I need Help please! I cant get into ketosis

Options
Hi. I am am a 54 yr old woman needing to lose 30 to 40 lbs. I followed a strict keto diet for 40 days losing 9 lbs the first 2 weeks then plateauing. At day 40 I was advised to break the diet for one day then restart with Atkins, I am now on day 4 of Atkins. During these weeks I have tested my blood and have never gotten above .5. I am presently at .3. I have logged every bite entering my mouth. Myfitnesspal is set to 20 grams carbs, 100 gram fat and 80 gram protein (protein is the only category I occasionally go over, but not by much). My calories have been between 1200 and 1400. Does anyone have any idea why I can not get into ketosis? I am baffled and becoming frustrated. I did Atkins about 15 years ago and had no problem getting into ketosis.

Answers

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,192 Member
    Options
    I Googled that blood value, and from what I found, at it you are in Ketosis.

Here is the quote, "As described by Volek and Phinney, a “well-formulated” ketogenic diet is composed of 5–10% carbohydrates (<20–50g/day), adequate protein (1–1.5g/kg/day), and fat until satiated. The hallmark of nutritional ketosis is blood ketone levels of 0.5 to 3 mg/dL."
  • themoralesfamily
    themoralesfamily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for taking the time to research that for me! I had read that .5 is bottom line but the goal of nutritional ketosis is 1.5 - 3.0, which is where id like to be but just cant get there.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,192 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for taking the time to research that for me! I had read that .5 is bottom line but the goal of nutritional ketosis is 1.5 - 3.0, which is where id like to be but just cant get there.

Yes, it is at the bottom of the range, but give it time. The longer you eat at a keto level of carbs, the more your body will adapt to using mainly fat and ketones for energy. You are in ketosis, and if you stick with this way of eating, you should go deeper into it. For whatever reason, your body is going slowly.

Having said that, I didn't have any way to test for Ketones when I started out a little more than a year back, so I can't say how long it took to get into strong Ketosis. Even now, all I have to test with it a breath Ketone device which is not as accurate as blood, but far better than the sticks.