Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday, 05/15/2024

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,253 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: The Behavioral Effect of Health Monitoring Devices (HMD)

I find that - for whatever reason - I move more when I am wearing my step counter. My device is pretty simple, just steps and distance. But, I do find that it appears to motivate me to move more.

What effect, if any, do the HMDs you wear have on your activity levels and general behavior?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,033 Member
    Options
    About the same. TOL and I do the Fitbit 250 steps/hour/12 hours. Keeps us going, and then trying to hit/maintain a certain level of steps per day.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    The only fitness tracker I use is a GPS running watch. I like to track my distance and my pace. I wouldn't say it's a motivator, but rather a means to gather the data I want to follow.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 804 Member
    edited May 15
    Options
    I'm a gadget user and like to use devices to track health. My Garmin watch isn't perfect at tracking steps, so I use a pocket pedometer. I aim for 6,000 steps daily. The Garmin watch is useful for roughly tracking sleep and a few other metrics. I also use a lactate meter to help determine my cycling zones. My main bicycling rides are done in Zone 2, which causes a little heavier breathing and conversation still ok. A couple times a week I get into the higher zones.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,885 Member
    Options
    Great question, and one I find challenging.

I’ve always thought of myself as largely a rational person. Little emotional pulls and pushes don’t really move me. WW charms? I scoff.

So I was surprised - and a little irritated - to realize how much I was motivated to close the three activity rings on my Apple Watch - 30 minutes of activity, some standing time every hour for twelve hours, and 420 calories of movement. The first and last are easy, but I find myself deliberately making sure I hit the Stand goal.

Similarly, I track my sleep using the AutoSleep app with the Apple Watch, and I try to get as high a sleep quality score as possible. It’s not just about quantity of sleep by about heart rate and movement in the night.

So it does motivate me - I’m sorry to say. 🤯
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    Don’t use one. Have used the step counter on my phone though to estimate how far I was walking.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,983 Member
    Options
    I use my phonak hearing aids with the app that goes with it. It's actually pretty accurate. Today was 7473 steps which is way beyond my daily normal steps. If I'm away from my phone my hearing aids store it and as soon as I'm back in range it picks it up and records it in the app.

Simarly my resmed bi/pap breathing machine records to my heath app and let's me know everything about my sleep habits. How many times I stop breathing per hour and how many hours I had my mask on and how well it sealed and my history.

I guess while I'm at it I am full time 100 % paced with a 3 lead pacemaker and it also connects to a device by my bed that looks like a cell phone and my pacemaker downloads to the device every night between 12am and 3 am then sends the data to my electrophysiologist and Records any afibs or any other items it measures. They've only had to call me one time to see how I was feeling because I had some unual episodes.

So lastly I am full time catherized and sleep with a bag at night but use a valve device drying the day. I don't feel bass about because I don't have to get to during the night to go to the bathroom. At 76 years old soon to be 77 in July I'm wide open with work everyday. I measure my urine out put every morning through the night but not not during the day.

I just about quality as a bionic man.
    I'm happy and love life just busier then I'd like to be.