🧮 Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: MEAL PLAN 🧮

hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,731 Member
edited September 25 in Social Groups
8hbioqlz78nz.png

❔What is the first thing you think of when you decide that you need to 'get healthy' and 'lose weight'?
❔What is at the top of the list when your doctor tells you that your blood pressure needs to be managed or that your cholesterol numbers are too high?

More often than not, they will suggest that you follow a low carb, low sugar, low salt, low fat, etc., etc., etc. diet. They may even give you a '2-pager' on what they might suggest for you to follow and then they tell you to make an appointment in 6 months to see how you are doing and out the door they go to their next appointment. This scenario is if you are one of the lucky ones. You could be one of those who have been brought to an Emergency Department of a hospital with chest pains, tingling in your limbs, shortness of breath, etc. After running a battery of tests your diagnosis is revealed and ultimately, as part of your discharge plan, your eating habits are once again attacked.

Most of the time, after such an appointment, you feel like a failure; you feel hopeless. Let me tell you, it is NOT you. Our food supply is tainted and clever advertising can entice us with delicious looking, overly processed food that, if you think about it logically, CAN'T possibly be all that good for you!! Whatever you think about nutritional information that is shared within the media, the more ingredients in a food that you can't pronounce and the less work you have to put in to get something on the table - the more unhealthy the meal becomes.

Searching on the internet for ideas becomes even more confusing ... many sites tell you to eat this and not that or to eat that and not this; but if you look closely you will see that many of these sites are also sponsored by those that have a monetary interest in the 'healthy food' industry. Although I don't believe everything that I read, even from those sites that are 'experts', I think that a lot of what is written here is true. Please join me in reading the following articles published by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

1. Tips for Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight
https://www.cdc.gov/healthy-weight-growth/healthy-eating/index.html
2. How to Have Healthier Meals and Snacks
https://www.cdc.gov/healthy-weight-growth/healthy-eating/meals-snacks.html?CDC_AAref_Val=https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/index.html

Of course, there are plans out there like Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Noom, Atkins, Paleo, Keto - the list goes on and on. Unfortunately, there is no 'one size fits all' and various plans work better for some than for others. You have to decide what interests you and then give it a try. Knowing that weight-loss and healthy lifestyle is not the same for everyone lends itself to the fact that you can/will try many things before you find something that resonates with you and fits into your lifestyle and helps to get the results you need. Do some research; pick a plan to follow what piques your interest and follow that plan for a period of time.

In business, they talk about adopting processes in a 'plan-do-check-act' format. It means that there is a task that needs to be completed. You PLAN how to get that task done by doing research and developing steps that are needed to execute that task. You DO follow that plan and CHECK your progress. If you find a flaw in the plan, you ACT to correct your steps to eventually have a satisfactory outcome. You really can use this 'plan-do-check-act' approach in many aspects of your own life. Why not try this approach to find the nutritional plan that resonates with you? What meal plan are YOU following for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey?

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER, EVER supersede recommendations from your healthcare provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't eat. If you are under a physician's care and a meal plan has been recommended for your specific needs, please continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓 Your assignment:
Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: MEAL PLAN 📓

It doesn’t matter if you have been searching for ‘the plan’ that resonates with you or you are doing something that is working for you, write it down!! If you blog
Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your meal plan for a successful 2024 Autumn/Fall 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s).

We invite you to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2024 Autumn/Fall 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and ‘Living the Good Life’ points based on weekly Challenge themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Saturday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮 Our 2024 Autumn/Fall 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up. 🔮

✉️ You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers in the 5% Challenge Community that will be participating right along with you. ✉️

📢 Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 AUTUMN/FALL 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information. 📢

====================================================
Please be sure to set yourself up for S-U-C-C-E-S-S!! Why not start by taking part in **ALL** of the Pre-Challenge Activities? Here they are listed (along with their links) so you can find/participate in all of them!!

Pre-Challenge Activity #1:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10924226/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input#latest

Pre-Challenge Activity #2:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10924322/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-2-set-some-goals/p1?new=1

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• nansbones7708
    nansbones7708 Posts: 431 Member
    Activity #3 meal planning.
    I’ve tried weight watchers, Rosemary Connolly, and other faddy diets and they all work BUT
    They are all restrictive and therefore unsustainable.
    For nearly all of my life my mum did all the cooking, using 1950’s eating recipes because that’s what she started her married life with, when both money and food were both scarce. If I put her meals in the tracker I’m always pretty close to 50/30/20 split and I can manage deserts and the occasional cake or piece of candy.
    Most mains I can batch cook and freeze. If I stick to my plans and portion sizes I should lose.
    With these meals I don’t have to worry about my five a day, because homemade soups are full of them and filling.
    Organic vegetables were all we ate when dad grew all our vegetables fed with horse manure.
    Carry out meals were not on the menu because of price.
    So I’m on 1950’s rations and it’s good because Anne eats them too
  • Ronnie_happy2ranch
    Ronnie_happy2ranch Posts: 489 Member
    Cooking is my hobby; but I have been working on cooking healthier meals that I can take for breakfast and lunches during the work week. Homemade soup is a great way to add lots of nutrients and vegetables into my diet and for meal planning as well - I also make my own broths so I can control the amount of salt that goes in my meals. Fall is a great time to add lots of root vegetables into our diets as well. I'm going for the half plate of fruits/veggies with grains and high protein meals during this fall challenge.
  • aalley5
    aalley5 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Definitely planning!
    29ccl3gqdd1j.gif
    Making soup.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 13,422 Member
    #3 Meal Planning:

I did so well in the Summer 5% Challenge I'll continue on with it. I'll staying in my calorie range of 1550 with after exercising having a defict of 500 a day. WIN/WIN!!!

