Calories burned?

Options
cmh7770
cmh7770 Posts: 31 Member
Does anyone have an accurate count of how many calories are burned (average) in a jmbr wokout? I log 200 consistently whether I am doing phase 1 or 3...suggestions?

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the individual i.e. height, weight, gender, fitness level, intensity level. The list goes on and on. I personally wear a HRM to determine my calorie burn. At 5'6, 30, hovering in the 180s, and giving it all I've got, I burn between 275-350 calories. I know that doesn't help you much. If you are planning on maintaining an exercise regimen, I would recommend investing in a HRM. They are totally worth the cost!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I never went over 200 I think....it doesn't really have a lot of cardio, but I do go over 200 with other 30 minute workouts. I think of these DVD's more for strength with some cardio mixed in.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ms. Murphy. :D So many factors involved to determine the burn. I can easily go over 300 calories burned. I'm usually around 350 - 375, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. But I am 26, push REALLY hard, wear ankle weights, do this routine after my cardio, and lift heavy. I also have costochondritis that I manage, but still causes my heart rate to elevate a little more when I breath hard (although I have my doc monitoring me just in case I need to stop). So I also wear a HRM to get the right number. It's really the best way to log it. It's a great investment, so I would really consider getting one. Polars are the most popular and very reasonably priced with great customer service. Do a search on the forums. There are lots of threads about which one to get.
  • hollyelise68
    hollyelise68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and was burning about 325. Today I burned 385 on workout 3 because I did less modifying and more jumping.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor, i'm 29 5ft 1 and 147lbs I have a reasonable level of base fitness from cycling, climbing and other workout dvds and always clock in more than 200cals on a workout the most i've seen is 237calories, that was week 2 when i fully committed to those blooming running mans
  • Happytofu
    Happytofu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A HRM is the only way to know for sure, but I have an alternate strategy that is terribly inaccurate but has worked great for me for years.

In short, I underestimate big time.

I always use the lowest speed available when applicable: running, walking, biking, etc.. Today, I walked for 60m at a "very brisk pace" (~330cal), carrying a heavy bag no less, but I logged it as 60m at a "slow pace" (~165cal).

When I use gym equipment, I don't include warm up/down and then usually cut the time in half. I do the same for JM, where warm up/cool down don't count, then cut in half, as "circuit training, general". (I've actually only been counting BR W1+2+3+4 as 10m because I don't feel as sweaty or winded as, say, the cardio workouts, R30, or BFBM, where I go up to 15m.)

When I occasionally check my HRM, it's almost always an average of 50% less than reality. I like doing this because I'm tempted to eat back those calories, and sometimes do, but this way half the work goes into fat loss and the other half a snack-reward. It also basically eliminates the possibility of overestimating what I burn and accidentally eating it all back.