New to this - concerned about % of diet from fat

Options
2»

Replies

• kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what "ghee" is - off to google! Can you put coconut cream in coffee? That actually sounds good. My favorite k-cup is coconut mocha ;-)
  • Cryck84
    Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk or cream seems to be the go-to for people to put in coffee or tea. I switched to coconut milk in my tea in May when I did a Whole30 and LOVED it, even though I am not a coconut fan. I do sometimes have dairy now, but I prefer coconut milk in my tea over cow's milk.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk or cream seems to be the go-to for people to put in coffee or tea. I switched to coconut milk in my tea in May when I did a Whole30 and LOVED it, even though I am not a coconut fan. I do sometimes have dairy now, but I prefer coconut milk in my tea over cow's milk.

Just make sure (talking to kkeri) that it's something like homemade coconut milk (3 or 4 cups water to 1 c unsweetened shredded coconut, blended fine and strained if you wish) or canned, and not that carageenan laden junk sold in a carton in the refrigerator non-dairy section.
  • kkerri
    Options
    Yeah - I bought the grocery stuff last week and see that it's got a ton of stuff in it. What about the canned stuff? If I was going to make it, would I just put coconut and water in the vita-mix?
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I get mine from Amazon for $2.39 a can. It' has no stabilizers or fillers and it's in a BPA free can. I have it on auto delivery every two months.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LKVIEG/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

Yes, you can make your own or buy the canned coconut milk at your grocery store, but please don't buy the stuff in the carton!!!!!! It's filled with more water and other garbage you don't need!!!!!!!
  • kkerri
    Options
    I got the canned milk - will a can stay good for a week?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I got the canned milk - will a can stay good for a week?

Easily... Though should be refrigerated and used within that week once opened.

Btw, coconut milk can make an amazing ice cream base.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I bought the grocery stuff last week and see that it's got a ton of stuff in it. What about the canned stuff? If I was going to make it, would I just put coconut and water in the vita-mix?

Yes, a vita mix is perfect. 3 to 4 cups water with a cup of unsweetened shredded coconut (I use Bob's Red Mill). Blend at high speed, strain, refrigerate.

Because it only lasts four days or so, sometimes I'll make less, using smaller proportions, like 1/2 c coconut to 2 c water. I usually put the strained out pulp in a smoothie.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what "ghee" is - off to google! Can you put coconut cream in coffee? That actually sounds good. My favorite k-cup is coconut mocha ;-)

Ghee is clarified butter - ie all of the milk is removed. You can also make it yourself.

Regular butter still has a small amount of milk (and therefore lactose and casein) in it. Ghee/clarified butter has that removed.