Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

September Week 3 Group Challenge - Partner Up Walking Challenge

jessicakrall8
jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,390 Member
edited September 14 in Social Groups
m9lkft7xke2u.png
Back by popular demand, we are having our Partner Up Walking Challenge. The announcement was made a week ago and participants have been finding and scheduling their partnerships this week and we're finally here and ready to start on Sunday, Sep 15th. The challenge will run through Saturday, Sep 21st. I currently have five teams, but please get signed up today in this chat thread and we'll be ready to begin tomorrow.

For clarification, we will count ONLY steps for walking or running and not for translating steps from other exercise forms that do not include walking/running. The only exception to this is for participants who must make alternative activities due to a physical condition that requires them to remain seated or use other means to be active upon the advice of their physician. We have a few members of Fat2Fit who fall into this group and they know how to provide the translations from their activities to steps. We want to be as inclusive and understanding for these alternative fitness routines as possible for those who are under a physician's care. If you have any questions about these rules, please post and I will get back to you, but I think this is pretty self-explanatory.

Secondly, keeping these tallies takes some time, so please post your own individual steps each day, include the date and you can tag your partner so they're aware if that helps keep your teammate included. Do not post steps for anyone else. We're going to keep it simple this time and not included extra steps for pics/memes, but you're welcome to post those for fun and encouragement, of course.

I will post results every day or two so you can keep up with the scores and where your team falls in the standings!

Will be watching today for new registrations...remember to include both teammates and your team name. Great job on the names so far! You guys are so creative.

Looking forward to a fun week of stepping and good luck to all of the participants! You guys make this fun!

See you in the chat thread! Let's do this thang!
Jessica

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    lets-do-this-lets-do-it.gif
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Name: Across the Pond
    @lauren_989
    @strong_fit_ells
  • nansbones7708
    nansbones7708 Posts: 362 Member
    Name: 5k lassies
    @nansbones7708
    @BodyTalking
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,252 Member
    m9lkft7xke2u.png
    Back by popular demand, we are having our Partner Up Walking Challenge. The announcement was made a week ago and participants have been finding and scheduling their partnerships this week and we're finally here and ready to start on Sunday, Sep 15th. The challenge will run through Saturday, Sep 21st. I currently have five teams, but please get signed up today in this chat thread and we'll be ready to begin tomorrow.

For clarification, we will count ONLY steps for walking or running and not for translating steps from other exercise forms that do not include walking/running. The only exception to this is for participants who must make alternative activities due to a physical condition that requires them to remain seated or use other means to be active upon the advice of their physician. We have a few members of Fat2Fit who fall into this group and they know how to provide the translations from their activities to steps. We want to be as inclusive and understanding for these alternative fitness routines as possible for those who are under a physician's care. If you have any questions about these rules, please post and I will get back to you, but I think this is pretty self-explanatory.

Secondly, keeping these tallies takes some time, so please post your own individual steps each day, include the date and you can tag your partner so they're aware if that helps keep your teammate included. Do not post steps for anyone else. We're going to keep it simple this time and not included extra steps for pics/memes, but you're welcome to post those for fun and encouragement, of course.

I will post results every day or two so you can keep up with the scores and where your team falls in the standings!

Will be watching today for new registrations...remember to include both teammates and your team name. Great job on the names so far! You guys are so creative.

Looking forward to a fun week of stepping and good luck to all of the participants! You guys make this fun!

See you in the chat thread! Let's do this thang!
    Jessica

I have to ask. Where was the announcement made last week ? I looked back on the slimpossible thread and couldn’t find it. I’m just curious.

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,561 Member
    Team Name: Heart and Sole

@p8m6bwghh9
    @globalhiker
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,561 Member
    Q: So is the goal to walk as much as possible? And, do we include everyday activity involving walking such as cleaning the house and shopping?
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,259 Member
    Who would like to walk with me? I have been slacking on the walks lately and I love this partner challenge. I am aiming for a good 10,000. Let me know if you'd like to partner up!
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 49 Member
    Q: And, do we include everyday activity involving walking such as cleaning the house and shopping?

I really hope we include these because that’s where many of mine come from in a day. Plus I kick it old school with a basic pedometer to track my steps.
  • jessicakrall8
    19shmoo69 wrote: »

I have to ask. Where was the announcement made last week ? I looked back on the slimpossible thread and couldn’t find it. I’m just curious.

@19shmoo69 It was made in the previous group challenge thread and the mods opened a separate announcement thread last week to answer questions as well.
    Jessica
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,942 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    Who would like to walk with me? I have been slacking on the walks lately and I love this partner challenge. I am aiming for a good 10,000. Let me know if you'd like to partner up!

