I'm baaaack!

Options
JudyValentine3
JudyValentine3 Posts: 63 Member
I've been away for awhile now. I wish I could say I've been busy, but I would be lying. I haven't been taking very good care of myself lately. My eating is out of control. My rheumatoid arthiritis is really bothering me a lot lately. If I go out for a slow, short walk(15-30 mins.) I am in pain for three days. Very discouraging. So, since I didn't have anything positive to add to the threads, I thought I should just sit out. But, it's finally warming up here, my bike is ready to go, so I'll head out for my first ride of the season today. Probably not too far, maybe 5-10 kilometers. It's so much easier on my hips and knees to bike than it is to walk.
So, that's where I've been for so long, but I'm glad to be back and look forward to the chats again. Have a great day everyone.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Hey - good to see you again!

Get back with the diet/bicycling and you can tell us about the positive impact...
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    dfq35i94t7nd.jpeg
  • JudyValentine3
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm glad to be back and have someone to talk to about my challenges. We all have them, and sometimes they seem insurmountable.
    I do not like the summer. I can't take the heat. No excuse. I will start going back to the pool in my apartment building when it's too hot for outdoor activity. In the meantime, I have to get my eating under control again.
    Lots of veggie, fruits. chicken and fish. I don't eat a lot of red meat. Skip the treats aisle in the store. Talk to you all later.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    We are good listeners.

Managing the eating is a critical bit and it is hard for me (and a lot of other people too).
  • JudyValentine3
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    We are good listeners.

Managing the eating is a critical bit and it is hard for me (and a lot of other people too).

Didn't you say you eat less than 10g of carbs a meal at one time? I can't imagining it, but I want to ask, is this mainly a veggie/fruit based diet? I just watched ANderson Cooper on Sunday, and with excerise and meditation that will help stave off Alsheimer's as well(my 2nd biggest fear).
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    We are good listeners.

Didn't you say you eat less than 10g of carbs a meal at one time? I can't imagining it, but I want to ask, is this mainly a veggie/fruit based diet? I just watched ANderson Cooper on Sunday, and with excerise and meditation that will help stave off Alsheimer's as well(my 2nd biggest fear).

I try to stay under 10 net carbs total for the day. This is primarily a meat-based diet. My issue is keeping the calories in check...
  • JudyValentine3
    Options

I try to stay under 10 net carbs total for the day. This is primarily a meat-based diet. My issue is keeping the calories in check...

Okay. Thanks for your response. I couldn't do that. My friend is following a diet from Food addicts anonymous. She is doing really well, lost over 60 lbs and her A1C is down to non-diabetic. But it is so restrictive, I know I couldn't do it. I need to find a balance with my non-red meat, veggies, fruits and whole grains.
    I think I have to go back to what I know works. I have sheets from a dietician that plans your meals for the week. It helped me save money, and eat better. As WW says, fail to plan, plan to fail. My biggest problem is junk food. If I stay out of the junk aisle, for one week, I can then move on to the next week. One day at a time.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    It is not for everyone, but it suits me. I lost weight starting in 2016 and have kept it off by sticking with the diet and increasing the calories a bit.

I am not good at moderating the carbs in general, and if I indulge, my glucose goes crazy. I stick with what works for me. I find that there are these diet evangelists who have found success with something and insist everyone else to do the same thing to find success too.

What works for one person might be a train wreck for another.

One of the reasons I am always telling people to monitor BG closely especially at the beginning is to find out how THEY are responding to things. We are all different and have other body chem/medical issues going on.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    What works for one person might be a train wreck for another.

One of the reasons I am always telling people to monitor BG closely especially at the beginning is to find out how THEY are responding to things. We are all different and have other body chem/medical issues going on.

THIS!!!!

This is why this group is so important to me.

Warning: RANT MODE ENGAGED

Is it quieter here than the main forum?
    Yeah. Sure.

But the discussions and advice is from people who actually understand diabetes and pre-diabetes.

Me, as long as I stay within reason, exercise, and take my Metformin? I’m golden and my A1C remains in the low 5’s.

