1 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
¾-1 Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
3-4 Slices or ½+ Cup Vegan Cheddar Cheese
½ tsp. Nutritional Yeast
¼ tsp. Yellow Mustard condiment
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
Sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper optional

Instructions:
  • Bring a pot of salted water or salted veggie broth to a boil over high heat.
  • Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box.
  • While the pasta cooks, in a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook until a thick paste forms.
  • Slowly whisk in milk. Whisk out any lumps. Whisk until the mixture thickens.
  • Turn the heat to low.
  • Stir in cheese until completely melted.
  • After the cheese is incorporated, add in the nutritional yeast, yellow mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Add your sprinkle of cayenne pepper at this stage as well if you wish.
  • Taste the cheese sauce and make sure it is to your liking, then fold in your drained macaroni pasta.
  • Serve immediately.

What's Your Favorite Vegan Recipe Right Now? Please Share (:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    I'm hopelessly lazy, and also don't usually use recipes (I "just cook", nearly half a century into this meal-prep stuff as an adult :D .)

One of my favorite quick things is something I've shared here before: Ezekiel tortilla (taco size; on one half, layer dill mustard, smoked tofu sliced thin, cheese (I'm vegetarian, usually use dairy cheese but vegan cheese or no cheese is fine, too), thinly sliced raw onion (sweet onions when available). Fold over, then warm that it microwave (or oven/pan) to melt cheese, then add a generous amount of raw sauerkraut. I find it easier to eat if I slice it in half across the fold/edge.

Amounts vary a little, usually around 15g mustard, 85g tofu, 30g cheese, 20g onion, 60g sauerkraut, which adds up to roughly 360 calories, 29g protein, 15g fat, 28g carbs. Dropping the cheese would be a little lower protein/calorie level. If I were going to skip cheese, I'd consider mixing some nutritional yeast with the mustard, but that's speculative.
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    My Go-to Khichdi Recipe
    The original recipe is from a little book I bought 25 years ago (in German), waiting for a train in Germany. I must have made this more than a hundred times by now. My own additions are the zucchini and soy curls, the original recipe uses 3x more oil (or ghee).

Ingredients:
    75 g Moong Dal (split yellow mung beans)
    75 g Red Lentils
    75 g Basmati Rice (I prefer white in this recipe)
    2 Tbl Neutral Oil
    1–2-inch piece of cinnamon stick
    4 green cardamom pods
    2 bay leaves
    3 cloves garlic – finely chopped or pressed
    1 inch knob ginger, grated or finely chopped
    1 onion (I use red) – cut into thin rings
    1-2 roma-sized tomatoes, diced
    1 Tsp turmeric
    ½ tsp Indian Chili powder (NOT American Chili mix, if needed, substitute with Cayenne)
    1 Tsp Salt (can use less if watching salt)
    ½ Tsp Sugar (I omit this, can’t tell the difference, but supposedly cuts the acidity of the tomato)
    1.25 L water (5 cups, I boil it in the kettle)
    Optional:
    3 small green chilis (Thai), halved (take out the seeds if sensitive to spice)
    2-5 small zucchinis or 1-2 bigger ones (diced, not in original recipe, but I love it)
    50 g Butler Soy Curls (not in the original recipe, but boosts protein content and is not offensive. I recommend making it without the first time, but I've grown to like them in there.)

Prep:
    • Toast the moong dal in a dry pan until slightly brown
    • Mix moong dal with the red lentils and basmati
    • Rinse the dals/rice until the water is clear, let them drain until use (I do this while the onions cook)
    • In a dutch oven or deep/large pan with a cover, heat oil over medium heat
    • Add bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods, let them sizzle until bay leaves change color (less than a minute)
    • Add onions, garlic, ginger and cook until onions are slightly brown/translucent, normally a few minutes (I often add the garlic/ginger a little later than the onions)
    • Add turmeric, chili powder, salt, sugar (if using), stir, and cook for a few seconds
    • Add tomato, stir again, and cook until tomato pieces are soft, a few minutes
    • Add rice/dal mix, stir well, and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally (reduce heat if needed)
    • Add the water (and soy curls, if using) and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 17-20 min
    • Stir in chopped zucchini and simmer for another 15-20 min
    • Take off the heat and stir in the green chilis, if using.

This week’s batch, topped with seitan 😆 - I also would not recommend topping with seitan the first time (not very much in the spirit of khichdi), I like to sautee a little seitan with cumin (this was a lot, must have been a strength day):
    sqab1knvavum.jpeg