Coconut oil, and Dr. Bronners

Options
conniedj
conniedj Posts: 470 Member
I am so laughing at myself. I have become the person that I would have called "granola" 10 years ago! My favorite go to things are coconut oil and Dr. Bronner's Almond liquid soap.

I got the coconut oil originally to cook, but now use it for:

cooking
baking
eating
Facial moisturizer
Body moisturizer
boo boo's on my children

I originally got the almond/hemp soap to get rid of the blight on my tomato plants and now use for:
cleaning my entire house--including toilets and floors
kitchen cleaner
hand washer when kids come in from outside
ant killer ( I found a chip covered with ants...sprayed....dead in 1 minute!)
green worm on my broccoli killer. Yep--after the ants it worked there too!
I keep a spray bottle with diluted soap upstairs and downstairs.
*need to try in the bath.....

Have you tried these? Do you have the "windex" of your life??

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. I use it for cooking anything from veggies, beans, rice and I add it to baked goods in place of other oils in the recipe (came out great in peach muffins this summer).

I also use it on dry skin patches in the winter and bug bites in the summer. :)

Here's my favorite brand:
    http://amzn.com/B001EO5Q64

I could not help but cringe at the word "windex" since my workplace uses it to clean pretty much the entire work kitchen. I have to try hard to remember not to put things I'm going to eat on the counter (to avoid it being saturated in poison--Windex is deadly if ingested). For a friendly "windex" I would recommend Method brand's glass cleaner. It smells minty and you don't have to worry if you have small children or pets pressing their noses against the glass windows. I also have a glass topped patio table it works well on. :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    and thank you of course for posting your friendlier version of "windex"! :flowerforyou:
  • conniedj
    Options
    lol..."windex" was a reference from the movie"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" ~the greek father used windex on everything!!! So I call the Bronner's "my windex"...haven't tried on mirrors...guessing fat based soap? It would not be pretty!!
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    I've used coconut oil forever for soap making and then started cooking with it. I use straight Shea as a moisturizer bc coconut oil is a comedogenic. I have oily skin and coconut oil clogs my pores, but i love it as an eye makeup remover.

Have you ever tried oil pulling? I tried it once with coconut oil and puked! I feel like I can't be a true health nut without oil pulling! :)
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Loooooove coconut oil and totally use it for all of the above mentioned things!

My 'Windex' is ACV- I use it for:

1:1 water:acv mix for cleaning my counters, with a few drops of tea tree oil added
    same mix for washing my hands when I'm in the kitchen doing food prep

2:1 water:acv mix for rinsing my hair (after i've scrubbed my scalp with baking soda)
    same mix for washing my skin

I drink a tsp in some water as many days as I can remember

I add a couple shots of acv to the bone broth I've started making

Sooooo many uses, and you're right Connie... so 'granola,' haha!!
  • conniedj
    Options
    Yah, I have a pretty strong gag reflex...in fact just thinking about swishing oil in my mouth for any length of time makes me......uh oh.....sorry.....started gagging! ; )

I thought coconut oil was non-comedogenic?? I know that it has anti-bactierial properties??
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried oil pulling? I tried it once with coconut oil and puked! I feel like I can't be a true health nut without oil pulling! :)

I've read about it a few times... I may try it tonight and report back!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Loooooove coconut oil and totally use it for all of the above mentioned things!

My 'Windex' is ACV- I use it for:

1:1 water:acv mix for cleaning my counters, with a few drops of tea tree oil added
    same mix for washing my hands when I'm in the kitchen doing food prep

2:1 water:acv mix for rinsing my hair (after i've scrubbed my scalp with baking soda)
    same mix for washing my skin

I drink a tsp in some water as many days as I can remember

I add a couple shots of acv to the bone broth I've started making

Sooooo many uses, and you're right Connie... so 'granola,' haha!!

Yup - that's my Windex too. Works fantastic.
    I use it as a hair rinse too - one part ACV, two parts water, splash of jojoba oil and a few drops of rosemary oil does wonders.
    My dad swears by it for his diabetes and drinks 3/4 ounce before each meal and he was able (with diet changes and exercise) to come completely off his meds - the ACV is what finally balanced his day out.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I am so laughing at myself. I have become the person that I would have called "granola" 10 years ago!

:laugh: Me too! Totally. I'm a hippie! Course, I'm probably the only hippie I know that owns a chanel purse...but you gotta draw the line somewhere. :wink:
  • conniedj
    Options
    lol. Chanel....dior,,..nothing wrong with a little pretty to go with the coconut oil and granola!!! So we need to coin a new phrase....how about Chippie=Chic + Hippie????? : )
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    lol. Chanel....dior,,..nothing wrong with a little pretty to go with the coconut oil and granola!!! So we need to coin a new phrase....how about Chippie=Chic + Hippie????? : )

I'm so in. I'm a chippie! :happy:
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Like the song "Hippie Chick"? Or are you guys too young to remember that?
  • conniedj
    Options
    I totally remember that song!! Chippies! And Hippie chicks!!!!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic hair conditioner, too. I put my hair into a ponytail and dip my ponytail into the jar, squeeze out the excess and wrap it in a bun with plastic wrap around it. I actually got that little tip off the back of the jar I bought in the cooking oil aisle at the supermarket. :wink: