BDS Day 5

chrysbander
chrysbander Posts: 15 Member
Eat slowly and mindfully
Benefit 1: Brain has time to register that you are full
Benefit 2: When notice and enjoy food, feel more satisfied
Have you timed how fast you eat? Eating too quickly means that you can finish a full meal and still “feel hungry” There is a lag between finishing a meal and feeling full – up to 20 minutes. If you eat fast, eating slower feels like a daunting task. Figured out ways that will help you to slow down. Change something in the environment, when you notice the change use it as a reminder to slow down. Use a timer to remind you to slow down and put down your utensils for 10 seconds. Eat hot foods, wait to put something in your mouth until the last bite or drink is gone. It's suggested that you time yourself and put that number on a sticky note somewhere that you’ll see it and help yourself to take longer each time.
To notice what you’re eating, think about what you’re distracted by – tv, driving, being on the phone/tablet. Try eating one or two meals away from those distractions to help practice the skill of slowing down and eating mindfully.
Sabotaging thoughts and response card possibilities:
-If I don’t eat quickly, someone will be inconvenienced: I deserve to enjoy my food, others will be fine
- I’m a fast eater: eating fast probably caused my overeating and being over weight
- I don’t have time to eat slowly: I need to make the time, if this were a medical procedure I’d find the time, and slowing down is for my health
I inevitably am rushing because of time to get the next class ready, or I eat distracted by eating in front of the television. I use the method of not taking another bite or drink until my mouth is empty. I’ve also experienced the “inconveniencing others” because my husband eats quickly. We try to work on this together.
How are you going remember to eat slowly and mindfully?
Did you read your “whys” yesterday? Did you eat sitting down? Did you give yourself credit for doing those things?