Get Your GREENS! September 2024 Challenge πŸ§‰ πŸ₯— πŸ₯ πŸ₯‘

13Β»

Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,353 Member
    @mkksemail
    I dunno.. fruit in NY is pretty darn good lol. πŸ˜‚
    You’re in Maine.. the land of the berry! πŸ†

Maybe the orange is making it a lil bitter? I usually go greens and berries with water. I like açaí too.

• SafariGalNYC
    Morning all

πŸ’« Last Sunday of September! Celebrating the weekend and relaxation with some healthy eats.

Plan was greens at every meal. Need a boost for the hectic week ahead!

Breakfast- celery/lemon/ spinach juice. Lots of minerals actually.

Lunch - tatsoi, mizuna, kale salad topped with roast chicken and peppers.

Dinner - cucumber, tomato starter with herbed duck entree.
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,661 Member
    Happy Sunday!

Ahhh, I had to google two of your ingredients, SG !! (tatsoi and mizuna). You certainly do have a robust freggie assortment available to you, and you make excellent use of it!

I don't know tho, I think there really is something to the 'produce tastes better in Europe' thing. I was googling about it, and a bunch of articles popped up about it. It seems in Europe, the farmers don't breed for appearance, they breed for taste. Here in America, farmers breed for shelf stability/transportation hardiness, and appearance. Apparently American customers are more interested in those things, than in taste :/.

I bought lots of fruits for the week, so I'll keep experimenting. I have green, Macoun, and honeycrisp apples, black plums, mangoes, kiwis, avocados, bananas, plus greens, ofc (will have to buy more). And some veggies, I think I'm going to try roasting/broiling some to bring out more flavor. I have yellow peppers, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Oh, and there are berries in the freezer - blueberries, and a mixed berry bag, and also pomegranate seeds. And I have an abundance of protein powders, plus the Unsweetened Vanilla Oat milk. And various yogurts, too.

What are the 'sweetest' greens to try? My first smoothies had a 50/50 baby spinach & mixed greens mix, the ones in the fridge now are just organic spring mix.

Cheers!
    ~ mk :)
  • SafariGalNYC
    Happy Sunday!

Ahhh, I had to google two of your ingredients, SG !! (tatsoi and mizuna). You certainly do have a robust freggie assortment available to you, and you make excellent use of it!

I don't know tho, I think there really is something to the 'produce tastes better in Europe' thing. I was googling about it, and a bunch of articles popped up about it. It seems in Europe, the farmers don't breed for appearance, they breed for taste. Here in America, farmers breed for shelf stability/transportation hardiness, and appearance. Apparently American customers are more interested in those things, than in taste :/.

I bought lots of fruits for the week, so I'll keep experimenting. I have green, Macoun, and honeycrisp apples, black plums, mangoes, kiwis, avocados, bananas, plus greens, ofc (will have to buy more). And some veggies, I think I'm going to try roasting/broiling some to bring out more flavor. I have yellow peppers, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Oh, and there are berries in the freezer - blueberries, and a mixed berry bag, and also pomegranate seeds. And I have an abundance of protein powders, plus the Unsweetened Vanilla Oat milk. And various yogurts, too.

What are the 'sweetest' greens to try? My first smoothies had a 50/50 baby spinach & mixed greens mix, the ones in the fridge now are just organic spring mix.

Cheers!

Check out sweet pea greens! They are great!
    β€œOrganic girl β€œ brand sells protein greens and they contain sweet pea greens. Very mild tasting.

Mizuna is a bit more peppery. Tatsoi… hmm kinda earthy? Versatile like spinach, but not as mild as spinach.