I do not restrict any foods. If I want it, I'll eat it, in its portion size. If I want something high calorie it means during the rest of the day to go lower on calories (Increase protein and fiber, cut down on any carbs).

Oh the more I know about todays foods the more I fall back into the thought I was taught as a teenager by a Home Ec teacher who said "SHOP the outside part of the store with only a few items you'll need. Cook like your parents/grandparents did!" That just hits so much now.

I'm even going to try to make my own bread. As a child we had "Bread boxes" so the bread wouldn't spoil as fast. Now adays if you leave a loaf of bread out it'll look fresh even 3 weeks later!! BUT!! In days past it never would of, it'd of been very moldy. Something to think about!!
  • deskjockey925
    deskjockey925 Posts: 5,700 Member
    Meal Planning = 1300 - 1450 Cal a day / 85g Protein
    400+ Daily calorie deficit

Breakfast Smoothies
    Lunch Protein
    Dinner as planned per day
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 6,185 Member
    My meal plan is pre-tracking macros in another app as much as possible.
  • Patti241
    Patti241 Posts: 4,882 Member
    My meal plan is to just to watch my portion amounts and track my food more closely
  • francescopelandlucas
    francescopelandlucas Posts: 1,148 Member
    While I mentioned in the #2 answer, I had cut out gluten and lowered my sugar, I am also increasing my protein. My doc says I need a gram for every pound of my ideal weight. So I want to ensure I get enough protein. I really do feel better when I eat more protein. :smile:
  • Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 5,491 Member
    My meal plan is to continue on the pre-diabetic diet. I do read labels for everything to watch my sodium and my carbs. Tracking is a must.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,469 Member
    edited September 28
    Meal plan:
    My homemade protein drinks to take to work. Will alternate some days with vegetable soup.

Cut back on fruit intake.

No eating after 5:30

Plan dinners for the week.
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,328 Member
    edited September 28
    Meal plan:
    I already cook most of our meals from scratch with lots of veggies, very few processed foods, but do occasionally eat out, maybe once a week. Just make good choices focusing on protein with lots of veggies when possible, no sauces, portion control is important. Fast food requires careful reading of the menu looking for low calorie choices (love that they are required to post them). Once a month I treat myself to pizza, usually a cheap frozen thin crust pizza that I load up with lots of veggies and extra cheese, but occasionally a local restaurant pizza.
    1200-1400 calories split between 3 meals, 1 planned snack
    < 100 net carbs
    100+ high protein
    25-30 fiber
    No unplanned snacks
    Target:500-650 daily deficit, (but not going to freak when I don't hit that target daily as long as weekly average works out.)
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited September 29
    Meal Plan:
    Saturdays- classic country casserole and veggie plate, usually some sort of beans
    Sundays-meatless pasta dish/salad
    Mondays-meat and 3
    Tuesdays-Tofu dish, usually tacos
    Wednesdays-eggs (usually breakfast for dinner)
    Thursdays- restaurants or leftovers *always just one entrée, no sides or soup and salad

Fridays- fish or shrimp, baked grits, salad
  • KellyBisciotti
    KellyBisciotti Posts: 10 Member
    ~1630 Calories/day (adjusts w/ activity & weight loss)
    Macros: 20% net carbs, 50% fat, 30% protein
    Other nutrient goals: ~25g fiber
    Water: >8 cups/day
    Other factors: 100% gluten-free, low dairy/red meats/nightshades

Minimal dining out due to gluten cross-contamination risk. Focusing on lots of veggies, salads, protein, planning ahead, meal prepping to avoid decision fatigue in the evenings, that leads to binging and choices that don't align with my goals.
  • diamonds1202
    diamonds1202 Posts: 33 Member
    I've done keto, I've done vegetarian. They work and then they don't because I really don't want to eat like that forever.

The nutritional plan for this challenge will be CICO. Calories in calories out.

I will make sure at least one meal a week is a salad of some sort.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 2,714 Member
    ▪️ I will be continuing to keep within a a calorie deficit. My aim is -500 per day/-3500 per week. My appetite has returned so it won't be as easy as summertime but I will make a huge effort not to go over too often.
    ▪️ I will be conscious of what I buy to make sure I have at least two meals covered when shopping.
    ▪️ I will continue to learn about nutrition and food that will benefit me.
    ▪️ I will be mindful of portion sizes and variety on the plate, covering the nutritional division of food groups.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Activity #3 meal planning:
    I generally track all my food and try to stay around 1300-1400 calories.
    My main meal planning for this challenge is to cut out a lot of processed food and stick to whole foods, all plants.
  • luv2dns2
    luv2dns2 Posts: 548 Member
    My meal plans will include everything we need. I want to increase my vegetable and fruit intake and cut back on my starches. I tend not have a problem cutting back on potatoes or rice. I love pasta and have to watch how much I eat of that.
    I do like sweet things and generally don't overdo that since I like homemade desserts and they are a lot of work. In the evening I like chocolate and will make sure I do not overdo that.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 6,083 Member
    🌹
  • gouldsgranite
    gouldsgranite Posts: 4,249 Member
    edited October 4
    Meal Plan - TRACK MY FOOD FOR THE CHALLENGE. USE NUTRITION TRACKER TO ENSURE I'M GETTING NECESSARY NUTRITION.

Breakfast protein smoothies most days.
    Largest meal midday - healthy soups and homecooked meals
    Smaller meal with protein and needed nutrients for a last meal - at least one hour b4 bed.
    Healthy snacks only - veggies, nuts, and jerky.
  • Kateljm
    Kateljm Posts: 1,904 Member
    Meal Planning - Continue balanced diet, low sodium, low added sugar.
    Tracking nutrition and evaluating concurrent weight and other health measures to alert to fine tuning needs.