Water weight / weight loss stalls

Options
Hi there everyone,

Just looking for some reassurance/confirmation :)
I've just started Insanity recently. Before this I had been losing my steady pound per week without miss for 2 months. Now, right after starting Insanity, I'm finding myself 3 pounds up and staying steady (yes, water weight retained in my healing muscles, right?). Tape measure even says I've marginally gained some thighs and waist!

After a short search on the forums I've seen Insanity and weight loss stalls come up rather frequently which gets me a bit worried. Is this a known thing? Is it just water weight?... Am I going to magically wake up after some time and see all the pounds and inches I should have lost in the meantime disappear? (I know, wishful thinking)...

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I gained two pounds during my first week, and today, my first day of the second week, I am back down to the weight I was before I started. I know it was water weight, because my calves were incredibly swollen and sore to the touch. Now that the soreness is gone, so is the weight. Hopefully I'll start losing again.

Any time you begin a new exercise routine, you go through this. It's normal and nothing to worry about. If you get into month two without seeing any loss, take measurements to ensure you are losing fat, and if you aren't, you may be eating too much.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For me, it seems that the more muscle soreness I have, the heavier I am. Call it water weight, DOMS, or whatever...it sucks and can be very discouraging. Don't worry about it, just keep pushing through! When I started Insanity it took until the middle of week 3 before that extra weight finally dropped back off. After that I didn't really see any results until month 2, even though I was definitely sore all over again! Insanity is a process...you just have to trust it and see it through to the end. I was so happy with finally dropping a few pounds and inches in the second month that I ended up repeating it. Now that's Insanity!!! :laugh:
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the answers, now I have a better idea what to expect!

On I go blindly "trusting the system"! :)