I would like to be your partner I am aiming for10000 steps a day too
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,805 Member
    Team Name: Walkin On Sunshine
    @Zaxa2021
    @frankwbrown

• 19shmoo69

@19shmoo69 It was made in the previous group challenge thread and the mods opened a separate announcement thread last week to answer questions as well.
    Jessica

Well shucks, I missed the advantage. Thanks for responding.

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,805 Member
    edited September 15
    Here's my thoughts regarding how to count our steps:

1. For those who have a sport watch or at least a step tracker, it can be as easy as just reporting how many steps it registers.
    2. For those without a step tracker, the question is what do you count? There are numerous step equivalence tables and calculators. I looked at a few and this one seems pretty common:
    PDF: https://getfit.mit.edu/sites/default/files/resource/Convert_activities_to_steps.pdf
    Calculator: https://tflex.github.io/steps/

I've always been a little annoyed at how my watch counts - or doesn't count - steps. I typically get no steps or negligible steps for yoga, tai chi, cycling and swimming. Using the above PDF, I looked up steps for my most common activities. Below is a comparison of what my watch says and what a step conversion chart says about my activities today:
    • yoga: 45 steps/min x 17 min = 765 steps (watch step count negligible)
    • walking: 122 steps/min x 57 min = 6,954 steps (watch ~6,000 steps)
    • water aerobics: 116 steps/min x 65 min = 7,540 steps (watch ~3,500 steps)
    • cycling: 130 steps/min x 31 min = 4,030 steps (watch zero steps)
    • miscellaneous (all non-exercise activity): ? steps x ? minutes = zero (watch ~2,500 steps)
    • total = 19,289 steps (watch total ~12,000 steps)

It happens that I'll be doing a Garmin cycling challenge concurrently with our step challenge, and for that I'll be cycling ~10 miles/day all week. Walking 10 miles would certainly get me over 12,000 steps, but my watch will give me zero steps for my cycling. Well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. In the end though, the purpose of the challenge is to inspire us and motivate us to get out and exercise. So measure your success on how well you rise to the occasion, not whether you get more steps than anyone else. Let's just have fun.

• Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,902 Member
    Looking for a partner as well! I get over 14.000 steps a day, but it is totally fine if you do less. :)
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,683 Member
    @jessicakrall8 - do we have a team name? Pep-steppers? Sole Sisters?
    -Mica
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,941 Member
    @Jactop Do we want to defend our title?
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,941 Member

Jessica

Well shucks, I missed the advantage. Thanks for responding.

Don't feel bad, I missed it too.

• 19shmoo69
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Looking for a partner as well! I get over 14.000 steps a day, but it is totally fine if you do less. :)

I’ll be your partner if you’re still looking. I get over 1000 steps a day.

• 19shmoo69
    Here's my thoughts regarding how to count our steps:

1. For those who have a sport watch or at least a step tracker, it can be as easy as just reporting how many steps it registers.
    2. For those without a step tracker, the question is what do you count? There are numerous step equivalence tables and calculators. I looked at a few and this one seems pretty common:
    PDF: https://getfit.mit.edu/sites/default/files/resource/Convert_activities_to_steps.pdf
    Calculator: https://tflex.github.io/steps/

I've always been a little annoyed at how my watch counts - or doesn't count - steps. I typically get no steps or negligible steps for yoga, tai chi, cycling and swimming. Using the above PDF, I looked up steps for my most common activities. Below is a comparison of what my watch says and what a step conversion chart says about my activities today:
    • yoga: 45 steps/min x 17 min = 765 steps (watch step count negligible)
    • walking: 122 steps/min x 57 min = 6,954 steps (watch ~6,000 steps)
    • water aerobics: 116 steps/min x 65 min = 7,540 steps (watch ~3,500 steps)
    • cycling: 130 steps/min x 31 min = 4,030 steps (watch zero steps)
    • miscellaneous (all non-exercise activity): ? steps x ? minutes = zero (watch ~2,500 steps)
    • total = 19,289 steps (watch total ~12,000 steps)

It happens that I'll be doing a Garmin cycling challenge concurrently with our step challenge, and for that I'll be cycling ~10 miles/day all week. Walking 10 miles would certainly get me over 12,000 steps, but my watch will give me zero steps for my cycling. Well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. In the end though, the purpose of the challenge is to inspire us and motivate us to get out and exercise. So measure your success on how well you rise to the occasion, not whether you get more steps than anyone else. Let's just have fun.

If I read the opening statement correctly, yoga, tai chi, cycling,water sports and miscellaneous aren’t counted anyway because this a steps/walking/running challenge.

• Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,902 Member
    Pupowl wrote: »

I’ll be your partner if you’re still looking. I get over 1000 steps a day.

@19shmoo69 Hi Darren! Happy to have you as a partner. Got a fun group name for us?