Beet green are cool too. :)
  • mkksemail
    edited September 30
    Sunday Greens! .πŸ₯—πŸπŸŒπŸ“πŸ”΅πŸŸ£πŸ₯•πŸ₯›πŸ’§

Ingredients:
    • Organic Spring Mix
    • Green Apple
    • Banana
    • Frozen Mixed Berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
    • Carrot
    • Unsweetened Vanilla Oat Milk
    • Water

lvux3njnkjx1.jpg

attfoqb44w0u.jpg

Not bad ... I think my 2nd one was just a one-off. The other three so far have been okay :).
    Cheers,
    mk :)
  • SafariGalNYC
    Happy Last day of September everyone!!!

Thanks for a great September Challenge!! πŸ₯¦

Having a green shake for lunch in your honor.

πŸ₯¬ πŸ’š
  • Emilienewme
    Emilienewme Posts: 498 Member
    Tonight's tea:

Basa fillet, brown rice, fresh spinach, roasted tomatoes, baby parsnip

3id8mkhrbmei.jpg
  • mkksemail
    oooo that looks delicious, @Emilienewme ! TY for a lovely September challenge, @SafariGalNYC , and ty especially for pulling me back on track after my trip. I didn't do well in September, but here's to a new month! My blender is out and ready for duty :D

Monday Greens! .

Ingredients:
    • Organic Spring Mix
    • Green Apple
    • Mango
    • Orange
    • Frozen Mixed Berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
    • Carrot
    • Unsweetened Vanilla Oat Milk
    • Water

yr3qi1ykeigz.jpg

050yfmksmknd.jpg

Biggest carb bomb so far (43 net grams), but hubby said it was also his favorite so far :). We had it with the 2nd half of the 2nd rotisserie chicken I bought the other day, plus another Oui yogurt pot.
    Cheers,
  • mkksemail
    Is anyone else in for October, too? I made a new October GREENS Challenge thread :).

Cheers,
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 4,186 Member
    Happy Sunday!

Cheers!

I have to agree with you. I’m originally from NY state & live in the midwest now. When I go to the Farmers Market on Saturdays the fruit/veg doesn’t always look the greatest or needs a thorough wash but tastes so much better than the weak/water store bought same types & you get more varieties than store carries, 5-6+ types of tomatoes vs 1 type. Good you on the vitamix as well. I’m struggling against my work schedule/no prep time vs getting greens in, but will keep trying.

• mkksemail
    edited October 3
    Happy Sunday!

Cheers!

I have to agree with you. I’m originally from NY state & live in the midwest now. When I go to the Farmers Market on Saturdays the fruit/veg doesn’t always look the greatest or needs a thorough wash but tastes so much better than the weak/water store bought same types & you get more varieties than store carries, 5-6+ types of tomatoes vs 1 type. Good you on the vitamix as well. I’m struggling against my work schedule/no prep time vs getting greens in, but will keep trying.

Hugs! It's a real challenge for me too (getting freggies in), but one that I will keep fighting to achieve :-)). In 2021, when I first got my fitbit, I made a goal to eat 3 cups of veggies, and 2 cups of fruits each day, b/c I was basically eating no freggies 😬. And I did ... okay, but it wasn't easy. I really just didn't like veggies (I'm getting better, lol). The way I finally found to consistently get them was to broil big batches of veggies, and put a couple servings into my eggs in the morning (a whole broiled onion, and a whole broiled tomato, was my favorite - add in a serving of Bacheldor Baked Beans, and I hit my 3 veggies at breakfast 😁). Hidden veggies seemed to be the way for me. Tho, I did have a salad a day, almost daily, during the green smoothie challenge about a year and a half ago, where I met SafariGal. I never made it to a smoothie, tho, lol

On the smoothies, my daughter keeps telling me I'm doing it wrong, I have to make a balanced smoothie, with 1:1 proteins to carbs ratio. But I'm just thanking her for the info, and I will keep it in mind, and then I just go ahead with mixing up whatever I mix. If I have to remember 'perfect' rules, my intake will only go down ;-).

And, .... I have to say: That's a good point on farmer's market! I'm past the grow season (mostly) here in Maine, but Imma do that come spring. Thanks, @filmgal30 ! πŸ€—πŸ’—

Cheers,