Welcome and Introductions

Options
2»

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,444 Member
    Options
    Hi all. So here we are in another new month.

Good to see both returning and new members with us for July 2024. Little sustainable changes over time can create wonderful results.
    c1flujyvsbo1.jpeg
    I've been with UAC since 2017. This is such a great motivational space, where you get valuable support from the kind, caring members. It has helped me finally reach my UGW (just before Covid hit the world for six) and stay there for the duration. Posting everyday helps build solid habits which will help you on your quest for better Health and Fitness.

Although my focus shifted from weight loss to fitness/health well before I went on full maintenance in 2019, I'm delighted that, in October 2021, I fell below my original UGW, and I have managed to maintain this.

Bring it on!!!

Potted Bio - 2024
    Terri: Female; 77; living in Northern Ireland; married 57 years; 2 daughters, 3 adult grands: ex Maths teacher; volunteer group leader for U3A (University of the Third Age, life-long learning charity)
    SW: 227 (Mar 2014)
    LW: 131.2 (December 2022)
    GW: 130 < 140
    Daily Habits Update - July 2024(Things I aspire to, but don't always achieve)
      1. Log ALL CI/CO (Daily)
      2. Stay under goal (Daily)
      3. Balance macros/micros (Daily)
      4. Hydrate adequately (Daily)
      5. Choose healthy options (Daily)
      6. Steps > 5000 (Daily)
      7. Stretch before/after workouts
      8. 15+ minutes Cardio > 5 days a week
      9. 15+ mins Strength > 5 days a week
      10. 15+ mins Flexibility > 5 days a week
      11. Active hours > 6
      12. Practice self-care (Daily)
      13. Stay up to date with accounts (monthly)
      14. Mindfulness Practice/meditation ((Daily - morning/evening)
      15. 1 > 15 mins Declutter sessions (Daily)
      16. Be creative
      17. Purchase essential items only
      18. Read > 1 book from 'to read' pile
      19. Work on art/craft projects (monthly)
      20. Learn something new (daily)
      21. Actively Build Healthy Habits
      22. Be proactive re Celebrations

https://www.random.org/colors/hex
      517049zmdkjrcqj5.gif
      THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES OR SHORTCUTS to achieving permanent change.
      REMINDERS: One or two thoughts which might give heart to some of you.
      • Daily weight fluctuations are normal, and can be as much as 2 lbs a day for no apparent reason.
      • A general downward trend is what we are looking for.
      • Eating out can cause apparent weight gain because of high sodium levels, but usually goes quickly. Drinking extra water helps with this.
      • The human body does not react instantly to what we do to it. Sometimes it can take several days to see results.
      • Plateaus are a normal part of the process. The body is consolidating and adapting to your new way of eating/exercising.
      • The closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it becomes to lose weight, as your body becomes more efficient at using what you feed it.
      • When you exercise you build muscle, which takes up less space than fat, so use measurements as well as weight to assess your progress.
      • Getting/Staying fit and healthy requires a lifestyle change for most people.
      Stick with the process. It DOES work! But it does take time, effort,
      and most of all, patience!

• Ange1icious
      Ange1icious Posts: 24 Member
      Options
      @lesdarts180 wow truly inspiring that you got back on your bike after hip surgery. I would love an electric bike. I'm doing short rides but haven't yet got over 5miles, this year's goal is to push myself to the 7.5miles to work and same home. I also have osteoarthritis in my hands feet and now knees.

@takinitalloff I so hope that once I start to get my health and weight in check that my bloods come back normal, I've just had my thyroxine increased last month so fingers crossed 🤞
    • takinitalloff
      takinitalloff Posts: 2,171 Member
      edited July 3
      Options
      The UAC welcomes its new members @blondie123179 @loopydo2017 @yvette408

Please take a look around 👀 and click the little flag icon in the top right corner of any thread that interests you. When the flag is blue, you will receive a notification anytime someone posts to the thread. To unsubscribe, simply click the flag again to turn it white.

If you like what you see, we invite you to say hello 👋😁 right here in the Welcome and Introductions thread.

Here's today's check-in thread, come on over whenever you're ready! Any questions, please ask any UAC member. You can always respond to people directly by putting an @ in front of their username, like I did with your usernames at the beginning of this comment ⬆️
    • henridw2095
      henridw2095 Posts: 1,022 Member
      edited July 3
      Options
      I’m Eva, 46, and married. I have participated in the UAC every month since August 2023, when I got serious about using MFP (for the second time, after having slowly regained everything I lost the first time using MFP, almost ten years ago). I have lost 25-30 lbs so far and have 5-10 lbs to go to be in my ideal maintenance range. I am mostly vegan and always vegetarian, and I see improving my nutrition and tracking as permanent lifestyle choices.

I also post in the Herbivores of MFP group (anyone who's vegetarian/vegan-curious or likes to eat vegetable/fruit-forward foods is welcome; the link is in the spoiler). Since the regretful demise of the MFP newsfeed, I started an MFP companion account on IG (same handle), where I currently post a daily stream of consciousness. I traveled more than half of June and for the first three days of July, but am now on my way home and excited to get back to my normal routine in July. My health goal for July is to get back to tracking daily, eating mostly home-cooked, healthy foods, aiming for a ~250 kcal calorie deficit per day (unless I have PMS), and following my weight lifting (2-3x/week) and running (5km every 2-3 days) routines. When I find the time, I also like to attend the occasional yoga class. Another goal for July is to do daily hip mobility exercises (just a few minutes).

Thank you, @deskjockey925 and @takinitalloff, for organizing the UAC, and all the members for sharing their experiences - it's been hugely helpful to me. 💐