New to the group

sillyak2
sillyak2 Posts: 1 Member
I have type 2 diabetes with an A1C of 9. I am currently working on getting my blood sticks under 200 every day. I am struggling with what to eat and waking up in the middle of the night hungry because I’m struggling to eat enough every day. I have food allergies which limits my choices. I crave pasta! This is life and death to me because I have a tumor in my breast that needs removed before it becomes cancerous. I have been denied the surgery because my A1C is too high. I’m currently starting on adding more metformin. I need some good food suggestions to prevent middle of the night hunger. Sorry this is so long!! Just need encouragement!

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,949 Member
    Welcome!

Protein can be very beneficial for reducing hunger.

As for pasta, there are some substitutions you can try.

Spiral zucchini with some sauce is a classic.

But if you want to try something closer to the more traditional types of pasta
    Banza brand is made from chick peas and tastes very similar to regular wheat pasta.
    This article surveys a few different types.
    https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/g38005383/low-carb-pasta/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_whm_md_dsa_prog_mix_us_19935606851&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsaqzBhDdARIsAK2gqncKSUPODAwZCSUBDedyTPYowuR3v9fN5V8mOhJyP93qBxwY87Uq3hcaAi56EALw_wcB
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    I claim the metformin will get the numbers down.

I second the suggestion about the spiral cut zucchini as a carrier for sauce and parmesan.

I am Type 2 and was diagnosed in 2016. I found that I could not get even a fasting reading on metformin under 200. My doctor wanted to add more meds, and before doing that I decided to try reducing and managing carbs. For me, that is what it took.

My personal goto when I have the hungries is a cheese stick. They are prepackaged/measured. They satisfy me and hold me over.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,949 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I claim the metformin will get the numbers down.

I second the suggestion about the spiral cut zucchini as a carrier for sauce and parmesan.

I am Type 2 and was diagnosed in 2016. I found that I could not get even a fasting reading on metformin under 200. My doctor wanted to add more meds, and before doing that I decided to try reducing and managing carbs. For me, that is what it took.

My personal goto when I have the hungries is a cheese stick. They are prepackaged/measured. They satisfy me and hold me over.

X2 on the prepackaged cheese!
    Cheese sticks, Laughing Cow, Baby Bel, and in the Pacific Northwest we have Tillamook in 3/4 oz (90 calories) prepackaged servings.

I’ve also found single serving nuts and peanut butter to be helpful.

• JudyValentine3
    JudyValentine3 Posts: 70 Member
    I've never tried the spiraled zucchini, but I do use spaghetti squash. If it's big enough, once you cook it in the oven, when you scrape out the insides, it comes out just like spagetti. Smaller ones are good too, the insides just come out a little different.
    To lessen your hunger, try a snack in the evening before bedtime. Like the other have said, protein is a good choice. And never underestimate a good snack mid-day. A piece of fruit. Apples go well with a piece of cheese.
    Good luck.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    If I get the hungries, I like a snack of peanuts or almonds too.