Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

September Week 3 Group Challenge - Partner Up Walking Challenge

Replies

• Emilienewme
    Emilienewme Posts: 406 Member
    Anybody still looking for a partner?
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,252 Member
    Pupowl wrote: »
    19shmoo69 wrote: »
    Looking for a partner as well! I get over 14.000 steps a day, but it is totally fine if you do less. :)

I’ll be your partner if you’re still looking. I get over 1000 steps a day.

@19shmoo69 Hi Darren! Happy to have you as a partner. Got a fun group name for us?

How about I Prefer Teddy Bears as a name?

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,561 Member
    I found not all sportswatches measure steps correctly. I had an older fitbit that used to count my arm movements at the keyboard as steps so I returned it. I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 45S, a few years old and it's been perfect. I've compared it to other folks who have walked with me and have similar gait and height and we are super-close, like our step variance is about 15 steps and that's with measuring a 2 hour walk.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,902 Member
    Looking for a partner as well! I get over 14.000 steps a day, but it is totally fine if you do less. :)

I’ll be your partner if you’re still looking. I get over 1000 steps a day.

@19shmoo69 Hi Darren! Happy to have you as a partner. Got a fun group name for us?

How about I Prefer Teddy Bears as a name?

Fine with me! Can't go wrong with a teddy bear. @jessicakrall8
  • RoblinB
    RoblinB Posts: 332 Member
    @Emilienewme Hi there! I would be happy to partner with you. My target is usually 8000 steps per day. Gotta name for us?
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 363 Member
    Happy to join if anyone needs a partner
  • Emilienewme
    Emilienewme Posts: 406 Member
    RoblinB wrote: »
    @Emilienewme Hi there! I would be happy to partner with you. My target is usually 8000 steps per day. Gotta name for us?

@RoblinB brilliant thanks. No idea for names, happy to go with your choice
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,390 Member
    micaroo4 wrote: »
    @jessicakrall8 - do we have a team name? Pep-steppers? Sole Sisters?
    -Mica

Pep Steppers was what you sent yesterday...I like it!
    Jess
  • jessicakrall8
    Q: So is the goal to walk as much as possible? And, do we include everyday activity involving walking such as cleaning the house and shopping?

@globalhiker Include all steps where you're wearing your tracking device...intentional and everyday activities...steps are steps. You just don't want to take swimming and convert to steps...
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Here's my thoughts regarding how to count our steps:

1. For those who have a sport watch or at least a step tracker, it can be as easy as just reporting how many steps it registers.
    2. For those without a step tracker, the question is what do you count? There are numerous step equivalence tables and calculators. I looked at a few and this one seems pretty common:
    PDF: https://getfit.mit.edu/sites/default/files/resource/Convert_activities_to_steps.pdf
    Calculator: https://tflex.github.io/steps/

I've always been a little annoyed at how my watch counts - or doesn't count - steps. I typically get no steps or negligible steps for yoga, tai chi, cycling and swimming. Using the above PDF, I looked up steps for my most common activities. Below is a comparison of what my watch says and what a step conversion chart says about my activities today:
    • yoga: 45 steps/min x 17 min = 765 steps (watch step count negligible)
    • walking: 122 steps/min x 57 min = 6,954 steps (watch ~6,000 steps)
    • water aerobics: 116 steps/min x 65 min = 7,540 steps (watch ~3,500 steps)
    • cycling: 130 steps/min x 31 min = 4,030 steps (watch zero steps)
    • miscellaneous (all non-exercise activity): ? steps x ? minutes = zero (watch ~2,500 steps)
    • total = 19,289 steps (watch total ~12,000 steps)

It happens that I'll be doing a Garmin cycling challenge concurrently with our step challenge, and for that I'll be cycling ~10 miles/day all week. Walking 10 miles would certainly get me over 12,000 steps, but my watch will give me zero steps for my cycling. Well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. In the end though, the purpose of the challenge is to inspire us and motivate us to get out and exercise. So measure your success on how well you rise to the occasion, not whether you get more steps than anyone else. Let's just have fun.

Hi @frankwbrown ...covered this in the opening rules. For purposes of this challenge, we're only counting steps from walking/running...no conversion tools with the exception of those participants who are on doctor's orders due to being non-mobile...they can do their chair exercises or yoga, gardening, etc and use a conversion tool to turn into steps. For everyone else, they must use a tracker (watch, pedometer, phone) of some sort.

Sorry...
    Jessica
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Cyncia85 wrote: »

@Cyncia85 I have not heard back from @Jactop so if you are still looking for a partner I am game! 🙂
  • jessicakrall8
    So only person without a partner currently is Jactop...anyone wanna team up with Jactop?
    Jessica
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,942 Member
    I need a partner if any one needs one
  • jessicakrall8
    digger61 wrote: »
    I need a partner if any one needs one

@digger61 I saw that Jugar paired up with you @jugar...got you two down...just need a team name...
    Jessica
  • Cyncia85
    edited September 15

@Cyncia85 I have not heard back from @Jactop so if you are still looking for a partner I am game! 🙂

@daffygirl88 - let's team up! Do we need a team name?
    Also, I haven't been wearing my watch today, so today's count will be low ... and currently sitting doing my assignments for my history course

edit/update - put my watch on.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,941 Member

Also, I haven't been wearing my watch today, so today's count will be low ... and currently sitting doing my assignments for my history course

@Cyncia85 ALWAYS wear your watch!!! LOL Yes, we need a name, and I am no good at that. Cn you think of anything??
  • nansbones7708
    nansbones7708 Posts: 362 Member
    edited September 15
    @jessicakrall8 just to clarify are we only counting steps from intentional walks or all steps for the day if we wear our Fitbit all day?
  • Cyncia85

@Cyncia85 ALWAYS wear your watch!!! LOL Yes, we need a name, and I am no good at that. Cn you think of anything??

@DaffyGirl88
    Tater Trots
    Defeeters

You've got Daffy Duck as your image. I used to have Tweety Bird as a nickname. We could be the Looney Tunes
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,259 Member
    OK @digger61 let's do this! I think we'll do great.

How about Team We Dig Walking? Or QuebAlba (sounds like a weird kebab, but has both our provinces :grin: ) or ?

I love that you are in Alberta - my daughter (and a lot of my heart) lives there. Québec has been my home for a long time, but I have grown to love the prairies and this wide country a great deal.
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,942 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    OK @digger61 let's do this! I think we'll do great.

How about Team We Dig Walking? Or QuebAlba (sounds like a weird kebab, but has both our provinces :grin: ) or ?

I love that you are in Alberta - my daughter (and a lot of my heart) lives there. Québec has been my home for a long time, but I have grown to love the prairies and this wide country a great deal.
    That name sounds great. Let’s do this.