
Goal 135#
Moderately active

Answers

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’ve been low carb off and on for years and more recently have been aiming for at least 100 grams of protein a day to feel full. Because of being inconsistent (and perimenopause rearing its ugly head) I have maintained weight but definitely feel good when protein is high and carbs are low.
  • Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am on Low Carb Low Fat and higher protein. I was on Keto for over 5 years. Lost 50 lbs the first year then got off and regained 30. The high fat had my intestines really messed up so got off it and started on the Optavia weight loss plan which is low carb low fat and high protein on May 1, 2023. I am at 48 pounds lost so far. I am at my lowest weight now since my early 30s probably. My stomach issues are back to normal again and I feel great.
  • sharonphares65
    sharonphares65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started low carb, high protein, moderate fat. I did keto for years but the fat level was ugly for my digestive system.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm not low fat per se. I don't aim for high fat. I'm low carb, high protein and watch my fat intake but not excessively if that makes sense.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    So I'm starting over. I did Keto for a couple years, and did really well with it. Then got my heart broken and stupid me went comfort food which is very carby and gained most of the weight back. I want to eat low carb, but not Keto this time around. Can anyone say what their meals consist of?
  • deejoan
    deejoan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So I'm starting over. I did Keto for a couple years, and did really well with it. Then got my heart broken and stupid me went comfort food which is very carby and gained most of the weight back. I want to eat low carb, but not Keto this time around. Can anyone say what their meals consist of?

It is really hard for me to stick to lower carb. I try to eat only the fruit and vegie carbs but that is tough. I am starting again today to cut the bready type carbs (which include potatoes, noodles, rice, cereal, etc.) Today I had chicken salad for lunch along with pineapple and some low fat yogurt. For dinner I had a steak salad and some broccoli cheese soup. We had a lot of salad left over from Easter so we are trying to use that up. I am going to have some strawberries and cool whip for a snack tonight.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm easy.

I eat baked chicken breast with veggies a lot. I might put some marinara and mozzerella on it one night. I might do it Chinese style with G. Hughes Teriyaki one night. I love G Hughes sweet chili sauce, so I tend to use that a lot on chicken breast then dip in low fat sour cream (Daisy is the best!) or blue cheese dressing. I'll put it on salad or a low carb tortilla. I like to keep things simple.

I'll cook a burger and eat it with veggies. I like to make pizza on a low carb tortilla with sauce, cheese, turkey pepperoni, and beef...maybe a little onion and pepper... and cook it in the air fryer for a crispy thin crust delicious dinner.

We LOVE chicken thighs in the air fryer. The skin gets crispy and it every bit as good as breaded deep fried chicken.

For veggies, we eat a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, and salads.

Every month or so, I make a low carb lasagna with Egglife wraps as the noodles...YUM!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    deejoan wrote: »

It is really hard for me to stick to lower carb. I try to eat only the fruit and vegie carbs but that is tough. I am starting again today to cut the bready type carbs (which include potatoes, noodles, rice, cereal, etc.) Today I had chicken salad for lunch along with pineapple and some low fat yogurt. For dinner I had a steak salad and some broccoli cheese soup. We had a lot of salad left over from Easter so we are trying to use that up. I am going to have some strawberries and cool whip for a snack tonight.

Frankly, my experience is that after getting through the first two weeks of only 20 carbs a day and basically avoiding sweet things including fruit, my cravings for sweet disappeared. Making sure you are getting lots of protein and fat helps a lot. The protein fills you up, and the fat keeps you full. The problem most people who need to lose weight have (myself included) is they interpret things that are not actual hunger signals as hunger. My question to myself when I think I am hungry and shouldn't be is, "Am I hungry of just bored, stressed, or something else?"