October Week 3 Group Challenge - Ask a Question Challenge

2»

Replies

• micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,881 Member
    @micaroo4 Mentioned journaling as an evening activity...so for those who journal...do you treat it like a diary and just write whatever happened during your day...or do you start with specific topics suggested by the journal? How do you find topical ideas for your journaling? Do you find that journaling helps you emotionally or is it just a relaxing activity?

Jessica

I sometimes treat my journal like a diary and record the events of the day. Sometimes I use journal prompts. Sometimes something will come up in a conversation, and I'll want to brainstorm it more fully in the journal. Writing goes hand in hand with my meditation and organizational planning. It helps emotionally and it brings clarity, and often also generates an action plan. The journal helps me understand the qualities that I value most: integrity, simplicity and grace. As with most things, the more I use it , the more useful it becomes.
    -Mica
  • nansbones7708
    nansbones7708 Posts: 493 Member
    @BodyTalking
    How do you force yourself to get up and do something on days off?

I’m retired so I’m day off every day so that’s my problem every day.
    When I was a bit all over the place it just didn’t happen.
    Now I’m getting back to my old self
    I set my alarm and get up, have breakfast and go if I’m on my own.
    If Anne’s here I have an apple and a cuppa, get out for my walk and we breakfast together when I get back.
    If I don’t exercise first it gets missed because I get engrossed in other things

• micaroo4

Never a problem; I'm an early riser by nature, and I write my To Do list the night before. I make a game of getting it all done by a certain time.
    -Mica
  • nansbones7708
    How do you drink enough water during the day? I bring a refillable cup with me and then only end up drinking part of that or 1 cup. Not the 2 I should be drinking.

I don’t drink the “prescribed” amount of water because I don’t like plain water. I do drink lots of tea, however, since my doctor says, yes water is best but tea is a good alternative choice.
  • nansbones7708
    I don’t journal
  • micaroo4
    How do you organise yourself to stop sooner and leave the rest till tomorrow?

I'm such a geek. I have a list, and I set a deadline. Then I launch into it as a race against the clock. If I'm not going to finish by the deadline, I start rescheduling the unfinished tasks for another day. If the same item gets rescheduled again and it still isn't done, then it must be low priority and it's OFF the list until I'm feeling like it really is a priority. I'm good at prioritizing, scheduling and at estimating the completion time accurately. So my deadlines are challenging, but achievable if I work efficiently. Just know that it's totally possible to get a LOT of work done without being a workaholic.
    -Mica
  • baodell17724
    baodell17724 Posts: 91 Member

In Stephen Guise's book "Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results" he recommends choosing a "stupidly small task" like doing 1 pushup that effectively tricks your mind because its so simple, and takes so little energy, that once you're down on the floor, you'll naturally want to do more. As a writer he's turned a habit of always writing an easy 50 words a day, into usually writing 2,000 words once he's started (even when he's been tired or sick). This philosophical practice has worked with me: starting with 10 minutes on my peddler every day, to now doing 2 hours a day on it.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,444 Member
    @bodytalking I start first thing when I get up and since I'm limited to walking, I try to go somewhere fun to do the walking...somewhere I don't have time to go on regular work days...I'll pick a favorite store and walk the aisles...or go to my favorite park if the weather is nice, but in Virginia, humidity usually plays a big part in my plans, as I cannot breathe in it...air feels too heavy with moisture...so usually one of the big box stores (walmart, target, kroger, a local mall) will win out.
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,444 Member
    Are you guys big readers? If so, what are your favorite genres?
    Jessica
  • baodell17724
    Jessica

Ancient Civilizations, Mythology, Self-Help, Spirituality, World Religions, Social Justice, Diet-Health-Fitness, Christmas.
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Jessica

Romance for sure.

I just read "The Wedding People" a second time and loved it again! I am in a book club that meets monthly which gets me to read other things as well.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 2,766 Member
    Jessica

I'm not a big reader but, these days, I like dystopian future reads. I also like the oldies, such as Charles Dickens and Jules Verne. I used to read Clive Cussler a lot. I like authors from different cultures too, such as Larsson and Khalid Hosseine and Japanese ones but I can't remember the names.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 2,766 Member
    What do you like to eat for breakfast?

I've just eaten a bowl of jogurt with muesli, banana, seeds, nuts and dried fruit. It's high in calories but I'll only have two meals today.
  • baodell17724

Big mug of coffee, hard-boiled egg, bowl of 1/2 cup dry oatmeal and either 1/2 cup of cornflakes, shredded wheat, grapenuts, or Total) w/ 1-2% milk, and cinnamon. Lots of vitamins!!!

Retired and single, so I eat several tiny meals throughout the day!
  • lauren_989

I either eat eggs with toast or a kodiak protein pancake. I wish I liked oatmeal, as I know that can be really filling.
  • lauren_989
    Do you have a bedtime routine that helps you get more sleep?

I am always on my phone in bed which I know keeps me awake longer than I need to be. My mind just always seems to race at night.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 42,860 Member
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 What's your favorite Mio (or other brands) flavors?

Jessica

my favorite of Mio was strawberry watermelon... I also love Ultima which comes in packets or a canister
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 42,860 Member
    Well I am off to my thyroid test ... I am there from 7:30am to 2pm today then I go back tomorrow for the results ... I believe I have an under active thyroid which makes it extremely difficult to lose weight ..talk to everyone later :)