Treats during induction

Options
jess_1993
jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
So for induction I already do the sugar free jello as a treat but on those days that you really crave chocolate or something more pastry-ish, what do you guys eat?? (Oh by the way I don't have an oven haha). Would you guys recommend the atkins treat bars as a treat?

Replies

• Zuzanna100
    Zuzanna100 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So for induction I already do the sugar free jello as a treat but on those days that you really crave chocolate or something more pastry-ish, what do you guys eat?? (Oh by the way I don't have an oven haha). Would you guys recommend the atkins treat bars as a treat?

Aspartame is to be avoided on induction (but I'm doing old school Atkins, new school may be different).--I think that's in those sugar free jellos BUT, if you're not stalling...if it's not broke, why fix it?

The bars aren't supposed to be used on induction, either (again, I'm old school).

If you just have to have a sweet treat use truvia or splenda but I really don't think these are on induction, either but at least it doesn't have the other stuff in as the bars do. There's a low carb cheesecake that I think new school atkins does (yes, I did it--and stalled)..microwave...obviously, don't do the nuts....I never scrambled but the center wasn't cooked all they way but I'm a texture person so I preferred that to the scrambled.
    http://yourlighterside.com/2012/08/minute-microwave-cheesecake/

Warning: Everyone's different and I stall any time i use a fake sweetener or those bars (those bars REALLY get my appetite and sweet tooth going, I think it's the xylotol-spelling bad). A long time ago I was shocked that ATkins wasn't working for me when it had in the past and then I realized I was using the recipes I had in the past that weren't meant for induction. FOR ME, I need to stay away as much as possible while trying to lose but for you it may be fine. If you're only doing induction for 2 weeks may be best to wait but if you just can't help it...have a mini-cheesecake. She's got great recipes on that site but most aren't for induction.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Don't feed your sweet tooth - it leads to carb cravings. You don't need a treat more than once a week. Atkins bars stall many people.
  • MelMelMiller
    Options
    There are some good sugar free chocolates. Russell Stovers is awesome & has some variety. I ate the atkins bars after two weeks of induction. I also have sugar free lifesaver & other sugar free items. Just remember carbs - fiber - sugar alcohols = net carbs.
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I eat Atkins bars and drink atkins shakes and count net carbs without stalling. I also eat a popsicle (sugar free tropicals) that help. Also, sugar free ice cream sandwiches on the really bad days. I made cream cheese clouds once but they weren't all of that in my opinion. I also make a pancake made of protein powder and use sugar free syrup so that I don't feel so restricted. Some of these things and the recipes can be seen here on my blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/abbyolurin1
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    During Induction, I wouldn't. The problem is that everyone reacts to 'sugar alcohols' differently. Some people it will immediately stall, others it will give gas, and the lucky ones had no problems at all. At this point three months in, I'll have two bars a week, and all the sugar-free Jell-O that I can make. No problems.

As a side note, I don't believe in the "gateway sugar-free" treat leading to hard treats, like cookies. Maybe that's the way it is for some, but I've never experienced it.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    George Stella has great recipies for low carb yummies, some of them stove top for chocolates
    try the web page
    http://www.stellastyle.com/
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can try Linda as well: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/snack_recipes.html
    * Indicates that a recipe is suitable for Induction
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon or two of almond butter (100% almonds, no oils added)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    The first weeks are about entering ketosis and eliminating cravings. If you tough it out you'll be much better off in the long run. It won't be long before you can enjoy yummy berries.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Treats = cravings. The more you eat the foods you crave, the more you will crave them. Tough it out and you'll not want them again.