Newbie with Bodymedia Band

Options
I have been wearing my bodymedia for almost a month now and I love it. My daily burns average about 2124 and my daily food average is 1890 which is an average deficit of 234. I have been stuck at the same weight for all that time, with minor monthly cycle fluctuations. I want to lose about 20 more pounds, should I do a reset? I love to do long cardio on my bike and I think that might be why my averages are so good. Most days I just about break even but the days I ride I have a huge deficit. If I were to do a reset, since I have the bodymedia do I just set mfp to my average burn? I am just not sure what is the best way to start.
I am 35, 5' 4.75" and currently 160.
My highest ever weight was 226 so I am happy to be where I am, I just want to know how to lose these last stubborn pounds without damaging my body.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are using the BMF for biking calorie burn estimate, you are greatly underestimated on your TDEE.

How were you eating before this last month, how much deficit, for how long?

When you look at your night-time sleeping calories / min burn on MFP site, find the lowest average cal / min x 1440.
    That's what it's using as possibly adjusted BMR.

I say possibly adjusted, because they of course know your age, gender, height, weight, and start with calculated BMR. And better estimated Katch BMR based on bodyfat% could be 200-400 below that.

But the BMF could have adjusted if the sensors work well for you.

Now find some time during the day awake, but sitting still watching TV or movie. Same lowest avg cal / min x 1440.
    That's what it's using as your adjusted RMR. (don't do that right after workout)

If BMR and RMR almost match, and don't have a good 250 cal spread on them, the sensors are NOT working well for you. All your non-moving time is based on BMR, and if it's off, 1/3 to 2/3 of your day could be off depending on your job daytime hours.

When you look at BMF activity level with MET's, find a workout you did that was pretty intense. Does it show the entire time there at higher MET level?
    That will tell you if it's estimating moving time decently.

So those are some reasons why the BMF can be off, because if you were literally at a 234 deficit, you'd be losing 1 lb every 2 weeks, right?

But if your burn really much more, then you may have deficit too big and too much stress on body, and eating at suppressed TDEE right now.
    Or, the default BMR is still being used because sensors don't work well for you, and you actually are burning a whole lot less, and really eating at potential TDEE right now.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I found this post interesting. I've been wearing a Bodymedia for a couple of months. I would say my average burn is 2400 calories, but a typical day is around 2200. At least that's what I thought. Now I have no idea if I should trust the Bodymedia. I've been lurking around this group but was too scared to take the plunge until a few days ago. I've been eating 2000-21000. Before that I would typically eat anywhere from 1500-1800 calories, and was losing no fat whatsoever for months. I feel like I'm eating like crazy now and that I'm going to pack on the pounds at an alarming rate! LOL. I just kept reminding myself that I'm burning at least 2200 calories a day and that my body should be able to handle this much food. Now I'm having doubts. Should I be more modest? On my housework days I typically burn around 2800 calories. Could it be overestimating my burns?
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    I really think from most opinions that have been shared on the subject that the body media fit tends to be spot on or to slightly underestimate a persons burn.

I grossly underestimated my burn for three years. Lost no fat in that time either. I used the fit bit type calorie measure. I never ate back my exercise calories.

I think trusting the body media and then trusting that your body needs to eat more will get you on the right track. It just takes a couple weeks of completely trusting.

You can do this!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I found this post interesting. I've been wearing a Bodymedia for a couple of months. I would say my average burn is 2400 calories, but a typical day is around 2200. At least that's what I thought. Now I have no idea if I should trust the Bodymedia. I've been lurking around this group but was too scared to take the plunge until a few days ago. I've been eating 2000-21000. Before that I would typically eat anywhere from 1500-1800 calories, and was losing no fat whatsoever for months. I feel like I'm eating like crazy now and that I'm going to pack on the pounds at an alarming rate! LOL. I just kept reminding myself that I'm burning at least 2200 calories a day and that my body should be able to handle this much food. Now I'm having doubts. Should I be more modest? On my housework days I typically burn around 2800 calories. Could it be overestimating my burns?

If curious, reread my post right above yours for instructions you can follow too.