October Week 1 Group Challenge - Pumpkin Fall Challenge

Replies

• DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 5,025 Member
    Me and grandson #1 at Halloween last year.

24r1p5g85g40.jpg
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 42,885 Member
    This girl collects gnomes .. I have one for every holiday

8qka3dx2jvxl.jpg
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited September 30
    For the Pumpkin Pavlova

4 Egg Whites
    1 cup Fine White Sugar
    2 teaspoon Cornstarch
    2 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar

To Decorate

1 batch Pumpkin Spice Curd
    2 cups Whipping Cream
    ⅓ cup Pecans
    2 tablespoon Chocolate Shavings

• micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,977 Member
    BLACK BEAN SOUP
    6-8 servings

Ingredients
    * 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (you can use less if you want to reduce the fat)
    * 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
    * 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
    * 1 large carrot, finely chopped
    * 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    * 6 garlic cloves, minced
    * 4 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
    * ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (use ¼ teaspoon if you’re sensitive to spice)
    * 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained. Choose low sodium beans.
    * 4 cups (32 ounces) low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth.
    * ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
    * 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    * Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions, celery, red bell pepper and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetable are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
    2. Stir in the garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the beans and broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, reducing heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, until the broth is flavorful and the beans are very tender, about 30 minutes.
    3. Use an immersion blender to blend a portion of the soup (about 4 cups, depending on how chunky you like the soup).
    4. Return the pureed soup to the pot, stir in the cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.

Sometimes I will add a potato or a sweet potato to the soup, but I use more red pepper flakes because the potato will diminish the heat. The carrot and the celery don't really add much flavor, so feel free to leave them out; I am just always looking for ways to add more veggies.
  • micaroo4
    Baked Potato Soup
    7 large baked potatoes
    3 T butter, unsalted
    1 1/2 c onion, diced fine
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 c celery, diced fine
    3 T flour
    2 c chicken stock, low sodium
    4 c skim or 1% milk
    1/4 t white pepper

Garnish:
    2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
    3 T Scallions, chopped
    1 c cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions
    Remove skin from the baked potatoes and chop into 1-inch cubes. In a large saucepan, heat butter over
    medium until melted and frothy. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add celery and garlic to the saucepan and continue to "sweat" the vegetables for 3 minutes. Lower the heat slightly so the vegetables do not brown.
    Add flour to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon and cook for 2 minutes; make sure to scrape the spoon against the bottom and edges of the saucepan to pick up any of the mixture that might of settled on the bottom of the pan. Slowly whisk in the stock until all is incorporated. Add diced potatoes to the mixture.
    Slowly add the milk. Once the milk is added do not boil the mixture and stir occasionally. Cook soup over medium to low heat for about 20 minutes. While soup is cooking, cook the bacon until crisp in a skillet. Remove bacon from pan and blot excess fat with a paper towel. Crumble bacon and set aside for garnish.
    If you prefer a smooth soup, puree the mixture using a food processor, blender or immersion blender. Serve with a garnish of chopped scallion, a pinch of bacon, and 3/4 tablespoon of cheese.
    Recipe makes 15 one cup servings
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,479 Member
    I too love gnomes...it's the theme in my kitchen...before the week is out, I'll take a few pictures of my new fall gnomes on the kitchen counter and post it. Just really tired tonight and just got finished changing my sheets after being so sick for ten days. I'm gonna go relax and lie down.

You guys are making me want chili but I've never had it with cornbread...I usually have grilled cheese with my chili and Ritz crackers...Will have to make a pot of it soon. Might do it in the crockpot...
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    8iiaq0vmzuqo.png
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 107 Member
    You guys are making me want ALL THE THINGS! Today I decided to share pictures of decorations going up in the neighborhood and our dog Loki, he is 11 and not a costume kinda guy😁
    sd9qfr4ovxrd.jpeg
    9d295j41qdv7.jpeg
    peovidt7tec2.jpeg
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 107 Member
    @micaroo4 Are those leaves crocheted?
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 1,257 Member
    p8m6bwghh9 wrote: »
    @micaroo4 Are those leaves crocheted?

@micaroo4 I was going to ask if you made that?
  • micaroo4
    @p8m6bwghh9 and @lauren_989 : Yes,I made the wreath, and yes, it's crocheted!
  • sunshinezombiegirl1
    sunshinezombiegirl1 Posts: 28 Member
    I'm sick this week, but besides work, I'm working on my Master's capstone. I don't have a lot of spare time and where I live at is not really putting me in the October mood yet. I'm hoping to feel better so that I can finish a friend's pirate coat and to move my tiny house. Otherwise, here I sit trying to get well.
  • jessicakrall8
    edited October 1
  • jessicakrall8
    mtxzc2x7nvgy.jpg
  • baodell17724
    baodell17724 Posts: 132 Member
    hv2rkb0d0pfy.jpg
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    food network.com/ pumpkin ravoli's yummmmm🙂
  • lislisa123
    lislisa123 Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2
    iqe4ak6lcav0.gif
    pjgjdejnlw3i.gif
    xi9byxxbru82.png

• jessicakrall8
    OGC.f2fd439925587d9f31b36ca38a970bd7?pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia1.tenor.com%2fimages%2ff2fd439925587d9f31b36ca38a970bd7%2ftenor.gif%3fitemid%3d12562284&ehk=Al1ykucF4UHg5CP18BNFCxdWq6jg4O7cZjhU%2fAbsid8%3d
  • micaroo4
    u2l0768j0m6g.jpg
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,916 Member
    micaroo4 wrote: »
    u2l0768j0m6g.jpg

That is one cool photo!
  • jessicakrall8
    edited October 3
    89c8f4712fb66fdbcb323e917e58d2e9.gif
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 2,826 Member
    edited October 4
    I'm from Scotland and we dressed up and went guising on Hallowe'en or attended school and club parties. We carved turnips (well, mum and dads did because it was hard). Here's a pic of what they looked like.

7uua1t4malem.jpg
    At parties, we dooked (dunked/bobbed) for apples - a basin of water with floating apples was placed on the ground, we put our hands behind our backs and tried to grab an apple with our teeth. Another way was to kneel on a chair and lean over the back with a fork in our mouth and drop it to spear an apple. We also ate treacle scones, which were dripping in treacle and hung on a line of string, and ate them with our hands clasped behind our backs - it got very messy and sticky.

49p7ucatq2f2.jpg
    saxgbgzcie8s.jpg

• jessicakrall8
    Here are my new Fall Gnomes in my kitchen:

9vq8srzdhsxb.jpeg
This discussion has been closed.