Started Stronglifts 5x5 today

Options
joshdann
joshdann Posts: 618 Member
The wife and I started this new strength training program today. Stronglifts is really just another 5x5 workout, but there is a free iOS app for it, and a free excel spreadsheet that helps you track your workouts, including the weight calculations for each week. Only one day in, but I think this is our new routine! Even though we've been using machines for the last 6 weeks or so, there really is no substitute for freeweights. I'm feeling muscles that I haven't in years. Highly recommended!

As a big dude, my workout weights are significantly higher than my wife's, but that was no problem - she warms up with just the bar, then starts her work sets. I use her work weights for warmup while she rests between work sets, then we reload the bar for my work sets. Lovin it!

Replies

• joshdann
    Options
    FWIW, my legs are hating me today. Feels good to know the work is paying off... feels bad living in a 2-story house :)
  • bads1
    bads1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good tip. Keep up the good work. Nice to know I'm not the only one who likes that "sore" feeling.
  • joshdann
    Options
    let me add this: If anyone else here wants to start 5x5, and is tempted to start at a high weight... be warned. This plan puts you under the squat rack *3 days per week*.

Way back when, before a knee injury and when I was in the prime of my powerlifting days, I had a 1rm squat max of 585 lbs. I normally worked out with 225 for a warmup and progressed to 505 for my working sets. I'm 6'6" (tall, like most of us here) and longer quads meant more squat weight. I was tops in my weight class and division, but that was what... almost 18 years ago? I hadn't done squats since my MCL tear. But, I figured, 185 as a working weight would be fine. Way below what I used to do, below even my warmup weight. My knee has been feeling great lately, and warming up with 135 seemed like it was far too light. I did the 5 sets of 5 at 185 without failure. No worries... but I've been sore for the past two days. Today I warmed up with 85 lbs and did my 5 working sets at 135 and I really felt it. My legs aren't what they used to be :)

My point is that I made the mistake of wanting to jump into a somewhat "respectable" working weight too soon. I should have started with a lower weight, probably 135 for my working sets. Especially for squats, since you do them every time you go. Even though it felt too light, my muscles need to be reconditioned before I start doing anything remotely heavy again. It's a bit deflating to know how much strength I've lost since being a teen, but I think I've learned my lesson. I'm glad I didn't re-injure myself... I'll be using 135 on Monday, too. I'll move up from there. Thankfully I didn't do the same for the other exercises, so it's only my squatting muscles that are paying the price. Everything else feels "worked" but not "worthless". I let my ego push me too far, but it gained me nothing besides sore and barely-functional legs for a couple days.

Don't let me scare you off from this workout plan, I still think it's great. I'm charting my progress, and I honestly believe this program is going to help me retain and even build muscle while losing fat. So far, so good!