Protein & Supplements

Andera0624
Andera0624 Posts: 2 Member
Hello, I had joined a Mounjaro for Diabetes group on Facebook. A bit overwhelming. Everyone is saying we need over 100g of Protein daily. I already logged my food for today and I'm at 73. What happens if you don't get enough protein? Also, they all talk about the supplements they take like this is absolutely essential. Probiotics, a bunch of other vitamins etc. I'm trying to get off pills, not take even more. I do take 5,000iu of Vitamin D because I'm deficient but other than that I just started Metamucil each morning. Any advice on what I actually need?

Replies

• FaZizzle
    FaZizzle Posts: 20 Member
    Hi there! The protein is to help against muscle loss, which is also why doctors recommend exercise and strength training.

I know 100 g of protein is thrown around a lot, but my doctor recommended to get at least 0.5 g of protein/pound to 1 g of protein/pound as a daily goal. Your weight is the key ingredient here, not a random number. There's no magic fit for everyone. Most days I'm over 100 g, but some days I may only get to 70 g.

If you haven't already, you may want to see if your doctor can recommend a nutritionist. My doctor's office has one on staff, but it's really helpful to answer a lot of these questions in detail.

I wouldn't take supplement advice online in general, and your doctor will be the best to know what you need rather than writing them all off.

For example, I take prebiotics and probiotics to keep myself regular while on Mounjaro per my doctor. I too am on D3, but I'm also on K2 and magnesium. I am anemic as well, so I take iron and vitamin C (for best absorption). Instead of trying to figure it all out myself, I turned to my doctor and the nutritionist for guidance. It saves a TON of confusion, and usually you can do it through your patient portal rather than waiting for the next appointment.