Carb ups/cheat days

Options
Does anyone have these?

Replies

• Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Personally I would try not to. I find the first 3-4 days of getting in to ketosis pretty rough going and wouldn't want to have to do that on a regular basis. If cheat day meant coming out of ketosis and having to go through those few days again it would not be worth it to me.

I know that I will be eating much higher carb when I go on my holidays in November, but I don't think having "cheat" days on anything like a regular basic would help me.

Just my opinion based on me, some others may do it with no harm or even benefit to this way of eating.
  • teaddicted
    Options
    i have a day of carb up every two weeks and it's fabulous. (today is my cheat day by the way i feel so much energy).
    i think it's so useful, especially when you're doing keto for a long period of time!

it gives you all the energy back and help a lot for muscles weakness!
    to me it is WAY less difficult to go back on keto than it was the first time. tomorrow i'll have some headaches and that's it!

of course i gain maybe around 3-4 pounds on the the carb up day but it disappear after few days on keto. so perfect when you're in a plateau.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I cheat and carb up during a 24 hour period (Fri and Sat), and so far, I find the only drawback is that Sat night I'm starving. However, I purposely stop eating on Sat night around 7 pm. By Sun, I'm back on track, no problems, and tons of energy. I'm not sure what's happening with ketosis, however. I dont have a way to monitor it here.

I did read that we're supposed to eat low fat when eating high carb. I find that more difficult than anything and I usually can't manage to make that change.

On my carb up days, I don't go much over 100 carbs. I enjoy a little bread, brown rice, and fruit. It makes me happy, if that's worth anything. ;)
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've recently started doing a carb refeed once a week because I noticed my lifts were starting to get a lot harder. The biggest things I've noticed so far is that it does seem to help my heavy day at the gym a bit but it also leaves me with major carb cravings for a few days as well as leaving me much hungrier, very bloated and gassy feeling and much less regular. My body very much prefers being keto...
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I attempted this a few months ago and it unfortunately resulted in me overeating and falling off the keto wagon big time. Now that I'm 100% back on track with keto (today is probably about day 13), I am again wanting to test this out. I want keto to work for me as a long-term lifestyle, and I just know that every once in a while I want a burger with a bun, some fries, some real pizza, and some cookies and ice cream -- even though I know this food is not good for me, doesn't power me, and I don't need it for survival. My goal is to be able to do keto 90% of the time, with two meals each month to carb-up (around every 10-15 days). so my goal is to do a carb-up meal in early October -- once I've been in ketosis for about a month and hopefully thus keto-adapted.

I fully believe in experimenting and finding what works for you. I think you should test it out and see how it goes for you.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Carbs give me so much gas and reflux... but I just can't stay away from the chinese buffet once every month or two, just to remind myself why I don't normally eat carbs and to prevent feeling deprived.