Muffin-top...BE GONE!!!! 24 hours not enough!!!

Options
Tryxxie2013
Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
Hiya all,

I work in an office all day, so you can imagine how little exercise I get during business hours. I try to walk around the floor once every hour and I've now added a 30 minute walk during each lunch hour, so at least there's that.

I also have two kids at home...what with supper, homework, baths, etc... by the time they're in bed, I either don't have the energy or the time to do a workout. There's always something to get in the way, whether it be laundry, dishes...well, you know the drill.

I hate that they sound like excuses, but my life doesn't stop from 4:30am to 11:00pm. What exercises can I incorporate into my day that will help me get rid of this muffin top?

HELP!!!

Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Well, I definitely feel your pain. I gain in my belly and love handle area like crazy too. Unfortunately, you can't spot-reduce fat so you'll have to lose overall body fat. And if you're anything like me, belly is the last to go...grrrrrrrr. I work from 8-5 all week in an office too, with a 45 minute drive twice a day and it stinks. I have my husband keep the kid while I go to the gym after work for an hour. That puts me getting home around 7, and I still have time for a quick dinner and bath time. He's also on kid duty while I drive to my gym (also 45 minutes away) on Saturday mornings to go to my Ripped class at 8:00. Nearly every week I manage to make it there 5 times for an hour. If you don't have time for the gym, there's always at-home exercise videos that are really short...like 30 day shred. It's only 20 minutes. But probably the most important thing is a diet that will help you reduce body fat. I personally do 5:2 intermittent fasting, and mixing that with strength training has fiiiinally made my muffin top go away. GL!
  • fitgal122
    Options
    Go to the gym after work for even like 30 mins. To lose the muffin top, cardio is essential. Run on the tredmill or do the elliptical for 30 mins when you go to the gym. I know that it totally sucks, but you also have to remember that working out is only 20% of the equation. You diet is extremly important. So even if you cant make it to the gym that often, then eat very very healthy. Dont eat anything proccessed or anything that contains additives or other chemicals. I dont agree with the 5:2 fasting thing, it messes up your metabolism and makes you feel starved, which could cause you to binge. Just eat healthy and dont stress to much about it :) Stress just makes things worse. Relax your body and stay strong :) Good luck!!
  • sforrest28
    sforrest28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working out in the morning? I work out at home, but my family is asleep and it gives me the time I need. It also is a great energy booster
    :smile:
  • Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, thanks for the posts.

As for the gym, unfortunately I live in the middle of the country and there isn't anything for at least an hour in every direction. I'm looking into the gym near my work, but being an Athletics Club, they're prices are quite high and I'm on a tight budget.

I do have some workout videos at home, as well as Zumba Core & Jillian Michaels for my Wii. I'm trying to incorporate those into my day as well, but it's tricky. I know that it's best to do workouts in the morning, but as I already wake up at 4:30am, I really, REALLY don't want to have to wake up at 4:00am. I miss my sleep! LOL

But I know there's truth to the healthy diet thing and I'm trying to get my whole family onto it. My husband is suportive and my daughter will eat just about anything I put in front of her...but my son just looks at his plate and looks at me with this "are you kidding?" look on his face. I'm not giving up, though.

I don't think I can do the fasting thing, simply because I'm a diabetic and I need to eat to regulate the insulin I put into my body. Believe me, I know first hand what happens when I don't. *shiver* No more hospital trips for this little one!

But thank you all...I'm going to try a few things with your ideas...cross you fingers for me.

*hugs*

Tryxxie
  • danilyman
    Options
    Instead of the gym I highly highly recommend a 20 minute strength training workout at home. You cN use water bottles as weights. Interval training or hitt gives the best fastest results. You can google or youtube it and find great short videos. I also found pilates was great for reducing love handles. Mostly its all about what you eat tho. Cut back on white carbs and sugar. Nothing stores fat in our bodies like processed foods!

Hope you can find a routine that works for you :)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You need to lose fat in order to lose the belly weight--so overall weight loss is primary. Exercise helps with that--try to include your kids in your exercise: put them in a stroller and go for a walk/jog, put a carrier on the bike and tow them around, have them do the exercise video with you! You will be a good example for them. Start now when they are still young, my kids are 10 and 12 and won't walk/run/bike ride with me unless I make them.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've taken back up my "bad habit" of bouncing my leg. Who knows how many calories it burns but it keeps my leg moving while I'm sitting.
  • RoBalance
    RoBalance Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know ppl say that you can't spot reduce fat but when I do crunches every day for 2 weeks but tummy is usually a lot flatter. Should work the same with love handles, I'd think.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've recently got into doing workouts I've found on pinterest with simple exercises like push up, squats, jumping jacks etc. They're awesome when you don't have a lot of time & you don't need any equipment.
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! It is hard with the kids, but it might be a great idea to let them excersize with, it will set great example! Gonna try it!
  • azerty222
    Options
    A couple of things I've been doing:

I live in an appartment building and have to climb 80 steps. The other day while the veggies were cooking I did the stairs 3 times, once running with knees high, once 2 steps at a time, the third time 3 stairs at a time (but had to revert back to 2 half way up:). When I got back there was still 5 mins cooking time so I grabbed my weights and did arm work for that time. Every little helps! Who needs a gym? :)