Article🧾 The cheap, unprocessed longevity smoothie a Blue Zone nutrition expert makes every morning

mkksemail
mkksemail Posts: 1,661 Member
edited August 14 in Social Groups
Article/Recipe🧾 -

Ahhhh, I love this ! I've been 'smoothie curious' for quite a long time, but didn't have a blender that was up to the job, really. I even bought a Juiceman a couple decades ago, which was a complete waste of money, lol ... I invested in a Vitamix blender last month, during Amazon Prime Days Sale (Ascent for about $200 off, woohooo!). My googling caused my Google Newsfeed to populate with this story, that I just LOVE. It's perfect, simple, no drama/stress/planning, just empty your fruit that's going, and a couple handfuls of nuts in a blender, and you're done. Bam!

Caveat: It doesn't have greens, however. Just fruit and veggies :)

The cheap, unprocessed longevity smoothie a Blue Zone nutrition expert makes every morning
HILARY BRUECK August 14, 2024 at 9:47 AM
  • Breakfast smoothies are a hit with many longevity experts.
  • A Blue Zone doctor shared one of the simplest recipes: a blend of leftover nuts and fruit.
  • His technique takes minutes and doesn't involve any expensive powders or green drinks.
Sabate, a healthy eating expert so esteemed in nutrition circles that he was tapped to develop the federal diet recommendations that are now in use across the US, says it needn't be time-consuming or expensive to enjoy a healthy breakfast. He lives in America's only longevity Blue Zone, where healthy eating is made easy by a mix of religious habits and local regulations that support consistent nutrition and exercise routines.

At home with his wife of 45 years, Sabate has developed a trick for making effortless, nutrient-dense breakfast smoothies. His "fruit shake," as he calls it, involves a few leftovers plus protein and healthy fats that keep him going for hours. ...

Sabate's fruit shake recipe fluctuates depending on the season, and what's available at his local market in the Los Angeles suburbs. But it always involves two core ingredients — leftover fruit (especially the overripe stuff that's about to go bad) and two heaping handfuls of nuts.

pirjd6gwyt3z.png
Sabate's wife likes to dress up the morning smoothie with a topping of crunchy cacao nibs. He eats it with a spoon, since it tends to be too thick to drink from a glass.Courtesy of Joan Sabate

more: The cheap, unprocessed longevity smoothie a Blue Zone nutrition expert makes every morning

Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited August 15
    Ooo I just came back from a Blue Zone!

I love cacao nibs!
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 314 Member
    Ooo I just came back from a Blue Zone!

I love cacao nibs!

I’m going to look for those Cacao Nibs.

@mkksemail looks yummy 👍

• mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,661 Member
    LOL Danny, I was planning on looking for those Cacao Nibs, too !! 😋
    Safari Girl, you live the Blue Zone Diet, yes? And how FUN, just returning from one of the Blue Zones! 😋
  • SafariGalNYC
    I do mostly eat a “blue zones”
    Diet (except minus the beans - lol I don’t like beans)
  • Nutbugs2
    Nutbugs2 Posts: 83 Member
    One of the things I do you like the article said is use leftover fruit and vegetables. Ones that are not at the peak of their freshness and might not be as good to eat whole or cooked. But they are great in a smoothie. I did that this morning with a couple peaches that we're a little on a soft side. And you know I have cacao nibs and I think I'm going to do that tomorrow. I also like to do smoothie chia pudding. So I'll blend up a an extra helping of a smoothie poured in a bowl with my chia seeds and put it in the fridge for the next day. I killed two birds with one stone.
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited September 15
    Nutbugs2 wrote: »
    One of the things I do you like the article said is use leftover fruit and vegetables. Ones that are not at the peak of their freshness and might not be as good to eat whole or cooked. But they are great in a smoothie. I did that this morning with a couple peaches that we're a little on a soft side. And you know I have cacao nibs and I think I'm going to do that tomorrow. I also like to do smoothie chia pudding. So I'll blend up a an extra helping of a smoothie poured in a bowl with my chia seeds and put it in the fridge for the next day. I killed two birds with one stone.

@Nutbugs2 - that peach morning smoothie sounds great! Cacao nibs are such a great addition. I love them too.

I made coffee this morning in French press, I added a few cacao nibs in the grinds for flavor as I was pressing and really added a nice rich flavor!

Chia pudding - I bet that’s going to taste great. 😊