My husband?????
    Two insulins. And a lot of Metformin. And structured meals and snacks. AND exercise.
    And still we see unexplained lows occasionally, as well as a few highs - but those are almost always from a little indulgence.

My diabetes? Yes I was overweight, but I was also active. I enjoyed candy , but not overly much. So I don’t actually know exactly what the cause of my diabetes is.

My husband was a lifelong runner and athlete. Always active. Always ate healthy.
    His diabetes is from exposure to Agent Orange.

People who jump in one of the main forum discussions and insist that diabetes is always caused by sedentary lifestyle and bad dietary habits really chap my hide.
    And they almost always follow that with insisting every single diabetic must adhere to an extremely strict diet.
    And that is just not true.

Some do, sure. But not all of us.

I’ve seen people tell a newly diagnosed diabetic (not pre-diabetic. Someone who was already taking insulin shots) that their doctor was guilty of medical malpractice for prescribing insulin and not telling the patient to eat extremely low carb.

I’m not down on keto. It clearly works well for some.

But that behavior of berating a struggling newly diagnosed person? And maligning their medical team for adhering to ADA recommendations???

Personally I find that kind of forum behavior reprehensible.

THIS group is quite literally a safe space, and I honestly wish more diabetic MFP users would find this group and participate here.
  • JudyValentine3
    edited May 27
    Options
    MargaretYakoda.
    I couldn't agree more with your rant. I belonged to a diabetes support group when I was first diagnosed. I was actually underweight because of my pancreatitis. Everyone in the group commented that I shouldn't be diabetic at my size. The diabetic nurse said, 'If weight caused diabetes, then every overweight person would be diabetic, and every thin person would be fine" There is definetly a genetic component to diabetes.
    I will always be diabetic because as of last dr.'s visit, I have only 10% of a working pancreas now. 50% was lost while in the hospital fighting C-diffiicle. The other 40% has atrophied over the years because of pancreatitis attacks.
    My A1C is closer to 7% than 5% and always will be. My doctor is happy with that. I did lower my meal time insulin dose from 1:15 ratio to 1:20 ratio, so that's progress.
    So, I just keep trying. The last few months, I've been more non-compliant than compliant, but I am going to get back on the wagon.
    From what I have read, and gleaned from the Anderson Cooper program, the MIND diet would be very helpful for heart patients(me), diabetics(me), basically all that ails me. And I could stop worrying about strokes and Alzheimers.
    So, this grocery day I'll skip the snack aisle, and do my best to eat better. I already eat mainly chicken, turkey and fish. I do have an occasional hamburger at my favourite restaurant, but I can't eat my favourite rib eye anymore because I'm sick for a week with pancreatitis.
    I'm glad people are able to find what works for them, and I'm hoping this will get me back on the straight and narrow.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    The problem with the main forum is that people have this one-size-fits-all mentality. I mean we somehow get the fact that people have different sexual inclinations and some people just have different tastes in music or different ways to process information. Somehow one diet/lifestyle is going to solve everyones probelms? It is not that simple.

This mentality serves to validate and affirm the choices of the person posting. They go to the gym every day and don't have diabetes. They were also dealt a different genetic hand of cards. They want to let you know they made better choices and don't have your health problems as a consequence.

This mentality also serves to shame the people with NAFLD, diabetes, high blood pressure, whatever. The message is that because you did not make the right choices that they made, you have a chronic disease.
  • JudyValentine3
    Options
    When I was diagnosed, my sister was quite snotty about it. She said to me "It's your fault because of your lifestyle." I was so insulted. I reminded her that I had spent 4 1/2 months in the hospital fighting necrotizing pancreatitis caused by the surgeon who removed a gallstone and nicked my pancreas.
    And, since she had the same lifestyle as I had, she should expect to get diabetes too then.
    So, anything that happens to me now, I keep to myself, because everyone has the answers even though they don't know what they're talking about.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Everyone is an expert. No matter what you think you can find a Youtube video to back you up.